Choice of Sidearms

Rifles, Machineguns, Mortars, etc...
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Glad to lay this misconception to rest, although I think it has been done here before.

1. As 'shooters' in the military, we come to enjoy shooting and have an appreciation for what one can do with weapons with the proper training. Therefore, we come to desire a reasonable (for most) amount of weapons that we can use personally, or some actually collect a rather excessive array of weapons, most do not.

2. Carrying personal sidearms when deployed for combat is discouraged, many times with the weapon being confiscated if it is brought to the attention of the chain of command.

3. The unit you will be assigned to in the military will have specific weapons that are assigned individuals. Your assigned position is what determines what weapons you may or may not take with you into battle, if you happen to get assigned to a unit which is afforded the opportunity and responsibility for taking out the enemy to protect those of us who are civilians.
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Probably covering demining ops, road improvement, or some bs like that.
Saltbitch

Post by Saltbitch »

Sureshot- careful; you'll shoot your eye out!
Boattail173
Ranger

Post by Boattail173 »

LN, when you get to RGT you will meet men that can shoot that good and even better.
Bell

Post by Bell »

LN I had a platoon sergeant I won't name on an open forum that could double tap a .45 and the bullet holes would touch at 8 feet. Then just to show off he dropped a .45 round on 5 of 6 targets at 200 meters. I had no idea a .45 round would even go that far. This man was an expert with a .45. "If it ain't hurtin', you ain't holdin' it right!"

Prior Vietnam, Ranger, SF, Delta, Ranger. Some of ya know him and he was very very good with that weapon.

RLTW
Bell
Saltbitch

Post by Saltbitch »

I think that's where a good level of 'Kentucky Windage' comes into play. You are correct about the.45's trajectory; but then again, when it comes to shooting a particular weapon ENDLESSLY as Haney and Co. did, the tendency to master all of its nuances come to rest.

Now, I had a .40 cal HK usp, and I tell you what, that was a straight shootin' round. It has a much flatter trajectory than the .45 ACP. I loved it; and I've always been very much a .45 man.
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Buddy of mine worked out of Bragg. Said that they shoot so much, they can actually follow the round, visually, to the target.
Saltbitch

Post by Saltbitch »

Yeah, the USP is a friggin' brick; not very practical for what I wanted to use it for(concealed carry). The .40 is a VERY good round though, and Springfield Armory is a damn quality company. Solid work.

Return to “Weapons of War”