Intro-Phil

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

GreySpe95
Inprocessing

Intro-Phil

Post by GreySpe95 »

Good afternoon Rangers! My name is Phil, I am a 17 year old senior in high school, and it is my goal to one day be a Ranger. I have read posts on this site for a few months now and just created an account. My father was in the army, and it's what I have wanted to do since I was in 5th grade. I want to defend my country and become a man I can be proud of, and I know the Army will do that for me. I want to serve with men that are highly motivated, men that truly want to be serving, not people that are there just for a free education, or something to put on a resume. The Rangers are among the best of the best, and I know that only those that truly want to be there will obtain the tab, so I have set my goal on the 75th.
I run cross country, track, and I wrestle, all to help get me in shape. In November I fell while rock climbing and got a third degree tear in my right AC joint (that's in the shoulder) so I was unable to do upper body exercises, however I continued to do core workouts. Now that my shoulder is just about back to 100% I have started doing pushups and pullups again. I conducted a self administered fitness test last night (minus the two mile run) and I did 47 pushups in two mintues, 57 situps in two minutes, and 6 deadhang pullups. I turn 18 in July and hope to secure an option 40 contract, so my goal is to get those scores up to 75 pushups, 80 situps, and 15 pullups by then.

I am currently not a part of the DEP as my mother does not support me enlisting before I have a college degree, however I know that enlisting is what I want to do, so I have to wait until my 18th birthday to begin the enlistment process.

Your advice and guidance will be greatly appreciated, and I will do my best to follow it to the letter. I'm sure that statements such as "I'm the real deal, I'll never give up on my Ranger dream" are quite common with new members, so maybe it won't mean as much when I say it, but I'll say it nonetheless. I am 100% devoted to becoming a Ranger and joining the ranks of all of you honorable Soldiers. I have the Ranger creed memorized, I'm working on my APFT scores, and I am on track to graduate in June. A retired Soldier (who also is also a wrestling coach of mine) said that he would take me to a shooting range and teach me how to shoot, but I was wondering what else all of you would recommend I do to prepare for enlisting.

I also took the ASVAB at my high school, I'm not completely sure how to read all the scores, but my AQFT score was 92. I would greatly appreciate it if someone would be able to help me decipher the scores because I'm kind of lost :)

Thank you for allowing me to join this site, it's an honor to be communicating with all of you Soldiers, Ranger, or otherwise.
B Co 3/75

Never quit
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Intro-Phil

Post by Steadfast »

Welcome GreySpe95.

Tell your father I said thank you for his service to our country.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
GreySpe95
Inprocessing

Post by GreySpe95 »

Thank you for the welcome Ranger Steadfast! I would pass on your message to my father, but he and my mother are divorced and we haven't stayed in contact with him, the thought is appreciated though!
B Co 3/75

Never quit
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

GreySpe95 wrote:Thank you for the welcome Ranger Steadfast! I would pass on your message to my father, but he and my mother are divorced and we haven't stayed in contact with him, the thought is appreciated though!
I can identify with your comment. My father was a sergeant with an infantry unit in WWII. My parents divorced when I was in grade school. I'm impressed with your introduction. If you want to earn a place in the 75th Ranger Regiment, you came to the right site we take pride in the fine young men who pass through here on their life journey. You have been lurking and learning. Please tell us more, Where do you live? Why do you want to be a Ranger? Consider telling your mother that you want to enlist to get money for college. When you talk to your recruiter, tell him you want to be a Ranger!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
GreySpe95
Inprocessing

Post by GreySpe95 »

Ranger ManchuV, thank you for the welcome!
Ranger Jim, I live in Northern Virginia, I want to be a Ranger because I want to be one of the best, and I want to serve with the best. I want to know that the man on my left and right is fully competent and has the will to get the job done, and I want to know that I also have the intestinal fortitude required to complete the mission. While every job in the Army is important, I want to have an active, direct role in the defense of our country and our freedoms. I believe that settling for anything less then Ranger would not be living up to my full potential, and I'm sure I would regret it if I didn't try to go for the best. I have read that while speaking to a recruiter I should clearly state that I won't enlist without an option 40, so that is what I plan on doing. When speaking to a recruiter should I mention my ASVAB scores?
Thank you for your time!
B Co 3/75

Never quit
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

[quote="GreySpe95"]Ranger Jim, I live in Northern Virginia./quote]
Where in NOVA?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site, Phil.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
GreySpe95
Inprocessing

Post by GreySpe95 »

Thank you for the welcome Ranger CharlieRanger1FFV!

Ranger Jim, I live in Mclean, right down the street from the CIA
B Co 3/75

Never quit
GreySpe95
Inprocessing

Post by GreySpe95 »

Update on the APFT scores, Pushups: 54 in 2 minutes (increased by 11), Situps: 64 in 2 minutes (increase by 14)
Going to my school's track to get a 2 mile run timed.
Damn, it feels good to start getting back into shape :D
B Co 3/75

Never quit
GreySpe95
Inprocessing

Post by GreySpe95 »

Good evening, two mile run was pretty decent, 12:33 on my high school track. My goal is 12 flat
B Co 3/75

Never quit
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

When do you turn 18?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
GreySpe95
Inprocessing

Post by GreySpe95 »

I turn 18 on July 10 Ranger Jim
B Co 3/75

Never quit
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

Sounds like you have given it some thought and want to join for the right reasons, as opposed to the son of a friend who joined because he wanted student loan repayment. He is now miserable and stationed at Ft. Drum. One thing to consider about going to college first; having just two years will max out your promotion points needed. With those points maxed out it is one thing less you need to worry about, and promotions will come faster. It is entirely possible, especially going to the Ranger Regiment, to make E-7 in 7 years. College can be done while in Batt, but it is far easier to get it out of the way first. You do what you think is best, but it is something to think about. Oh, and welcome.

Doc out.
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
GreySpe95
Inprocessing

Post by GreySpe95 »

Roger that Ranger The Sleepy Doc! As of now, promotions don't seem that important to me, the Army could pay me in pebbles and I'd be happy, however college is definitely something that I'd like to do at some point. To me, enlisting as soon as possible and completing college while in battalion sounds like a great plan, however I will definitely consider college first, if you believe that to be a better plan.
Thank you for you advice and welcome!
B Co 3/75

Never quit

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”