When to start talking with a recruiter?

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
Bronco
Quitter

When to start talking with a recruiter?

Post by Bronco »

Hello Rangers and future soldiers,

I'm currently a junior in high school and am positive I want to try to become a Ranger through the enlisted route with an 11x Option 40 contract. I've heard about DEP and want to join it, but I don't graduate high school until late May of 2014. Anyways my question is when should I go and start talking to a recruiter? Is there a possibility of me being able to join DEP now? Do you have to pass the APFT before you receive a contract? Any information would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: When to start talking with a recruiter?

Post by Jim »

Mustardseed12 wrote:Hello Rangers and future soldiers,

I'm currently a junior in high school and am positive I want to try to become a Ranger through the enlisted route with an 11x Option 40 contract. I've heard about DEP and want to join it, but I don't graduate high school until late May of 2014. Anyways my question is when should I go and start talking to a recruiter? Is there a possibility of me being able to join DEP now? Do you have to pass the APFT before you receive a contract? Any information would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Call your local recruiter and tell him what you want.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

The earliest you would be able to enlist into the DEP is 14 months from graduation, assuming you are 17 at that time, and your parents sign their consent.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
Bronco
Quitter

Post by Bronco »

Thanks for the help Ranger Jim and Ranger goon175, I really appreciate it. I still need to talk to my parents about joining DEP in March, I've told them that this is something I really want to do, but we haven't discussed it in depth. I plan on sitting down with them and talking about it very soon. Would it be better to go to the recruiter's office in person rather than over the phone? I feel like if I called the recruiter he would just laugh at me because in his mind I'm some punk 17 year old kid. However, if I were to go there in person I could show him that I'm serious and that I won't settle for anything else. Ranger Jim I know you said to call my recruiter, but I still need to discuss it with my parents and I don't want to make a bad first impression.
11X OPT 40
SHIP DATE: 20140715

"Five Mentees Report Here" Thread Member
PerryB
Recruiting for the Darkside

Post by PerryB »

It is always a good idea to talk to your parents and let them know why you want to join. They should accompany you to see your recruiter. I'm sure the recruiters won't laugh, they always need to add people to their pipeline. Like Goon175 wrote you can join 14 months out from your graduation but the jobs at that time are very limited. If you want a option 40 contract then wait till the class of 2013 graduates high school. You'll then see an increase in options for high school seniors. If the recruiting station is any good they can start allowing you to attend future soldier training they have scheduled. You should also be able to take the ASVAB and with your parents consent take the physical. That will at least let you know if you qualify for a option 40 contract. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Perryb
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Post by IEDmagnet »

I started talking to one my freshman year, and he was the one that enlisted me.

From a recruiters stand point, the sooner the better. You may not be an immediate number, but the long term contacts always worked out better for me (and spawned more enlistments). Just my $.02.
A/3/505 PIR, 82nd 96-98
B/2/121 Inf, 48th BCT Iraq 05-06
B/1/118 Inf, 218th BCT Afghan 07

I'm not stupid, I'm crazy...there is a difference.
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

Yeah man, most recruiters actually have to focus on guys your age, so you definitely won't be laughed at. Give them a call and see if one can come out to the house and sit down with you and your parents. There is no point in you and your parents discussing the merits of something with out the whole picture, which hopefully that recruiter (if he is any good) can provide.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
Bronco
Quitter

Post by Bronco »

Hey everyone, I know it's been awhile, but I finally called an Army recruiter. He asked me if I knew what I wanted to do in the Army and I told him infantry, but more specifically get option 40 in my contract and get into the 75th Ranger Regiment. He scheduled an appointment with me on Thursday right after school. He said my parents could come along, but they are both working and my dad says he doesn't really have any questions, so I plan on going by myself. He said to make sure to bring questions with me, but I've done a lot of research and as of right now can't think of any ( I'm going to do more research and will definitely have questions to ask on Thursday). Do any of you former or current Rangers know of any topics a civilian might not know about before enlisting that I could ask questions about?

