Option 40 availability for my wanted MOS?

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
CanesWrestling151
Embryo

Option 40 availability for my wanted MOS?

Post by CanesWrestling151 »

Hey Rangers, I've been stressing something for a while now, and I haven't been able to get any clear answers as to what I'm looking for. I've heard so many mixed opinions about what I've been wanting to do. Currently I'm 17, looking forward to taking the ASVAB. I've been practicing it as well as reading Army informational books(breaking down and rebuilding an M16A1 and A2 rifle etc.) And to cut to the chase, I'm hopefully going off for basic training this summer, after junior year. Afterward I'm planning to finish my senior year while a reservist and later activate myself when needed.

Well, if I have get my ST score above 95(also if my score meets that of Ranger standards.) I can qualify for the MOS I want, which is 25B. I know I have a long way to go, but I'm really committed to this, and I know the Army has something for me. Now here's my question, I'm wondering how often is it that a 25B cuts it as a Ranger? And if so, how available are Option 40's for them? I've researched as much as possible, and I really want to be a 25B with the Rangers, it would be a dream come true. Like I said, I'm willing to do almost anything to get that Ranger patch. I don't want to change my MOS to an 11B or 11X, I wouldn't mind being Infantry but I don't really think it's for me. That being said, what are my chances of even making it with a support role in the Rangers? Living in Georgia, I know where to go as far as training goes, Jump school at Fort Benning and such. I just really need clarification on my chances of making it as a 25B.
I'd really appreciate the help.

New PT score for push ups in 2 mins- 73
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Option 40 availability for my wanted MOS?

Post by Jim »

Ryan, a man has only one opportunity to make a favorable initial impression. If you truly want to earn a place in the 75th Ranger Regiment, you came to the right site. We at armyranger.com take a great deal of pride in the young men who pass through here on their life journey. Your PT score provides a baseline to build on. Most of the questions you might have can be addressed by using the search feature, located on the top right of this page. Please read the FAQs, as well as select stickies and threads. You may find the link helpful. Never, never quit!

https://www.benning.army.mil/tenant/75t ... uiting.htm
This was my response to your introduction. It is painfully obvious that you failed to read and comply with the guidance you were given. Don't post again until you have complied -- come back on this thread and let me know you have completed that task.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

CanesWrestling151 wrote:Hey Rangers, I've been stressing something for a while now, and I haven't been able to get any clear answers as to what I'm looking for. I've heard so many mixed opinions about what I've been wanting to do. Currently I'm 17, looking forward to taking the ASVAB. I've been practicing it as well as reading Army informational books(breaking down and rebuilding an M16A1 and A2 rifle etc.) And to cut to the chase, I'm hopefully going off for basic training this summer, after junior year. Afterward I'm planning to finish my senior year while a reservist and later activate myself when needed.

Well, if I have get my ST score above 95(also if my score meets that of Ranger standards.) I can qualify for the MOS I want, which is 25B. I know I have a long way to go, but I'm really committed to this, and I know the Army has something for me. Now here's my question, I'm wondering how often is it that a 25B cuts it as a Ranger? And if so, how available are Option 40's for them? I've researched as much as possible, and I really want to be a 25B with the Rangers, it would be a dream come true. Like I said, I'm willing to do almost anything to get that Ranger patch. I don't want to change my MOS to an 11B or 11X, I wouldn't mind being Infantry but I don't really think it's for me. That being said, what are my chances of even making it with a support role in the Rangers? Living in Georgia, I know where to go as far as training goes, Jump school at Fort Benning and such. I just really need clarification on my chances of making it as a 25B.

You do not "activate yourself" as a Reserveist. The Federal govt decides it needs you and activates you. Transfering from Reserve to Active is difficult to almost impossible. If you do manage to to make the transition you will be behind your peers in basic military as well as social knowledge.

Tough
Rangertough
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
C CO/HHC 2/75 '93-97, Bragg '97-'99, HHC/C CO/A CO 2/75 99'-'01 RS 8-94.
CanesWrestling151
Embryo

Jim wrote:
Ryan, a man has only one opportunity to make a favorable initial impression. If you truly want to earn a place in the 75th Ranger Regiment, you came to the right site. We at armyranger.com take a great deal of pride in the young men who pass through here on their life journey. Your PT score provides a baseline to build on. Most of the questions you might have can be addressed by using the search feature, located on the top right of this page. Please read the FAQs, as well as select stickies and threads. You may find the link helpful. Never, never quit!

https://www.benning.army.mil/tenant/75t ... uiting.htm
This was my response to your introduction. It is painfully obvious that you failed to read and comply with the guidance you were given. Don't post again until you have complied -- come back on this thread and let me know you have completed that task.

