Preferred age group

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
boston0550
Future Soldier / Opt40

Preferred age group

Post by boston0550 »

I went to the Worcester recruiting officer yesterday just to fill some paperwork for MEPS. I expressed my interest for opt. 40 again and it seemed to me that they thought I meant ranger school only. They began telling me they usually give those to people coming right out of high school and that I would be able to sign up anytime in my career. I have done some research on the matter but can't find anything saying that they prefer certain age groups. If I have learned anything from the forums about recruitment it's to get it on paper. I know there is an age cutoff but I would figure that 25 is a good age.

Is this my recruiter blowing smoke? I told her that I am waiting for an option 40 if need be.

Thank you
A-co 2/75
boston0550
Future Soldier / Opt40

Re: Preferred age group

Post by boston0550 »

Ranger Lunch,

Roger and thank you.
A-co 2/75
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

There is no such thing as a Ranger (notice how I capitalized that) School only contract for DEP's.

She either doesn't know what she's talking about or she's trying to fill another needed slot and is depending on your ignorance to do so.

Keep your eye out for new posts' by PerryB, he is a MEPS Counselor and a very good source of information for young men seeking the Ranger path.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

I believe the "age limit" is at least 12 years north of where you are. You are not the prime age for enlistment but that has more to do with the problems a 30 year old non-Sergeant normally has. There is no such thing as a Ranger school only contract and it is not likely to come about because the slots will be at a premium due to a refocus on TRADOC standardized training models.

The bottom line for any of you planning to enlist is this: Is your goal to be in the Army or to be in Ranger Regiment?

Answering that question should make your negotiations easier. When I enlisted in 1983 I insisted on a Ranger contract and my insistance led to me being awarded "The last unassigned Ranger contract existing in the known universe." It was bullshit then and it is bullshit now!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
boston0550
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by boston0550 »

Thank you Ranger cams and Ranger Silverback,

I had a feeling that she didn't know. It is a fairly easy decision and remain set on getting my true goal stated on my contract. I did find it funny when she asked another recruiter, who was infantry, to back her on me getting sent after basic. He didn't say anything.
A-co 2/75
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

boston0550 wrote:Thank you Ranger cams and Ranger Silverback,

I had a feeling that she didn't know. It is a fairly easy decision and remain set on getting my true goal stated on my contract. I did find it funny when she asked another recruiter, who was infantry, to back her on me getting sent after basic. He didn't say anything.
The age is not important. I was 28 when I finally got the Tab. When I was commanding a battalion, my SGM had been a graduate at age 32. There was an ARNG COL who was 50+.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
boston0550
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by boston0550 »

Ranger Jim thank you,

I thought it was just funny when she said they held those spots for people common out of high school.
A-co 2/75
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

boston0550 wrote:I thought it was just funny when she said they held those spots for people common out of high school.
Common or coming? Inattention to detail.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

I'll second what Ranger Silverback stated about the age group. Related specifically to Regimental service, where the average Pv2 to Senior PFC are aged 17-19, and you generally have 23yr old Ranger Sgt's and 25yr old SSG's with numerous yrs in Batt already.

The issue I believe is how well you'll be able to adapt as a 26yr old ex-cop being smoked senseless by an 18 yr old Private with a combat scroll.

As far as Ranger School, Ranger Jim stated, age is not a factor, it is then a matter of pure toughness, intestinal fortitude and a never quit attitude.

Your recruiter is either trying to steer you away from an Opt 40 contract for whatever reason, or doesn't really understand how those contracts work, which isn't uncommon among recruiters with little to no knowledge of Regiment or RASP.

Accept nothing less at this point if that's what you want. But, and this is important, if you secure an Opt 40, do not fuck up the opportunity. Many, many young men want this chance, so make sure you're PT'ing like an animal and studying all you can about Regimental history, Land Nav, and you also need to be a strong swimmer.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

Gotta go with prevailing theme here. I was in similar straits; got to Ranger Batt. as a 25 year old Spec-4. To make things worse, I had left the National Guard as an NCO and had 5 years under my belt. I knew nothing about Rangers when I got there, but knew well enough to keep my head down and try and stay under the radar. I think the oldest private we had was 41 when he got there. I'm sure your department was similar when you first got there; you got your balls broken unmercifully at every turn, and seemingly did nothing right. After about six months to a year (or your first bad-assed call, whichever came first..) you pretty much were accepted as part of the team.

Same thing in the Ranger Regiment, my friend.. same thing. If you are lucky enough to get Ranger school 3 months after being there like one of my friends, and have your Tab in six? You'll be a rock star! If you can endure the initial smokings and being fucked with, once the dust settles your age and maturity will pay dividends.

Long story short, age matters not, so long as you understand your place and are able to play the game.

However, I still think that you should go for the 68W
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
boston0550
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by boston0550 »

Thank you all for the responses.

Ranger Jim, it was supposed to be coming apologize for that.

Ranger cams, Age won't be an issue with me. The fact of the matter is that they have more experience than me and have earned the right to order me around. I understand that opt. 40 are highly sought and will not put it to waste.

Ranger Sleepy Doc, when I got hired at my PD I was one of five others. Thankfully, the other four were complete idiots and I learned quickly to keep my head down and tread softly. As far as 68W, I have been putting in a lot of research to figure out whether 11x or 68W and will continue till I make that decision.

Thank you all again for the responses.
A-co 2/75
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

When you error you owe Push-ups. Push-up until I'm tired. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
boston0550
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by boston0550 »

Jim wrote:When you error you owe Push-ups. Push-up until I'm tired. Never, never quit!
Roger Ranger Jim
A-co 2/75
Grim666
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Grim666 »

boston0550,
I am writing to you based solely on MY experience. I am 35 now and enlisted at 34. I had to fight to get my Opt 40 as a 68W. I did the research, knew what I wanted and how to get it, and then just stuck to my guns. I gave a little since I knew my age was against me at the time. My recruiter who was a decent straight shooter showed me the screen for reservations and would just change my age. When he put me at 20 the world opened up, at 34 things were different. I had to go with an Opt 4 first (Airborne) knowing full well that I could easily volunteer there since a Ranger Liaison is right in the airborne area. Doesn't mean I gave up. Every other day I contacted my recruiter, and he was doing his part for me and checking every day. Once a spot opened he grabbed it for me. I was lucky I suppose that I had a recruiter that did his job and was there looking for me. I also know that my being a bit persistent paid off. I can tell you for me so far the journey for a 68W is long. However, even at this point it has been very rewarding, I can only imagine the rewards once I get to Battalion. The schooling is long and tough however, being a bit older you have the discipline that a lot of the young guys lack, this gives you an advantage. Most of the guys that fail out of the SOCM is not due to smarts, but being disciplined enough to know how to spend your time wisely and to stick to it. If you have any questions that I can help you with please let me know, you can PM me if you want. I am coming up on the last block of training for SOCM now so I have an idea of your path should you choose it.

RLTW!
Graduated RASP Class 09-12
Successful Mentee to Ranger The Sleepy Doc
75th Ranger Regiment, RSTB 2013 - 2016
528th SOSB, SOMEDD 2016 - ????

Return to “Recruitment Process”