History of the Ranger tab

Three phases and 62 days of hell. This section named in honor of MAJ John Whyte who was taken from us on 04/17/05.
SeabAss626
Embryo

History of the Ranger tab

Post by SeabAss626 »

Rangers,

Do any of you know the history behind the actual Ranger tab? All I've been able to find is the history of the coloring. (Rudder's Rangers' tabs were dark blue and yellow). I was wondering about the shape and when they changed to that shape, etc.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.....thank you in advance for your time.
Too Long
Embryo

Post by Too Long »

I realize this is an old subject but as I was scanning through the site I saw it. To save any Rangers on this site from having to answer this question again in a different post here is the knowledge you seek:

During World War 2 Sergeant Anthony Rada of 1st Batt. designed the Ranger scroll for his Ranger brethren and himself to wear to set themselves apart from the average grunt. However, during WW2 this was not authorized to be worn by the Rangers. One year later in 1943 the Army released a diamond shaped patch of blue background with gold lettering that said RANGERS. The Rangers of WW2 did not like this patch and by the end of WW2 all of the battalions were wearing the unauthorized Rada scroll. In 1947 the blue Ranger insignia was abolished. :)

When the Korean War Rangers were formed there was still no form of authorized Ranger shoulder insignia. In October, 1950 Col. Van Houten of the Ranger Training Center, visisted the pentagon and discussed this issue. He favored a scroll similar to Ranger Rada's. However, he needed an insignia to award the graduating cycle on 13 November 1950. The Department of the Army had a patch in production similar to a black and gold airborne tab. Col. Van Houten accepted the tab in order to have it for his graduating cycle, and thus the Ranger Tab was born. In order to get the Tab an individual had to complete a 6 week or longer Ranger training cycle. The Korean War Rangers wore the Ranger Tab but also wore the Rada Scroll out of pride for their unit.

In 1960 an organization called Combat Arms Regimental System (CARS) was formed. This organization had the task of consolidating lineage and battle honors of units. Since there were no longer any active duty Rangers, the Korean War and World War 2 Ranger lineage and battle honors were lumped in with 1st Special Forces. Also in 1960 the Ranger Tab was retroactively given to the 5307th (Merrill's Marauder's). They were for some reason retroactively given the tab over the First Special Service Force. The 29th Provisional Ranger Battalion best reflects the philosophy and practice of the Ranger Course since 1951. These men underwent 2 months of prep training and then trained under the British Commandos for five weeks. These Rangers worked with the British Commandos for a short time but were then called back to the 29th by their commander for the invasion of europe. On 6 June 1944 these Rangers (the 2nd and 5th battalions) were attached to the 116th Infantry Regiment of the 29th Infantry Division. These Rangers were the ones who participated in the actions that gave the motto "RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!!!!!!!" to the Rangers. (a story for another time) The tab was also awarded retroactively to anyone who was awarded the CIB while serving in a Ranger Battalion.

The Rangers of Vietnam or LRPs were formed and the Department of the Army did not know what to do. As the battle honors of WW2 and Korean War Rangers were lumped in with the 1st Special Forces. At this point it would have been easy to withdraw the battle honors from the 1st Special Forces and give the Rangers there own history. An accurate and less confusing trace of Ranger honors and lineage could have been made, i.e. Ranger Battalions of WW2---Ranger Companies of Korea----Ranger Companies of Vietnam. However, that would require someone to do some paper pushing and so no effort was made in 1968. The LRPs were volunteers and were declared by the Army to be Rangers however they were not authorized to wear anything that said Ranger.

In the early 1980's the Rangers jumped into Grenada still wearing the Rada Scroll and 41 years after its birth the Rada Scroll was authorized. :D Rangers on Active duty during Korea and WW2 couldn't put up a fuss back when they were on active duty, however now that they were retired they could raise political hell for the men at CARS. These Rangers wanted to be part of the history they knew they had created. They were linked to the Rangers of Vietnam and Grenada and rightfully wanted their honors to be given to the 75th. With all of the political flak headed at CARS they were in no position to argue. What could have easily been done in 1968 was finally done in 1986. The honors of the WW2 and Korean War Rangers were incorporated into the 75th Regiments history. The Tab was never retroactively given to the LRPs of Vietnam not because they were undeserving but as it would mean that any future Rangers who serve in combat would have a claim to the tab even if they haven't attended the school.

Well there it is, the history of the Ranger Tab, the Rada Scroll, and even some Ranger history as they are all intertwined. Advice to DEPs and newts(like me): dont ask things that can simply be found by cracking a book or even googling it, also almost every question has already been said on these forums, the search button is a great tool indeed. I will now resume pushing.

-Too Long
"Airborne Ranger raving mad, He's got a tab I wish I had"
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

Not bad.
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
Too Long
Embryo

Post by Too Long »

Thank You Ranger Kilted Heathen.

-Too Long

"those silver wings upon his chest, tellin America that he's one of the best"
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

I meant it too.
That was actually an informative post and useful to other DEPs.
That's a rarity here.
You got lucky, now...shut the fuck up.
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
Vee
Ranger

Post by Vee »

Kilted Heathen wrote: You got lucky, now...shut the fuck up.

Nuthin like a little "positive reinforcement" :lol:
RSD 96-99

Return to “About Ranger School - In Honor of Ranger BattleBoar - RIP”