Anyways I'm kind of excited to be starting this process even though I'm in high school and everyone says that you will end up struggling in life if you don't go to college. Becoming a Ranger in the 75th Regiment is something I aspire to do, and I know it's not going to be easy.
Last edited by Bronco on February 7th, 2013, 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
11X OPT 40

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Mustardseed12 wrote:Anyways I'm kind of excited to be starting this process even though I'm in high school and everyone says that you will end up struggling in life if you don't go to college. Becoming a Ranger in the 75th Regiment is something I aspire to do, and I know it's not going to be easy.
No, it won't be easy. Nothing worthwhile is easy. If you decide to go to college after your initial enlistment, you'll be much more mature than most college freshmen,
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

It is very common to take college classes while in Batt. these days.

Personally, I feel that my time in Batt. has given me more tools for success than anything I have done in college.
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
Bronco
Quitter

Post by Bronco »

Hey everyone, I went to a recruiters office for the first time today. I asked him some general questions and a little bit about an option 40 contract. He said that even if I were to join DEPs I couldn't get an option 40 contract until I was 18, is this true? I also took the practice ASVAB test and scored an 84, he said it was a good score, but then again before I took it he said the average was 40-50ish, which in my mind seemed horrible before I even took it.

He gave me this packet to fill out if I wanted to, he said he doesn't really care if I join the Army, if I don't want to fill out the packet or come back then I don't have to. I guess my next step is to fill out the packet. I still need to talk a little more with my parents and think about my choices. The only thing that is possibly holding me back is the idea of not going to college and if I were to get out of the Army what I would do without a college degree. Is there anyone on this forum who has recently enlisted after high school and could give me some advice?
11X OPT 40

goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

You can get an opt. 40 at 17 - if they are available.

Go to college while you are in so that you don't have to get out with out a degree.
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
Bronco
Quitter

Post by Bronco »

Current and former Rangers, when I went to my local recruiting office they were about to have their pt session. There was maybe five people who showed up and none of them seemed like they were really motivated. Not only that, but when the recruiter was talking to me he didn't even say a word about me possibly attending it. I'm pretty sure they just play football for their pt, so what's the point of me showing up even if I was allowed to? Earlier this evening a Marine recruiter showed up at my house unexpectedly. I guess my older sister sent in some mail I received about the Marines that said I was interested without my knowledge. The Marine recruiter seemed very interested in me/wanted to really help me. He said to come by the recruiting office sometime and that I could attend their pt sessions every tuesday and thursday and he said they actually do pt unlike the Army recruiting office next door. Should I attend the Marine pt even though I want to become an Army Ranger? What should I tell the Marine recruiter?
Last edited by Bronco on February 8th, 2013, 6:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
11X OPT 40

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Mustardseed12 wrote: Should I attend the Marine pt even though I want to become an Army Ranger? What should I tell the Marine recruiter?
I would take the PT and take an option 40. If the Army recruiter sees you doing PT, he will realize you are serious.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Personally I believe if the Army Recruiter said he doesn't care if you join or not, and has a lackadaisical attitude, it sounds as though he's already 'riding the pine' and will not be very helpful, outside of doing nothing or just plain bullshitting you into signing anything. Plain speak; he doesn't sound very motivated. As a Ranger you will be excreting motivation from your pores.

I'd suggest going to see a different recruiter. There's nothing wrong with seeing what the Marines offer, as long as you don't get all glossy-eyed like a schoolgirl over the uniform and stick to your guns about what you want, if in fact that is an Opt 40 Contract. I've seen a lot of Marines get out and go Ranger, but never seen a Ranger get out to go Marine.

Follow very closely Ranger goon175's advice to other young men wanting Ranger, or about all things Army, he's an absolute vault of knowledge. Go search and read all of the questions that have already been asked of him, study here, learn and then make educated decisions.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant

Return to “Recruitment Process”