The new cool thing... Flag burning

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Moose93
Embryo

The new cool thing... Flag burning

Post by Moose93 »

So lately as I'm sure you all have seen, the new fad circulating throughout our own country is the desecration of the U.S flag, whether it be burning on it, pissing on it, walking over it... my question is why the Supreme court does not enforce the U.S flag code? I was speaking to my mother the other day, on mother's day I believe, and we got to talking about this, and she warned me that when I come back to the states that I'm going to see a lot of this hate towards our country. She actually saw a group of people PISSING on a WWII memorial, and no one doing a damn thing about it. Makes me sick.
Now I'm as much pro-1st amendment as anyone else, but disgracing the flag that is a symbol of your right to do so makes absolutely no sense. I'm sure we could all go off on a tangent of anger and hate for those who lech off our country's freedoms and decide to undermine all the sacrifices made for their entitled, lazy asses but instead I'm just hoping to entice an intelligent conversation on the subject.

So I'm asking anyone on the site their thoughts if they so choice to voice them. Is it a constitutional right to disgrace the flag? or should it be a federal offense to do so?
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: The new cool thing... Flag burning

Post by Jim »

Moose93 why do you think this is relevant?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Moose93
Embryo

Post by Moose93 »

Jim wrote:Moose93 why do you think this is relevant?
I'm just curious Ranger Jim. No harm intended.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Moose93 wrote:
Jim wrote:Moose93 why do you think this is relevant?
I'm just curious Ranger Jim. No harm intended.
Answer Jim's question please.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

In addition to actually answering the question posed, ask yourself this - why do people pledge allegiance to the flag versus the Constitution?

I'm also curious where this spate of flag desecration acts is occurring, as I haven't really observed any increase in this country in such behavior in the past 30 years. Most of the acts of flag desecration I see involve a photo/video with camels, goats, and mud huts in the background.

If anything, the overt patriotism in the US has grown exponentially since the days after Vietnam. The syncophantic ass-kissery displayed at the airport is downright cringe-worthy.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
Moose93
Embryo

Post by Moose93 »

Ranger Jim,
To answer your question as briefly as possible, I've personally seen an increase in anti-American ideals, and it is rapidly becoming a "social norm" so to speak. I'm a young guy, and I really don't know much of anything, but I do see my own generation spitting in the faces of our fathers and his fathers who did so much for us. And for what? if you ask most of them, they don't even know, but its the new revolutionary and romantic thing to do to them. From the outside looking in, it seems to me that the "American way" is starting to become a symbol of racism, bigotry, and oppression to these people. My generation especially are all too comfortable with their freedoms, and don't actually recognize and appreciate the sacrifices made to secure them. Prime example here:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/califo ... ar-AA9vm3X

Ranger Jim, I feel my topic is relevant and it's something I'm passionate about. I'm also curious of the opinions of the Rangers and Americans on this site, because it actually matters to me, and I want to show a little appreciation for everything you have done for us.
-Theodore Roosevelt
Moose93
Embryo

Post by Moose93 »

RangerX wrote:In addition to actually answering the question posed, ask yourself this - why do people pledge allegiance to the flag versus the Constitution?

I'm also curious where this spate of flag desecration acts is occurring, as I haven't really observed any increase in this country in such behavior in the past 30 years. Most of the acts of flag desecration I see involve a photo/video with camels, goats, and mud huts in the background.

If anything, the overt patriotism in the US has grown exponentially since the days after Vietnam. The syncophantic ass-kissery displayed at the airport is downright cringe-worthy.
That's a good question RangerX, I've actually had a conversation about that before with a guy I was standing watch with. Short answer is I feel as though if you pledge allegiance to our flag, which is amongst other things symbolic of the rights given by the Constitution, the Constitution itself should become law. I feel they are both synonymous with each other.
Like I've said I'm a young guy so I see it all over Facebook and social media, to the point where I had to delete it. I mean it's mostly in Liberal rich states (go figure) such as California and Washington, but also states towards the border and even up in the Northeast. My mom lives in Florida and she says she sees it more frequently than she would think.
I do agree with you however on the fact that the patriotic fervor in the country has been on the rise, but now a days if an American stands up for what he believes in, the race card is thrown, or the intolerant card, or whatever other political scapegoat these people want to throw instead of actually engaging in an intelligent conversation. Then they walk on our flag because their feelings are hurt.
thank you for the reply RangerX
-Theodore Roosevelt
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

OK, research assignment - compare and contrast Federalism versus Constitutionalism, and detail what part flag symbolism plays in that dynamic.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
Moose93
Embryo

Post by Moose93 »

RangerX,
Heres what I got after a little research;

Federalism is the idea of a group of constitutes that are bound by a centralized governing power. Political power is shared between the constitutes and the governing authority. Federalism was the solution to the 8 years of the problematic Articles of Confederation, which was lacking in a centralized power. It further unified the 13 colonies in the post Revolutionary era, and created Federal and States governments.
Constitutionalism is a complex pool of political theories, ideals, and practices, but essentially it is an adherence to the laws and structure laid out by the Constitution itself. It is embedded with the concept of the "Rule of Law"; that government can and should be legally limited in its powers, and that its authority depends on the governed, and enforcing its own limitations.

In comparison, Federalism and Constitutionalism both believe in the existence of a strong centralized government with a covenant of independent governed political units. This idea paved the way for the necessity of strong State governments as well, and both Federalism and Constitutionalism are inter-dependent on each other to operate effectively. If an extreme form of Federalism was followed, with no Constitution to limit it's powers, you would have an almost unitary state. In addition, with a weak Federal government, you would have a nation resembling a Confederacy.
In contrast, Constitutionalism pushes for a less involved Federal government. It's ideas place emphasis in putting power into the hands of the citizen. The Constitution lays out the ground rules for the government, and, through a system of checks and balances, delegates power to it, such as coinage, paper money, declaration of war, etc. It also outlines the powers reserved for the States and its governments, as well as the powers shared by both Federal and States.

With that being said, I believe our Flag is a distinct symbol of the relationship between the Federal and States governments. Throughout the flag's history, every state added, regardless of that states' specific laws, was represented by a star that was placed in the "union". This eluded to the independence of the States, but also the covenant and unity they share through the authority of the central government. The stripes representing valor and purity are symbolic of the sacrifices made by Americans for the nation as a whole, regardless of government.

I hope this reply suffices RangerX. I appreciate the opportunity and thank you for the thought-provoking responses.
-Theodore Roosevelt
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Post by Disinfertention »

http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/five_par.htm

Always practice good research habits. Have an intro with something that resembles a thesis. State the points you want to make then in your paragraphs explain your points. Summarize in a conclusion. You're about half way there. Don't edit it on my account. Cite your sources, a link will suffice.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04

Return to “The Mosh Pit”