SITREP - Aaron

Commo from our members who are in OSUT, Jump School, RIP, Ranger School, etc.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: SITREP - Aaron

Post by Jim »

Apkaz wrote:I got lucky and classed up with everyone last week. So far so good, we got a warm welcome from the Cadre :lol: and Ive met some people on here in person, elgecko is one. Pretty cool how we talked to each other on here before we even shipped off for basic training and now we're in the same RASP class. I will keep you Rangers updated as we progress, just taking one day at a time for now.
Proud of both of you. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Apkaz
Ranger

Post by Apkaz »

Just finished up week 4. At the halfway point now, so far so good expect for a sprained ankle. I had to tough it out through our 10 mile ruck on Friday which was a bitch but, I still made it on time. Cole Range wasn't too bad after all, my land nav skills suck though. I just barely passed my day iterations. We had a few dropped because of that and I think we had close to 15 people quit. This past week we did mobility which was fun. This guy in my squad somehow managed to flip one of the Humvees on flat ground. It was crazy and luckily nobody got hurt because everyone except the driver didn't combat lock their doors so they flew open when they rolled.

Looking forward to these next 2 weeks before HBL though. We'll be focusing on marksmanship and demolition. After HBL we'll have one more week of training and then graduation, crazy how fast this is going by.
I live to train. I train to live. Go hard or go home, no pain no gain.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Excellent! How is elgecko doing?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Apkaz
Ranger

Post by Apkaz »

Ranger Jim, Elgecko is doing great, I believe he got orders to 2nd batt. We both graduated this past Thursday and enjoying our four day weekend.

It is crazy how much has changed in these past 2 years of my life. I went from working a shitty retail job and taking some college classes, to enlisting in the army, and now starting my journey as an Airborne Ranger. I have been counting my blessings along the way. I was blessed to even get the opportunity to attend RASP never mind make it through. Now I have been reading a lot of other SOF community forums and there is a lot of talk about how RASP standards have been lowered and graduation class sizes are way too big and how RIP was 20x harder etc. while a lot of that might be true..don't think its a cake walk. We had over 160 people during PRE-RASP and ended up starting RASP at 126 and finishing out with 87. The class below us started RASP with 148 and after getting back from Cole Range they had less than 90. It's still a challenge, you still need to mentally and physically prepare yourself, and most of all, like all the other Rangers repeatedly say...Don't ever quit.

It felt amazing to finally don that beret and put on that scroll but, I realize I still have a long way to go. This is only the beginning and I have a lot more to accomplish. A good quote from our guest speaker sums it up the best "be proud, but never satisfied". That's something that everyone should live by. I'll be heading to RSTB after I go to Airborne school..yes, airborne school. Apparently since my MOS (35F) has the highest dropout rate they send us to RASP first then Airborne. Regardless, big thank you to all the Rangers on this forum for providing their knowledge and expertise for everyone to read. I will pay it forward and will definitely continue to stay active on here. To anyone who has been following this thread and has questions feel free to message me.
I live to train. I train to live. Go hard or go home, no pain no gain.
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Congratulations Ranger Apkaz, we are proud of you.

Good luck with your BAC. You still have a bit of training left. Never, never quit.

Keep posting your sitreps here.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Congratulations RANGER. Well done.

While the attrition rates for RIP were much higher back in the day, that can only be attributed to the Regiment and RASP Cadre now having the ability to have a much better student selection to work with. RIP was pure smoke to weed out those undesirables, while RASP has already passed that point and can get right to training, so that the young Rangers can assimilate easier into their platoons upon arrival and get into specific training with them.

I absolutely would not say that RASP is easier by any means, just smarter now in their approach to accepting students, which in the long run only benefits everyone involved.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
SLEDGE HAMMER
Ranger

Post by SLEDGE HAMMER »

x2 what Ranger cams said. And congrats Ranger Apkaz, welcome to the brotherhood. Good luck at Airborne.
First Batt, Best Batt 09-12
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

SLEDGE HAMMER wrote:x2 what Ranger cams said. And congrats Ranger Apkaz, welcome to the brotherhood. Good luck at Airborne.
Indeed! Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Congrats, young Ranger.