I wasn't aware of the link Ranger Jim, and I greatly thank you for the help. Still looking for ways to get an Opt. 40 for any MOS. I should be going to see a recruiter this weekend. I've also been reading around site, looking for hints and tips. I have before, but I guess I need to some more. Thank you again, Ranger Jim!
CanesWrestling151
Embryo

rangertough wrote:
CanesWrestling151 wrote:Hey Rangers, I've been stressing something for a while now, and I haven't been able to get any clear answers as to what I'm looking for. I've heard so many mixed opinions about what I've been wanting to do. Currently I'm 17, looking forward to taking the ASVAB. I've been practicing it as well as reading Army informational books(breaking down and rebuilding an M16A1 and A2 rifle etc.) And to cut to the chase, I'm hopefully going off for basic training this summer, after junior year. Afterward I'm planning to finish my senior year while a reservist and later activate myself when needed.

You do not "activate yourself" as a Reserveist. The Federal govt decides it needs you and activates you. Transfering from Reserve to Active is difficult to almost impossible. If you do manage to to make the transition you will be behind your peers in basic military as well as social knowledge.

Tough

I thought I'd have to transition from Reservist to Active? Because I've heard since I'm going into basic at 17, I can only be Reserves, until I turn 18. Might've heard wrong.
CanesWrestling151
Embryo

ManchuV wrote:Welcome to the site CanesWrestling151. What happen to the rest of your PT Scores. Sit-ups, 2 mile run and pull-ups are part of the scores.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well Ranger ManchuV, I've recently ran 2-miles again, but it was all up hill. It kinda sucked to know my results were past 15 mins but maybe if I keep training the terrain, it'll help me in the long run. I know I can get at least 70+ sit-ups. I've been training core a lot more recently.
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

CanesWrestling151 wrote:
rangertough wrote:

Tough

I thought I'd have to transition from Reservist to Active? Because I've heard since I'm going into basic at 17, I can only be Reserves, until I turn 18. Might've heard wrong.
For you to go to BCT as a junior and then to AIT after graduation you have to be National Guard or Reserve. If you go that route you are committed to them not the Active Component.

If your plan is to be Active Duty (AD) then you need to join as an AD Soldier not NG or Reserve. All of which are viable options and all of them need good people. However, you need to figure out what your end goal is and plan accordingly.

Tough
Rangertough
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

CanesWrestling151 wrote:
ManchuV wrote:Welcome to the site CanesWrestling151. What happen to the rest of your PT Scores. Sit-ups, 2 mile run and pull-ups are part of the scores.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well Ranger ManchuV, I've recently ran 2-miles again, but it was all up hill. It kinda sucked to know my results were past 15 mins but maybe if I keep training the terrain, it'll help me in the long run. I know I can get at least 70+ sit-ups. I've been training core a lot more recently.
I'm pretty sure your HS has a 400m/1/4 mile track. Use that for your 2 mile (8 laps). If you don't have a watch on your wrist to time your run have someone time it for you.

Tough
Rangertough
CanesWrestling151
Embryo

rangertough wrote:I'm pretty sure your HS has a 400m/1/4 mile track. Use that for your 2 mile (8 laps). If you don't have a watch on your wrist to time your run have someone time it for you.
I can try and do that, the thing is. Track is starting their season. I'll have to find times to go out and train, or better yet, show them up and run with them! Well, as for being active duty, I don't know how that'll go. I've already had it planned to go into BT this summer, scoring well on the ASVAB before hand. I know I'm not going into the Guard, but then again. If I want to be a Ranger, Active Duty would be best I know.. So maybe I should wait until after senior year? My goal at the end of the road, whenever it may be, is to be a Ranger(25B hopefully). I just thought that MOS interested me, and when I saw that the Rangers accepted the MOS. I wanted to take a chance. Not many can say they are leaders and I want to be one. I really want to serve my country as a Ranger.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

CanesWrestling151 wrote:[...as for being active duty, I don't know how that'll go. I've already had it planned to go into BT this summer, scoring well on the ASVAB before hand. I know I'm not going into the Guard, but then again. If I want to be a Ranger, Active Duty would be best I know.. So maybe I should wait until after senior year? My goal at the end of the road, whenever it may be, is to be a Ranger(25B hopefully). I just thought that MOS interested me, and when I saw that the Rangers accepted the MOS. I wanted to take a chance. Not many can say they are leaders and I want to be one. I really want to serve my country as a Ranger.
If you had been using the search feature, you would have learned about the Delayed Entry Program (DEP) which allows students to enlist up to two years before they enter active duty. Now start searching and learning. And post sparingly. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867

Return to “Recruitment Process”