Introduction - Michael

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

ARegularguy123
Embryo

Introduction - Michael

Post by ARegularguy123 »

Hello to all Rangers and members of the forums!

My name is Michael and I'm new to the site but glad to be a part of it. I'm a prospective Ranger that hopes to one day be able to earn my scroll and be a part of one of the US Military's most elite. I'm currently a high school junior, and have been talking to my recruiter about an 11X Option 40 and am in the process of securing a contract.

I came to this site after being referred by a Ranger at the 6th RTB down here in Florida. I'm mainly focused on gathering any info I can get on RASP, and any mentorship that you Rangers can give me.

I'm physically fit and can max my APFT but I'm not too sure I'm at the point where I can survive those long 12-15 mile roadmarches, especially not with 45-60 pounds on my back! I know It may not really be an issue but I'm quite a little guy (5'4" 115 pounds, looking at about 8-9% body fat) and I was kind of wondering if you've seen anyone my size in the Rangers

It's been a dream of mine to become a Ranger and it's a dream that I will not allow myself to be distracted from or give up on. To be a Ranger is something that I will never give up on, and I'm willing to do whatever it takes to fulfill that dream.
Bronco
Quitter

Re: Introduction - Michael

Post by Bronco »

Welcome. PM inbound, ARegularguy123.
11X OPT 40
SHIP DATE: 20140715

"Five Mentees Report Here" Thread Member
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Welcome Michael. Please confirm that you are at least 16 years old. If you want to earn a place in the 75th Ranger Regiment, you came to the right site. We take pride in the fine young men who pass through armyranger.com in their life journey. Please begin by reading the FAQs as well as selected threads and stickies. Most questions you might have are already addressed. The search feature, located on the top right of this page is your friend. Please self administer a PT test within the next 72 hours, and post your results on this thread. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
ARegularguy123
Embryo

Post by ARegularguy123 »

Ranger Jim,

I am indeed 16 years old (info deleted by Admin)
As far as the PT test goes I just administered one, with the help of my father to make sure everything was done Military standard.

Pushups: 85
Situps: 92
2 mile: 12:25

I know for a fact that I need to work on longer distance running as I tire out easily when running anything over 3 miles. So if anyone could give me any tips on improving my endurance. I'm far from prepared for any of those long distance ruck marches.
SLEDGE HAMMER
Ranger

Post by SLEDGE HAMMER »

Welcome. There's lots of 'little guys' in Regiment as well as every other JSOC unit. Just don't let it become a crutch or excuse. Probably couldn't hurt to put on a little weight though. Your ruck in RS when you're weapons squad will probably be damn near what you weigh now.
First Batt, Best Batt 09-12
ARegularguy123
Embryo

Post by ARegularguy123 »

Roger Ranger Sledgehammer

Time to up the protein and carb intake!
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

ARegularguy123 wrote:Ranger Jim,

I am indeed 16 years old (info deleted by Admin)
As far as the PT test goes I just administered one, with the help of my father to make sure everything was done Military standard.

Pushups: 85
Situps: 92
2 mile: 12:25

I know for a fact that I need to work on longer distance running as I tire out easily when running anything over 3 miles. So if anyone could give me any tips on improving my endurance. I'm far from prepared for any of those long distance ruck marches.
Now you have established a PT baseline to build on. Add pull-ups to your training. Not to worry, you have at least a year to prepare yourself. For your first task, begin to memorize the Ranger Creed, and begin to live your life by it. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
ARegularguy123
Embryo

Post by ARegularguy123 »

Roger, Ranger Jim. I'll start learning the Ranger mentality and living by the Creed
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Welcome. One of the most squared away, meanest, toughest Ranger snipers I served with was all of about 5'5. "Sgt A" was and is all Ranger and nobody in their right mind would ever question that.

It's not about size, it's about heart, motivation, and the drive to succeed not matter the pain being dealt.

Strengthen your legs and back, as an RTO in Batt my ruck weighed as much as you do.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
ARegularguy123
Embryo

Post by ARegularguy123 »

Thank you Ranger Cams for the insight. I'll be trying my hardest to strengthen up my legs and back so that I can handle the weight. I'll start ruck marching with my own ruck at home to get my body used to it so that I will be better prepared.
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

cams wrote:Welcome. One of the most squared away, meanest, toughest Ranger snipers I served with was all of about 5'5. "Sgt A" was and is all Ranger and nobody in their right mind would ever question that.

It's not about size, it's about heart, motivation, and the drive to succeed not matter the pain being dealt.

Strengthen your legs and back, as an RTO in Batt my ruck weighed as much as you do.
I just got back from Ranger Rendezvous and was talking with some of my old compadres about this very subject. One of the dudes we had in our company was a Brit that ironically also looked like harry potter, glasses and all (but with high and tight haircut..) All three of my friends confirmed what I had heard elsewhere. In Iraq during the battle for Haditha Dam, as a Squad leader, this guy was a killing machine, lying down fire, assigning sectors of fire, calling for indirects, etc. Apparently he was a regular Audie Murphy (look him up if you don't know him too.. ) I'm not sure what decorations he earned that day, but by accounts the battle was a success in no small part to his efforts. All this from a guy who was 5 foot nuthin' and weighted a hundred and nuthn'. He barely looked old enough to buy smokes.

Ironically, I believe LT. Murphy was of small stature as well.. OK I'll give you a hint: look up "The most highly decorated US Soldier in history"
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site, Michael.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
ARegularguy123
Embryo

Post by ARegularguy123 »

Sleepy Doc wrote:
cams wrote:Welcome. One of the most squared away, meanest, toughest Ranger snipers I served with was all of about 5'5. "Sgt A" was and is all Ranger and nobody in their right mind would ever question that.

I just got back from Ranger Rendezvous and was talking with some of my old compadres about this very subject. One of the dudes we had in our company was a Brit that ironically also looked like harry potter, glasses and all (but with high and tight haircut..) All three of my friends confirmed what I had heard elsewhere. In Iraq during the battle for Haditha Dam, as a Squad leader, this guy was a killing machine, lying down fire, assigning sectors of fire, calling for indirects, etc. Apparently he was a regular Audie Murphy (look him up if you don't know him too.. ) I'm not sure what decorations he earned that day, but by accounts the battle was a success in no small part to his efforts. All this from a guy who was 5 foot nuthin' and weighted a hundred and nuthn'. He barely looked old enough to buy smokes.

Ironically, I believe LT. Murphy was of small stature as well.. OK I'll give you a hint: look up "The most highly decorated US Soldier in history"

Wasn't Audie Murphy declined by the other branches of the military because of his size but the Army took him after he gained a bit of weight? I believe he was like 5'5 112 or something like that
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Audie Murphy. I have visited his grave many times. I always ensure that I have a coin in my pocket.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audie_Murphy
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
ARegularguy123
Embryo

Post by ARegularguy123 »

He is a very inspirational person, especially to me because of our similar statures. Our little man syndrome fuels the fire :lol:
He was a very humble, hard working, and courageous man and will always hold a place in history.

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”