Veteran detained for anti-government Facebook posts

Discussions on the American political landscape and its participants, world events and defense policy.

Moderator: Site Admin

Bushwack
US Army Veteran - Ranger Parent

Re: Veteran detained for anti-government Facebook posts

Post by Bushwack »

"One of my major "pet peeves", at this point, is the impunity with which people spew shit from their Facebook pages and use it as a platform for subversive rhetoric under the guise of free speech."

I think us as a free people and veterans need to be very careful about determining "subversive rhetoric" is "BAD". The old USSR used to put many of its' citizens in mental hospitals for subversive speech. (So did the NAZIS)

This is America, we have the right to say what we want if it does not harm anyone. It is our constitutional right! Remember we all swore to protect and defend it. We do need to question each and every instance like this one to ensure that this country does not slip down the slope. The government is not always correct. We may not recover if we allow this to happen without objection.
Worldweaver
Ranger

Post by Worldweaver »

Well let me be a little more concise. If I know someone that I'm "Friends" with on Facebook and he's posting about secret places that the Government holds prisoners and torture and rapes them, not to mention that he is doing this on a public forum where Parents, Grandparent's, children and other's can openly view it, I would be slightly skeptical of their mental stability. I'll take it further to say that if it were a "friend" I would hope that someone, if I was to chicken shit to, would take notice and try to get him some help. Last thing I want is another Marine on top of a clock tower with the media second guessing everything that his "friends" or the Government failed to do for him.

This topic has been discussed at length from both sides and obviously my opinion differs from most on this board. What I do believe however is that with the growing number of suicides by active Military, as well as mental health claims by Veterans, give cause for concern when "we" start spewing shit that any dick off the street can take notice of.
Go Tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, that here obedient to their laws we lie.
--Simonides

Bco. 1/75 2006-2010
RS 06-08
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Post by IEDmagnet »

[quote="TC204"][quote="RangerX"]You will never find me defending Facebook, or its denizens. And I reserve the right to mercilessly mock anyone here who is on Facebook as well.

[/quote]

Hey I resent that! Facebook is where I organize my Militia ;)[/quote]

To contribute to TC204's attorney fund....
AIRBORNEVET
US Army Veteran

Post by AIRBORNEVET »

RangerX is going to be a busy man insulting individuals on Facebook because there are a huge number of current and past SF operators and Rangers on there. And yes I'm talking legitimate ones not PC warriors.
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

The biggest problem I have with Facebook is that I work in IT & know how they operate. To boil it down, if you post ANYTHING, they own it. Even when you "delete" it. They still own it. And yes, they keep EVERYTHING.

The people who run Facebook are scumbags. Want proof? Look at which of them sold assloads of stock after they went public but before their stock tanked. Then look in to why their stock tanked.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

xray wrote:
RangerX wrote:The biggest problem I have with Facebook is that I work in IT & know how they operate. To boil it down, if you post ANYTHING, they own it. Even when you "delete" it. They still own it. And yes, they keep EVERYTHING.

The people who run Facebook are scumbags. Want proof? Look at which of them sold assloads of stock after they went public but before their stock tanked. Then look in to why their stock tanked.
But I don't want to look it up just tell us:-)
Fucker. I am not near a 'real' computer. When I get back home in a couple weeks I will rant some more.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
AIRBORNEVET
US Army Veteran

Post by AIRBORNEVET »

RangerX does bring up a good point that younger generations should read and heed. For me and probably alot of FOG's it's not a big concern having our words come back to haunt us. Not like the majority of us are gonna be running for political office anytime soon. The job I'm at is probably the last til I retire and I don't have the energy or power with everything that's going on in my life to start a militia or movement alone against the government. I'll take the chances with the statements I make that they fall under Freedom of speech and I'm not stupid enough to rant shit that's not considered the norm and pretty far out there which would get me noticed and arrested like the Marine did. I'm sure if big brother was worried or came looking for those who would protect the Constitution if the government overstepped it's bounds the fact I was SOF is already in their databases and be more of a red flag and concern than the Facebook statements I make. That being said a young person should be extremely conscious of their posts not only on Facebook but on news articles and websites. That shit will come back to haunt them ten fold in the future I'm sure if they decide to put themselves up for a public/political position or a job career field that is investigated or scrutinized for clearances. You can tell most of them don't have a clue by the shit they are commenting and their privacy settings being wide open for the world to see. Not only that there are people and entities which will always sell or leak information they have on you if the price is right or it supports their cause. I'm sure Facebook is at the head of the line if it turns a buck or forwards its leaderships political agenda.

Return to “News, Politics, and Policy”