Introduction

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

VengefulIcebox
Tadpole

Introduction

Post by VengefulIcebox »

I thank all you Army Rangers, servicemen and women for all of your personal commitment and sacrifices serving the greatest country ever. God Bless.

I live in the midwest. I'm 30. I've never served in any branch of the military. That will attract attention, as it should. I believe every able bodied citizen should volunteer for service. It would be an honor to repay some of the debt owed for the freedoms others have sacrificed for.

I have volunteered twice.
In 1994, Army. I had only one interest, to be a Ranger. If I remember correctly it was hard to get a straight answer from the recruiter. I was able to contact a Ranger over the phone through a co-worker. (Will PM info. I remeber of him if asked.) He was able to give some advice on speaking with the recruiters. Longer story short = denied in MEPS for Asthma. A med. was idenitfied in my med. history that treated asthma conditions. I recieved the med. for a bronchial infection when I was 8 or 9. I got a note from my doctor and took the respitory test as described in the medical forum section of this site under a heading titled "Asthma and the Army". It was close but the test did not weigh in my favor. My recruiter told me to try again in five years since MEPS supposedly only kept files or details for that long.

So for five years I read military related books. Owned and shot many types of small arms, even competitively. Took a SCUBA class, was unable to take time off for my open water cert. Skydived once in an accelerated free fall course, still have my logbook. Waited.

In 1999 my time turned up again. This time I was working with several former Marines at a DOC facility. I admit they pretty much had me brainwashed. :D In a good way. So I went for the Corps. Security Forces seemed to get all the neat schools. A guy at MEPS asked about my previous processing information. I told 'em I just changed my mind. I didn't want to mess up my chances by mentioning Asthma. Turns out they changed the stipulation to "If you've ever been prescribed an inhaler." So I was good to go anyway. This time my vision was too bad. They said at MEPS the prescription lenses would not seal the gas mask to their standards. There was no way getting around it. Any infantry unit would require respitory protection so that was it.

After reading from this site for a little over a week I felt an intro. was appropriate. Sitting back as a guest is fine. I just felt that using your site demands the consideration of an honest intro.
I hope my details offer enough explanation for my lack of service. It bothers me more than it will ever bother anyone else.

I'll just read the site. Propably won't say much, as my fine avatar indidcates. :wink:

Thanks again for this site and your service everyone.
War is cruelty. There's no use trying to reform it, the crueler it is the sooner it will be over.
-William Tecumseh Sherman
SLEDGE HAMMER
Ranger

Post by SLEDGE HAMMER »

Welcome, PM sent. Good luck in your endeavors.
First Batt, Best Batt 09-12
Bell

Post by Bell »

Welcome to the site. Drive on and be the best at what you do. You can always serve your country in other ways.

RLTW
Bell
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

Bell wrote:You can always serve your country in other ways.
Absolutely!! Welcome aboard. We're glad to have you here.
RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

The only Vengeful Icebox I ever met was an empty one. :lol:
Vee
Ranger

Post by Vee »

Spartan wrote:The only Vengeful Icebox I ever met was an empty one. :lol:
Yeah.

My beer fridge keeps turning up empty when I open it.

Welcome to the site.
RSD 96-99
Ripcord
Tadpole

Post by Ripcord »

Welcome
A/2-501 Anb Inf 101st Abn
RVN 1970/1971 Northern I Corps
If You Have Not Made Out A Will Do So now ,SSG H Breifing new Troopers In Viet-Nam
Wakan Tanka Nici Un
Ripcord , Drive on
Kelly-Belly
Tadpole

Post by Kelly-Belly »

Welcome to the site!
Kelly

This should be you...that they call Incredible...
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Welcome
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Welcome-have you considered Lasik?
mipuke
Tadpole

Post by mipuke »

Welcome to the site. Lasik works.

Vanguard
"NO FATE" T2
Bevo It's Whats for dinner!!!!

Creeping Death
Ranger

Post by Creeping Death »

Welcome. I managed to unknowingly get by the MEPS docs with COPD, and served my entire enlistment honorably with that condition. It is doable, but certainly not advisable. Trust me when I say that the cardio-pulmonary restrictions are there for a reason. There are two reasons that I did not wash out; 1. that I simply refused to be a failure, and .2 that I had a little luck on my side, but it sucked in a major fookin' way not being able to breath right in that line of work.

Like Ranger Bell said, there are many other areas where one with your condition can serve.
A Co 1/75 '94-'97
Class 5-96
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

Creeping Death wrote:Welcome. I managed to unknowingly get by the MEPS docs with COPD, and served my entire enlistment honorably with that condition. It is doable, but certainly not advisable. Trust me when I say that the cardio-pulmonary restrictions are there for a reason. There are two reasons that I did not wash out; 1. that I simply refused to be a failure, and .2 that I had a little luck on my side, but it sucked in a major fookin' way not being able to breath right in that line of work.

Like Ranger Bell said, there are many other areas where one with your condition can serve.
And I served all of those years as a Ranger and in the Infantry and Im a woman. It was tough but,,....
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
Creeping Death
Ranger

Post by Creeping Death »

Hey, didn't they make a movie along those lines, with some chick that walked around with here titties taped down and a dildo stuffed down her pants?

Uuugh. That was a visual image I did not need this early in the morning. :shock:

Pastor, you are one buttcrack ugly assed woman. Dayum.
A Co 1/75 '94-'97
Class 5-96

Return to “Introduction Archive”