When to start talking with a recruiter?

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
Bronco
Quitter

Re: When to start talking with a recruiter?

Post by Bronco »

Ranger cams, I will definitely consider seeing a different recruiter and will pay very close attention to Ranger goon175's advice.
11X OPT 40
SHIP DATE: 20140715

"Five Mentees Report Here" Thread Member
PerryB
Recruiting for the Darkside

Post by PerryB »

Wow sounds like that recruiter is a real POS. Sorry about that. I work at meps and see it all too often. I wouldn't worry about the PT program at the station. Do it on your own. Every young man I enlist with a option 40 is given the 12 week pre RASP work out plan, briefed on this website, and I recommend they read the book "Roberts Ridge". I was not a Ranger but as a guidance counselor I want to give everyone I come in contact with to have every chance to succeed.
It may have changed but generally high schools are assigned a recruiter that is responsible for enlisting the kids from that school. In other words it might be hard to switch recruiters. Stick to your guns and get what you want. There is no hurry to enlist. As I suggested earlier wait till the class of 2013 graduates before you do anything. I can and will let you know when option 40 contracts are open for the class of 2014.

Perryb
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

PerryB wrote: As I suggested earlier wait till the class of 2013 graduates before you do anything. I can and will let you know when option 40 contracts are open for the class of 2014.
In the meantime, continue to learn as much as you can on this site. Continue to PT, continue to prepare yourself for service in the 75th Ranger Regiment. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Bronco
Quitter

Post by Bronco »

PerryB and Ranger Jim, I'll be sure to continue preparing myself for service in the 75th Regiment and not do anything until the summer.

Is it alright if I were to go to the Marine pt training or should I just continue to do it on my own? The Marine recruiter that came to my house unexpectedly yesterday seems like he really wants me to join their DEPs program, but I'm not changing my mind, I want to be a Ranger in the 75th Regiment.
11X OPT 40

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Mustardseed12 wrote:Is it alright if I were to go to the Marine pt training or should I just continue to do it on my own? The Marine recruiter that came to my house unexpectedly yesterday seems like he really wants me to join their DEPs program, but I'm not changing my mind, I want to be a Ranger in the 75th Regiment.
If he offers you the oppotunity to do organized PT take it. PT on your own.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

It just came down on high that no one except actual Marine Poolee's are allowed to attend their PT sessions, due to an applicant having a stroke during one of their PT sessions. So I would be surprised if that invitation is still open to you.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
Bronco
Quitter

Post by Bronco »

Ranger goon175, I'm not sure if the invitation is still open or not. I contacted him through an email, but he hasn't responded. However, he did friend me on facebook but other than that he hasn't said anything else about me attending their pt.

I may just continue to do pt on my own because I don't want someone trying to persuade me to enlist into the Marines. I know what I want and I'm not going to settle for anything else. In addition to that, track is about to start in March so I will not be able to make it to their pt sessions. However, if I am able to attend even after this incident and I don't have track practice, then I will go to the Marine pt sessions.
11X OPT 40

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Mustardseed12 wrote:Ranger goon175, I'm not sure if the invitation is still open or not. I contacted him through an email, but he hasn't responded. However, he did friend me on facebook but other than that he hasn't said anything else about me attending their pt.

I may just continue to do pt on my own because I don't want someone trying to persuade me to enlist into the Marines. I know what I want and I'm not going to settle for anything else. In addition to that, track is about to start in March so I will not be able to make it to their pt sessions. However, if I am able to attend even after this incident and I don't have track practice, then I will go to the Marine pt sessions.
Do the PT. Just remember you want an Option 40.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Bronco
Quitter

Post by Bronco »

PerryB, I really appreciate you helping me out.

I'm currently reading Sua Sponte: The Forging of a Modern American Ranger, but when I'm finished with it I will read the book Roberts Ridge.

Roger Ranger Jim, I won't settle for anything less.
11X OPT 40

Bronco
Quitter

Post by Bronco »

Hello everyone, I've probably stated this before, but I can't join DEPs until late March/early May. Anyways I just wanted to ask a couple questions about MEPs and Option 40.

