Option 40....Prior Service or not?

IF you are a Ranger or are serving/have served in the Armed Forces, please include your dates of service, unit(s) and additional info. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
IF you are a Ranger or are serving/have served in the Armed Forces, please include your dates of service, unit(s) and additional info. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.
Musashistudent3108
Embryo

Re: Option 40....Prior Service or not?

Post by Musashistudent3108 »

Whom with Admins should I be asking about this? I imagine that once I am junior enlisted again wandering about hounding various NCO's about credit for NG time would be frowned upon.
1/214th FA GA ANG 2009-2011
3/108th CAV (R&S) GA ANG 2011-2013

"think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world"- M. Musashi
"a pint of sweat will save a gallon of blood"- G.S. Patton
"You must understand that there is more than one path to the top of the mountain" - M. Musashi
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

When you enlist, you will have the opportunity to do this. if it does not happen, you can do it at your first duty station.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
SLEDGE HAMMER
Ranger

Post by SLEDGE HAMMER »

Musashistudent3108 wrote:Whom with Admins should I be asking about this? I imagine that once I am junior enlisted again wandering about hounding various NCO's about credit for NG time would be frowned upon.
As Ranger Jim said, if it somehow isn't handled when you first inprocess, it will be one of the top priorities of your TL/SL(with regards to squaring you away) when you first show up to your unit. Make sure you're being payed correctly by Uncle Sam is quite important.
First Batt, Best Batt 09-12
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

You'll get/should get a 214 when you resign out of the Guard. Theoretically, you'll have a one day/no day break in service. Your PEBD and BASD won't be the same.

pay entry basic date is the day you joined the mil. Pay is based off that.

Basic active service date is the day you go on active duty, and is used to fix retirement dates. Your guard time will be prorated to backdate your BASD. My three years of guard time worked out to 6 months of active time, based on number of M days/MUDAs I'd accrued.

And my pay wasn't an issue, it was straight, based off my BASD. If yours becomes one, you go to your first line supervisor, (TL) so he an get you to Finance to fix it. Or your Drill if you go through an AIT, and see a discrepancy on your LES. But you tell your CoC, and they get it fixed, because that's what leaders do. As a PL, you should already know that.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

So, to be clear, you should have a no/1 day break in service that doesn't affect your PEBD, which gives you full credit for pay, when considering your guard time.

Your BASD will get backdated from the day you sign into active duty, on a one for one by MUDAs.

Should be clear and a non issue on your first LES, if not, fix it.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
Musashistudent3108
Embryo

@Zone IV I graduated from an Early Commission Program, its a program authorized by the United State Army to commission 2LT's into the Guard and Reserve after achieving an Associates Degree, it began in Vietnam, and should have been scrapped after Vietnam, but some nostalgic old timers decided to keep it around even though it costs the Army more money than it is worth ( 1 ECP cadet = roughly 3 ROTC cadets) and it robs the Cadets of experience and maturity that they could glean through going through all four years of a Cadet program. We can go active duty, but its a bit like a rich man trying to get to heaven, easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle.
I am almost complete with my Bachelors, but that is not supposed to affect my attendance to OBC, at 90 hours our units are encouraged to slot us, they declined to do so, which means that I am stuck as an unqualified, non-deployable, 2LT until they find spare money in the budget to send me, which S-1 projects to be the day after never. At this point my commission is in the rear view mirror, I have no desire to keep it, if they offered me OBC tomorrow I would hand them a copy of my resignation, which they will be receiving anyway when the fiscal year rolls over come hell or high water. My only regret is that I commissioned and 101 other cadets never got the chance, ( we started with 120 and graduated 18).

@KWDriver, Thanks I will definitely track that, if for nothing else to make it easier on my soon to be TL/SL, but if they told me I didn't get any credit for my time in the Guard it really wouldn't bother me. I would give it up for a shot at RASP, because I am getting the scroll, one way or another.

"You must understand that there is more than one path to the top of the mountain" - M. Musashi
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

I did not have that experience. I was a SSG who went to OCS, I fell into the pay grade O-IE, when I was a PL in the 82d, we still paid cash. My first CO detailed me as the pay officer, so I saw everyone's pay voucher. I made more money than the First Sergeant and the Company Commander (in those days it was two years to CPT). Yeah, pay attention to detail.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Musashistudent3108
Embryo

@Jim

With all due respect, the commission is for some people, I am not one of these people. I have a list of reasons why I want to give up my commission, I have considered the pros and cons, and the cons are things I can live with. This wasn't a snap decision it was something that has been in the back of my mind for the past two years, and it recently became something I wanted to bring to fruition. Its not something I am considering going back on. At this point I will be tendering my resignation immediately proceeding the new fiscal year to maximize my chances of getting an option 40 slot, attending AIT/OSUT, Airborne School, then RASP. Its going to happen, I will recycle or try again if I have to as many times as is necessary, but by the time I arrive at RASP its in my hands. I am mostly concerned about the ADMIN pitfalls, and the difficulty of achieving a slot in order to get my shot.

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Don't misunderstand me. There is not a thing wrong with resigning your commission to enlist. My point was to ensure that you get credit for your prior service.

A friend of mine wanted to resign his commission to take a job with industry. He was a USMA graduate who had enlisted and went to West Point Prep. For some reason he was not credited with over a year enlisted service prior to becoming a cadet. We went back and since he was not credited with his year + when he was commissioned, we had to force DFAS to re-compute his pay throughout his years of commissioned service . The total number of dollars was not that much but he was able to qualify for a 20-year pension. BTW, he is still working for industry and making serious $.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Musashistudent3108
Embryo

Good for him,
so basically just be careful, talk to my SL/TL and make sure I get credit for the time? Won't it make it sort of weird for my leadership knowing I used to be an Officer? Will I be treated differently? I would prefer as few people know as possible.

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Hopefully it can be corrected when you enlist.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
SLEDGE HAMMER
Ranger

Post by SLEDGE HAMMER »

Musashistudent3108 wrote:Good for him,
so basically just be careful, talk to my SL/TL and make sure I get credit for the time? Won't it make it sort of weird for my leadership knowing I used to be an Officer? Will I be treated differently? I would prefer as few people know as possible.
Everyone will know, nobody will give a shit, and no one will treat you differently. You'll be a cherry private and get your balls smoked as such.
First Batt, Best Batt 09-12
Musashistudent3108
Embryo

@SLEDGE HAMMER

If I wanted it any other way I would be looking somewhere else.

rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

Just getting in on this...

I went to ANCOC (now SLC) with a guy who was a Company CDR in Iraq. He resigned his commission. He got nothing but respect.

Granted your situation is different. I think most people will ask "How'd that happen?" shrug then get on smoking the piss out of you. If you spend any time in the Army at all there's a million different "shrug" stories.

Also do me a favor and drop the @whoever. Would address your commander that way or even your PSG?

Tough
Rangertough
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
C CO/HHC 2/75 '93-97, Bragg '97-'99, HHC/C CO/A CO 2/75 99'-'01 RS 8-94.

Return to “Introductions - Rangers, Veterans, Ranger Wives/Parents”