Ranger officer

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

JHpatriot
Egg

Ranger officer

Post by JHpatriot »

Hello rangers,
I am a college sophomore in ROTC and i have a dream of one day becoming a Ranger officer. My PFT's are all class one my ASVAB Was above the required for an officer and I'm double majoring physics and economics. With some miracle I will graduate in 2016 and be commissioned. My question is a double one. First I have glasses. The prescription in relatively low and with them on I have better then 20/20 vision and when using optics I never wear my glasses. Secondly I understand from reading the basics needed to become a ranger officer. My question is how common it is for a 1st lieutenant to become a ranger officer and with that what type of deployment would best assist me in getting a chance to be selected to attended RASP 2. Thank you for your time.
Sincerely
Joshua
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Re: Ranger officer

Post by centermass »

Welcome to the site.

Your first order of business is to complete ROTC and branch.

Complete BOLC.

Attend and complete BAC.

Then, attend Ranger School and successfully complete the course.

Then, successfully serve (Above average) as a PL.

Depending on how you branch and available competing slots in the Regiment will then determine if you have a shot at RASP.

The more preferred way and method used by many before you has been to acqiure an Opt 40, do your time successfully as an enlisted Ranger, then cross over (Commission) and apply.

There's lots of info covering this subject here on the site. The above is not the end all be all, but a snapshot as to what you are looking at. Good luck.
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Ranger officer

Post by KW Driver »

And to add on, after you complete a successful term as a PL, your timeline needs to allow for you to go to RASP, after your local CoC supporting your application to the Regiment. That may or may not happen. There are plenty of conventional officers who want no part of, nor will they remotely support anything to do with Special Ops units, period.

Also, capitalize Ranger when you use it. Thanks.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
Bronco
Quitter

Post by Bronco »

Welcome. PM inbound, JHpatriot.
11X OPT 40
SHIP DATE: 20140715

"Five Mentees Report Here" Thread Member
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Welcome Joshua. As a commissioned officer, you will spend only a limited amount of your time assigned to a unit. Most of your time will be spent in staff (admin) assignments. I was fortunate that I had a successful career. I have (and continue) recommended to many that a man spends some time as enlisted before commissioning. One of the members on this site joined us as a college student, then he earned his place in the Ranger Regiment. He completed a combat tour and the Ranger course. He begins OCS in June. I'm proud of what he has achieved and see a great future for him. Never, never quit!

Wearing glasses is no big deal. I have worn them since I was six years old. Never had any problem.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”