Prior service update

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
goon
USMC Veteran

Prior service update

Post by goon »

Spent all day yesterday in MEPS. Strange being back there. In the end it boiled down to only a few MOS options for Prior Service. Other than several Motor T jobs there were 2 that interested me. 19D (calvary scout) and 91w (combat medic). I am now trying to decide which will give me a better shot at moving toward my goal of Ranger. I welcome any input on this matter. None of the recruiters in the local station have any Ranger or SF knowledge so they are not a lot of help with career path info. Thank you for this opportunity to gather info. Reading posts on this forum made my MEPS day a lot more educated as well.
USMC 6492 (AD 1990-1995)
IRR (1995-1998)
USA 91W (2005-?)
Aequoreus tunc Miles militis
Prepping for the Q course
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

Not many Cav Scouts needed in Regiment....in fact, none. However, Medics are and through the years there have been some stud medics in the Batts.
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
Dublo
Ranger

Post by Dublo »

You are fucking crazy if you don't do the medic thing......the best job in a Ranger Battalion. I wasn't a medic myself.......but I wished I was.
I was in 2/75 from 97 to 00. 5-99

"He only loved people, he thought, who had fought or been mutilated. Other people were fine and you liked them and were good friends; but you only felt true tenderness and love for those who had been there and had received the castigation that everyone receives who goes there long enough." Ernest Hemingway
goon
USMC Veteran

Post by goon »

Roger that Ranger Abell9.
Ranger Dublo I believe that just sealed the deal. Calling recruiter now.
USMC 6492 (AD 1990-1995)
IRR (1995-1998)
USA 91W (2005-?)
Bell

Post by Bell »

You made the right decision. You're truly going to enjoy yourself. Don't just be a Medic. Be the best damned Medic on Post. You can eventually get to that Regiment if your shit is squared away. Good luck.

RLTW
Bell
goon
USMC Veteran

Post by goon »

Roger that Ranger Bell. I am headed back to MEPS this week. If all goes well I will ship to the 4 week refresher course on January 10. I figure this MOS (out of my choices given) will give me the best chance to actually make a good contribution to the Regiment when I get my chance. I have already picked up the recommended reading materials for this MOS and am working on the knowledge part of this goal. The better prepared I am ahead of time the more time I can spend on PT. Thank you for all of your guidance so far. I hope that the new recruits really do pay attention to what is available on this site. They will wish they had read every post later on.
USMC 6492 (AD 1990-1995)
IRR (1995-1998)
USA 91W (2005-?)
goon
USMC Veteran

Post by goon »

SFC hit_it, I have a quick question for you. While at MEPS I was told that Since I have been out for so long (9 years) that I would have to go back in as an E-2 (got out as an E-4). I can suck this up and deal with it since it is just a bump on my way to GOAL but I want to make sure that this is not just BS. They told me I could go in as an E-3 if I had 48 Semester hours of College (I have 42 right now). This is not going to deter me (other than busting ass to make my house payments). The wife is all for it even with my pay being less than half of what I make now. I just wanted to make sure they were being straight with me. Once again none of this will stop my old ass from getting where I want to be. Looks like I will be going to Fort Knox for the refresher course soon. Thank you for your time and thank everyone for their insight.
USMC 6492 (AD 1990-1995)
IRR (1995-1998)
USA 91W (2005-?)
goon
USMC Veteran

Post by goon »

Well I am in the Army now. The list was short for MOS's that are available to prior serice but I did get the 91w. I ship to Knox for the 4 week WTC in Feb. Thank you all for your advice and intel. I will give a sit-rep of WTC when I get there since I have not seen one on here yet. This is what they are making all of the blue to green enlistees and prior service with long breaks in service attend. Glad to be back in the Military again. Already started studying the manuals for this MOS trying to get ahead of the curve.
Last edited by goon on November 10th, 2004, 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
USMC 6492 (AD 1990-1995)
IRR (1995-1998)
USA 91W (2005-?)
Bell

Post by Bell »

Congratulations on your progress. Thank you for serving.

RLTW
Bell
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

goon wrote:SFC hit_it, I have a quick question for you. While at MEPS I was told that Since I have been out for so long (9 years) that I would have to go back in as an E-2 (got out as an E-4). I can suck this up and deal with it since it is just a bump on my way to GOAL but I want to make sure that this is not just BS. They told me I could go in as an E-3 if I had 48 Semester hours of College (I have 42 right now). This is not going to deter me (other than busting ass to make my house payments). The wife is all for it even with my pay being less than half of what I make now. I just wanted to make sure they were being straight with me. Once again none of this will stop my old ass from getting where I want to be. Looks like I will be going to Fort Knox for the refresher course soon. Thank you for your time and thank everyone for their insight.
a grade determination was submitted for you. if the Army said E-2, then that's what it is. sorry you would need the additional 6 credit hours before you ship, or provide a referral who joins and scores above 50. don't think a PS applicant can get promoted off the BCT Task list. ask your recruiter if he has another contract he can attach your social to for a referral and get that extra strip for you.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
goon
USMC Veteran

Post by goon »

Roger that SFC hit_it, I ended up getting the needed credits for E-3. The transcriots were incorrect. I got a correct copy sent to me over night and they were good enough to get the extra stripe. New contract is done and all is well. Strange but I am more excited about going in this time than I was the first time.

SpearmintRhino: Good advice. For all who read it and may need some extra.
USMC 6492 (AD 1990-1995)
IRR (1995-1998)
USA 91W (2005-?)
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

good to go.

welcome back to the team.

the reason you're propbably excited now is because chances are you are going over to the sandbox.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
goon
USMC Veteran

Post by goon »

I just wanted to say thank you to all of the Rangers, Vets and others supporters of this forum. I leave to start my Army life in the morning. I know that I have not posted many times on here but I want to say that I have spent hours on end scouring the forum and I will use the knowledge gained to drive on to my goal. I will be the best damn medic I can. I will end this by saying thank you all for your service to our great country to the Rangers and Vets and thank you for your continued support to the civillians and family on here.

Goon
USMC 6492 (AD 1990-1995)
IRR (1995-1998)
USA 91W (2005-?)
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

Good luck to you Goon
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )

Return to “Recruitment Process”