Can you request which Battalion to go to?

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

labod
BANNED

Can you request which Battalion to go to?

Post by labod »

Rangers,

I was wondering, does one get the option to request which Ranger Battalion to go to if we are to succeed and graduate from RASP? I'm assuming that it obviously won't be guaranteed if you can request which one, but I am just wondering for possible future plans.

Thanks.
SLEDGE HAMMER
Ranger

Re: Can you request which Battalion to go to?

Post by SLEDGE HAMMER »

It's based on manning and needs of the Regiment. If 90 studs graduate, 30 could end up in each battalion, or 90 could all go to 1 or any mix in-between. If I remember correctly people got to make a 'wishlist' but I don't remember how they decided who got their preference and what not. But now that it's RASP they may have a different way of doing things. It was a bit different for me coming from Big Army as well, as part of my reenlistment was picking the Battalion I wanted to go to.

But you're putting the cart way before the horse. Focus on your 100 meter target.
First Batt, Best Batt 09-12
labod
BANNED

Post by labod »

Roger, Ranger SLEDGE HAMMER.

Thanks for clarifying. The reason I was asking is because a friend of mine lives 10 minutes from Fort Lewis and I was hoping that if/ when I would graduate from RASP I would go to 2nd Bat. of which I would live with him to cut living expenses a little bit. Regardless though, thank you again for clearing that up for me.
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

I'm gonna give you something to think about.

1st, don't start thinking about your living situation right now. From this point forward you should really only consider living in the barracks with the men you are serving with. Yes it is nice to have your own place, but if you do have friends in the area you can always crash on their couch. Most of the stuff that will be happening in civilian land is not conducive to a long tenure in Regiment. Once you've matured and melded with your unit, then maybe you can start thinking about life outside. Honestly, for the 1st year or so my ONLY social life was with the men I served with and those were some of the best times I had in the Army.

2nd, where do you live now? I live in Georgia, and my choices went 3rd, 1st, 2nd. I got 3rd. I REALLY wish I had gotten 2nd, and seen a different part of this country. I loved 3rd, but it didn't help having family and friends 90 minutes away in Atlanta.

Later in life you will have the luxury of hindsight, and realize this is/was a very brief period of your life. Get outside your comfort zone, later you will be thankful you did.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
Baseplate
Ranger

Post by Baseplate »

Are you married? Why would you need to cut living expenses? Are there not barracks in 2/75?
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

RangerX wrote:I'm gonna give you something to think about.

1st, don't start thinking about your living situation right now. From this point forward you should really only consider living in the barracks with the men you are serving with. Yes it is nice to have your own place, but if you do have friends in the area you can always crash on their couch. Most of the stuff that will be happening in civilian land is not conducive to a long tenure in Regiment. Once you've matured and melded with your unit, then maybe you can start thinking about life outside. Honestly, for the 1st year or so my ONLY social life was with the men I served with and those were some of the best times I had in the Army.

2nd, where do you live now? I live in Georgia, and my choices went 3rd, 1st, 2nd. I got 3rd. I REALLY wish I had gotten 2nd, and seen a different part of this country. I loved 3rd, but it didn't help having family and friends 90 minutes away in Atlanta.

Later in life you will have the luxury of hindsight, and realize this is/was a very brief period of your life. Get outside your comfort zone, later you will be thankful you did.
This is 110% accurate. You got a long ways to go bud, and if you make it, your Ranger buddies will be your life for a long time to come.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
labod
BANNED

Post by labod »

Ranger RangerX,

I actually did not put too much thought into the barracks, it actually eluded me. You are correct when you tell me that my life should become the men beside me. Also, I currently live in Michigan so really any Battalion will be a change for me. I've just always wanted to live in Washington, that's why I would really like to go to 2nd.

Ranger Baseplate,

No, I am not married. There really isn't a real reason to cut living expenses other than just the fact of saving a buck or two. Again, it eluded me to think about living in the barracks so it actually wouldn't be a concern anyways.

Ranger cams,

Roger that. You and Ranger RangerX are both right; I do have a long ways to go and I shouldn't be so concerned with these types of maters at this point.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

labod, you ship next month, focus on completing your task list, Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
labod
BANNED

Post by labod »

Ranger Jim,

I am aware of when I ship and of my progression on my task list. I don't have a lot of time to do some of those tasks here at school. I have 2 weeks at home in between the end of this semester and when I ship. During that time, I plan on completing the rest of my tasks.
SLEDGE HAMMER
Ranger

Post by SLEDGE HAMMER »

What college are you at in Michigan stud? PM me if you prefer.
labod
BANNED

Post by labod »

Ranger SLEDGE HAMMER,

I am currently attending Ferris State University.
SLEDGE HAMMER
Ranger

Post by SLEDGE HAMMER »

Oh wow way up there and quite a ways from me. Finish out your semester strong.
labod
BANNED

Post by labod »

SLEDGE HAMMER wrote:Oh wow way up there and quite a ways from me. Finish out your semester strong.
Ranger, SLEDGE HAMMER

Which college are you at? If you don't mind me asking.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

SLEDGEHAMMER is a student at U Michigan, Ann Arbor. We are a small world. You don't have that much time to prepare yourself. Never. never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
labod
BANNED

Post by labod »

Roger, Ranger Jim.

Return to “The Mosh Pit”