I'm kind of confused about MEPs, do I have to enlist before I go to MEPs in order to take the ASVAB and get my physical? Also my recruiter gave me this packet to fill out, can I turn it in now even though I can't enlist yet?

Also I saw some thread from last year and a bunch of Option 40's were coming out in April all the way through May, does this happen every year?
11X OPT 40

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Mustardseed12 wrote:Hello everyone, I've probably stated this before, but I can't join DEPs until late March/early May. Anyways I just wanted to ask a couple questions about MEPs and Option 40.

I'm kind of confused about MEPs, do I have to enlist before I go to MEPs in order to take the ASVAB and get my physical? Also my recruiter gave me this packet to fill out, can I turn it in now even though I can't enlist yet?

Also I saw some thread from last year and a bunch of Option 40's were coming out in April all the way through May, does this happen every year?
Have you been using the search feature located on the top right part of this page? You should be able to find answers to most of your questions. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Bronco
Quitter

Post by Bronco »

Ranger Jim, I did find some information about MEPs. It said most people have already enlisted prior going to MEPs, but you don't have to be enlisted in order to go and take the ASVAB.

However, I didn't find anything about the Option 40 question. I've seen that the best time to get one is when the new fiscal year starts which is in October. I couldn't find any threads that specifically said that there were a lot of Option 40's available throughout April and May every year. I just found a thread from last year where people would update it, letting others know when they were available. I was just wondering if this typically happens every year.
11X OPT 40

elgecko
Ranger

Post by elgecko »

Mustardseed12, PM inbound
Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.
-Virgil

E Co, 2/75
RS 2-15
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Mustardseed12 wrote:Ranger Jim, I did find some information about MEPs. It said most people have already enlisted prior going to MEPs, but you don't have to be enlisted in order to go and take the ASVAB.

However, I didn't find anything about the Option 40 question. I've seen that the best time to get one is when the new fiscal year starts which is in October. I couldn't find any threads that specifically said that there were a lot of Option 40's available throughout April and May every year. I just found a thread from last year where people would update it, letting others know when they were available. I was just wondering if this typically happens every year.
One step at a time there High Speed. Fill out your packet from the Recruiter, it's basic infomation he needs to get you started.

Once completed he will take you to MEP's to take your ASVAB. After you're scored you can then begin to determine what MOS you'll fit into and what options are available to you.

OPT40's come out when they come out, it's the needs of the Regiment vs the needs of the Army, not a fast food line. Don't be pressured into signing anything if it's not what you want, i.e. Opt40.

As for basics here, you're posting style has greatly improved from the jumbled mess you started off with, it's much less lazy as we discussed and more to standard, don't let up on that as you progress here, it should be 100% and then some at all times. This shows that you're trainable and can follow simple instruction. Good.

Read more, search more, do more PT, much more, and don't get ahead of yourself. Your time will come and if you're squared away, you'll get your shot.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
Bronco
Quitter

Post by Bronco »

Rangers,

Just wanted to give you guys a quick update. My packet is almost complete, I just need to get my character references completed; I already know who I am going to ask so my packet should be completed within a week or less. I decided to buy the book "ASVAB for Dummies" just to help me out a little bit. I think I could do fine on the ASVAB without any studying, but why shouldn't I try and get the best score I possibly can. Once my packet is completed I will take it to the recruiter's office and hopefully take the ASVAB in a month or less, (I want to look through most of the book) then get my physical and wait to enter DEP. I'm not positive on when I will actually enlist, any advice about when I should (I know I should enlist before October because that's when the Army's new fiscal year starts)?

I've been really focusing on memorizing the Ranger Creed; as of right now I have half of it memorized and I should have it completely memorized by the end of the weekend. I decided to write it down on a piece of paper last night and am going to lay it next to my bed so when I wake up and go to bed I will see it. Now I will start living by it.
11X OPT 40

Return to “Recruitment Process”