Getting sick at RS

Three phases and 62 days of hell. This section named in honor of MAJ John Whyte who was taken from us on 04/17/05.
avidwanderer
USAF Vet/US Army Chopper Pilot

Getting sick at RS

Post by avidwanderer »

Does anybody have any advice on how to not get sick at Ranger School? I have figured out one thing--sanitize your canteen lids and mouths. I drank from a canteen I didnt wash out and now I got strep throat (SP?). Can you take vitamins there? Or do MREs have all vitamins you need... Just wondering--and if anyone as any stories about how sick they got at RS I am all ears. Thanks Rangers.
Nov 2001--March 2006 52 SFS, 49 OSS
as active duty air force security forces
--crossed to army--
March 2006-May 2006 WOCS Class 06-07
May 2006-Nov 2007 B Co. 1/145th
Nov 2007-In a US army CAB
Oct 2008--Oct 2009 Camp Speicher B. 3-10 AVN
Oct 2010--Present JAF Task Force Six Shooters (Calvary)
AIR CAV!!!!
Dublo
Ranger

Re: Getting sick at RS

Post by Dublo »

avidwanderer wrote:Does anybody have any advice on how to not get sick at Ranger School?

Yeah, don't eat your own poop.

They don't let you have any form of vitamins of any kind, in fact, it is one of those things that they are looking for in the shakedowns. You will get sick there at some point. Good luck.
I was in 2/75 from 97 to 00. 5-99

"He only loved people, he thought, who had fought or been mutilated. Other people were fine and you liked them and were good friends; but you only felt true tenderness and love for those who had been there and had received the castigation that everyone receives who goes there long enough." Ernest Hemingway
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Never got sick there myself, although I did have an infection in the arch of my foot. The human body is more prone to infection and sickness when it is severally stressed and you can't help but be stressed as your body adapts to the depletion of fat cells for energy due to the lack of nutrition in the course.
Creeping Death
Ranger

Post by Creeping Death »

The only vitamins or meds you will need will be shot into your ass (no pun intended) at the beginning of Darby.

After that, you will be too busy starving and/or freezing to recognize if you are sick or not. It's a funny thing, when you honest to God think you are about to freeze to death, having a tummy ache doesn't really present that much of a problem.
A Co 1/75 '94-'97
Class 5-96
Ranger2

Post by Ranger2 »

Wasn't everyone sick? It just sucks so what does a cold or flu mean? Like it was said before you just suck it up or quit.

Ranger2
Dublo
Ranger

Re: Getting sick at RS

Post by Dublo »

Terry Welshan wrote:
Dublo wrote:
avidwanderer wrote:Does anybody have any advice on how to not get sick at Ranger School?
Yeah, don't eat your own poop.

Is it OK just to pick the corn and peanuts out ?
Only for nutritional purposes Terry....but you can't eat all of it, it is bad for you.
I was in 2/75 from 97 to 00. 5-99

"He only loved people, he thought, who had fought or been mutilated. Other people were fine and you liked them and were good friends; but you only felt true tenderness and love for those who had been there and had received the castigation that everyone receives who goes there long enough." Ernest Hemingway
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

Die or dont go...
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
Parabellum
Ranger

Post by Parabellum »

You will feel like shit everyday that you are there and 6-8 months after the fact. Like Abell said "Die or don't go."
"We spoke to them in the only language they understood - the machine gun."

HHC 1/75 Oct 98-Mar 99
B co 1/75 Mar 99-Apr 04
ROC RSTB RIP/PRC Cadre Apr 04-May 06
A co 1/75 May 06-Jul 08
HHC 1/75 Jul 08-Mar 09

RS 3-99
toad
Ranger

Post by toad »

You will be so damn tired, hungry or cold most of the time you wont know if you are sick. You just need to be worried about being in excellent physical shape and being prepared to walk for days!!!
Cco 3/75th 2nd plt wpns sqd 87-89
RS 8-88
avidwanderer
USAF Vet/US Army Chopper Pilot

Post by avidwanderer »

Roger--suck it up. If my unit gets the slot I am going. Not gonna quit.
Nov 2001--March 2006 52 SFS, 49 OSS
as active duty air force security forces
--crossed to army--
March 2006-May 2006 WOCS Class 06-07
May 2006-Nov 2007 B Co. 1/145th
Nov 2007-In a US army CAB
Oct 2008--Oct 2009 Camp Speicher B. 3-10 AVN
Oct 2010--Present JAF Task Force Six Shooters (Calvary)
AIR CAV!!!!
Denny
USN Veteran

A mind

Post by Denny »

In addition to being as physically ready as humanly possible I would recommend you prepare you mind. Get your affairs in order so you can concentrate on the task at hand. Many many moons ago when I was on active duty I would tell young people this very same thing.

Good luck to you in your endevour
United States Navy 1971 - 1992
Submarine Service
Retired 10/1/1992 MCPO(SS) / E-9

Now federal police officer
toad
Ranger

Post by toad »

Fish3069 wrote:I did not get sick, but I did somehow catch some crabs in mountains. At least I had my own shitter.
I hope it wasnt from your Ranger buddie!!!!
Cco 3/75th 2nd plt wpns sqd 87-89
RS 8-88

Return to “About Ranger School - In Honor of Ranger BattleBoar - RIP”