An Officers Path to "Ranger School"?

Three phases and 62 days of hell. This section named in honor of MAJ John Whyte who was taken from us on 04/17/05.
jelly

An Officers Path to "Ranger School"?

Post by jelly »

Good evening Rangers and gentlemen.

Through my searches on this message board and looking around on the internet, I've found a good bit of information on how an enlisted soldier would try to become a Ranger, but very little on the route an officer would take.

I'll base my first questions from what I've seen on this site: http://www.branchorientation.com/infant ... tduty.html

It makes it seem that you can become airborne qualified and try to (I emphasize TRY!) become a Ranger all during your first "assignment" out of college (granted that your request for infantry is granted).

A few quotes:

"All infantry lieutenants will have the opportunity to attend Airborne training during their initial entry training at Fort Benning."

""Rangers lead the way!". All infantry lieutenants will have the opportunity to attend Ranger school during their initial entry training at Fort Benning."

What's the real story here? Obviously, you're not going to the 75th as a 2nd lt. (since the only officer position I know of is a Capt.), but can you earn your "tab" right out of college?

Thank you,

Justin.
Last edited by jelly on October 26th, 2004, 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

they are both part of an officers career progression.

sort of "must haves" of the infantry officer.

neither one mean you will be assigned to an airborne or Ranger unit.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
jelly

Post by jelly »

sobersides wrote:This question was asked and answered numerous times on this board.
Really? I'm having a hard time finding it...could you please link me to it?
NoahH
Ranger

Post by NoahH »

jelly wrote:
sobersides wrote:This question was asked and answered numerous times on this board.
Really? I'm having a hard time finding it...could you please link me to it?
Dude what are you doing??? I just answered this for you. READ THIS THREAD. http://www.armyranger.com/bb/viewtopic. ... 49d7cd1d42

3rd post down, Ranger Bell explained it pretty clearly.... :roll:
jelly

Post by jelly »

From Ranger Bell:

"You're talking about a lot in one space here. If you go as an officer you will probably get the chance to go to Ranger School if you go as infantry. However, you won't serve in a Ranger Battalion until you serve in another unit and become a Platoon Leader. Then, with a lot of luck, you might be able to get to a Battalion."

Right, I understand and know what Ranger Bell has stated here.

The link I posted: http://www.branchorientation.com/infant ... tduty.html shows that Ranger School is part of your "initial training" at your first station after college.

Also, I realize that as a 2nd lt. you won't be going to the 75th. Need to get some time under your belt as an infantry platoon leader and progess up the ranks to Captain.

What I'd like to know is if what I'm reading is correct...that right out of college, during your initial training as an infantry officer, you have the chance, if you so desire, to try and earn your Ranger tab.
Last edited by jelly on October 26th, 2004, 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Beat your face dumbass.
jelly

Post by jelly »

Ranger Spartan,

I fully understand I'm a "newbie" and I must abide by your rules (or else!), but I feel I've done nothing wrong here...did all the prerequiste searching, but came up just a little short in regards to one single question.

If you feel I've messed up, please let me know specifically what I did and I'll make sure to correct it.
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

jelly wrote:Ranger Spartan,

I fully understand I'm a "newbie" and I must abide by your rules (or else!), but I feel I've done nothing wrong here...did all the prerequiste searching, but came up just a little short in regards to one single question.

If you feel I've messed up, please let me know specifically what I did and I'll make sure to correct it.
So...... you are calling Ranger sobersides a liar?

Perhaps it is time to you to refine your search technique and sift though our vaults to find what you are looking for. WE do not search for you. If your search yields 488 possible answers, it is up to you to find the one answer you are looking for.

Furthmore, we do not want you whinning. You are not a child any longer. You will STFU and search. You do not tell us to find for you what you seek.
excerpt from jelly wrote:Really? I'm having a hard time finding it...could you please link me to it?
You will apologize to Ranger's & any one else who have given their time to respond to you for dismissing their posts. Each step you take here is a building block on learning.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
jelly

Post by jelly »

Steadfast wrote: So...... you are calling Ranger sobersides a liar?

You will apologize to Ranger's & any one else who have given their time to respond to you for dismissing their posts. Each step you take here is a building block on learning.
No. All I'm saying is that I was unable to find after extensive searching any posts that answered the question I asked, and if he could, please take a few minutes to help me out.

I fully understand that you guys feel very strongly about the Rangers and demand respect and competence from anyone who posts on here and asks questions on you. Understand though that most everyone that posts on here has good intentions and simply wants to learn from your guys experience.

If I've stepped on anyone's toes, I apologize. If you feel the need to ban me, so be it.

Edit - And Steadfast...although it's irrelevant to this discussion, my stepfather was a SOG Lieutenant who ran two operations in Laos during Vietnam and my father was a Corporal in Korea who served in the 515th Truck Company.

I have the upmost respect for both of them and for you Rangers on here as well...my sole reason for being here is to learn, nothing more and nothing less.
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

jelly wrote:Edit - And Steadfast...although it's irrelevant to this discussion, my stepfather was a SOG Lieutenant who ran two operations in Laos during Vietnam and my father was a Corporal in Korea who served in the 515th Truck Company.

I have the upmost respect for both of them and for you Rangers on here as well...my sole reason for being here is to learn, nothing more and nothing less.
So, who are you calling 'Steadfast'? Your drinking buddy?
jelly

Post by jelly »

Spartan wrote: So, who are you calling 'Steadfast'? Your drinking buddy?
Ranger Steadfast. My error. I apologize.
Horned Toad
Ranger

Post by Horned Toad »

Well shit I went to the link and read # 16, what is your question? It say right there in black and white that the school is part of your initial training. I don’t predict a tab in your future if you can’t read and comprehend simple sentences. Are you enlisting as an infantry officer, then if so what is the problem. I am guessing that as an officer you have a contract or something, get it in writing that you will get a chance to attend.
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92

Return to “About Ranger School - In Honor of Ranger BattleBoar - RIP”