SITREP

Commo from our members who are in OSUT, Jump School, RIP, Ranger School, etc.
NeverSayDie
Tadpole

SITREP

Post by NeverSayDie »

Well, I realized its been awhile since I checked in so here's how its going:

I am about 1/4th of the way through AIT and so far my gpa is a 90, my last PT test was a 290. I was a little irked to learn the extended scale doesn't kick in until you max all three events. Otherwise my pushups would have put me at a 312. My run, pullups and ruck times are the name if the game at this point.

Basic was actually a little harder than i anticipated. This is partly due to the fact that I was fortunate enough to have both former RIP, and SFAS washouts as my Drill SGTs, who took a particular liking to me. I didn't get along to well with alot of the guys or any of the gals in my platoon.Which brings me to a small but vital piece of advice for the DEPs: Dont brush off any of the people in basic just because you know they're gonna be POGs. For better or worse thats you're family for at least the next 9 weeks. Treat them like it. From day one.

I spent a whole lot of time worrying myself sick because i wasn't the best at everything there. Turns out that between two option 40s and the other 4 guys that are dropping packets, we former 2nd plt guys now make up more than half of the total volunteers for RASP in our new AIT company. So ive actually been competing with some of the best this whole time.

We finish up the auditory portion of the Airborne physical Tomorrow. Ill check back in when we get word if the packets get accepted.
Mentee to Ranger K.Ingraham

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: SITREP

Post by Jim »

Good SITREP, Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

I'm curious as to how you know your DS's are RIP/SFAS washouts as you put it. And how that is a fortunate thing for you.

Have times changed that much that they speak so freely about personal failures with young Privates just starting AIT?

I disagree with your assessment on the shitbags in your class. Fuck them, if you know they are shitbags and half stepping all the way, why would you even care or worry about what they do or think? You have a goal to reach, they will slow you down or clearly as is showing, weaken your mindset about quitters or legs.

You should already be showing complete animalism coupled with extreme professionalism to reach the objective, though you be the lone survivor.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

cams wrote:I'm curious as to how you know your DS's are RIP/SFAS washouts as you put it. And how that is a fortunate thing for you.

Have times changed that much that they speak so freely about personal failures with young Privates just starting AIT?

I disagree with your assessment on the shitbags in your class. Fuck them, if you know they are shitbags and half stepping all the way, why would you even care or worry about what they do or think? You have a goal to reach, they will slow you down or clearly as is showing, weaken your mindset about quitters or legs.

You should already be showing complete animalism coupled with extreme professionalism to reach the objective, though you be the lone survivor.
Great assessment, Jeff. NSD, earn this!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
NeverSayDie
Tadpole

Post by NeverSayDie »

cams wrote:I'm curious as to how you know your DS's are RIP/SFAS washouts as you put it. And how that is a fortunate thing for you.

Ranger Cams,

Out in the big Army my experience thus far has been that people are not ashamed to admit they didn't make it through whatever selection process they attended.

Also, being in everyone's shit all the time got it to the point where i couldnt keep a good working relationship with my platoon. Basic was a team graded exercise, and running against the grain only made my time in IET more difficult than it had to be. I had to learn that leadership, especially peer leadership is about a lot more than yelling at people when they fuck up.

NeverSayDie
Tadpole

Post by NeverSayDie »

Another check-in:

Starting tower week tomorrow. Although, due to the holidays the training schedule got jumbled a bit, so we already did half of tower week during ground week. We ( myself and the 6 other medics here) are fitting in with the Infantry guys here alot better than we did back in Sam Houston.

You would not believe the shit people come to us with. I got guys asking me questions about their sick dog.

Got called doc for the first time yesterday.

goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

keep up the good work! don't completely forget your medic stuff while in airborne! and stay out of trouble!!
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Weak SITREP. Do better next time. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

NeverSayDie wrote:

Ranger Cams,

Out in the big Army my experience thus far has been that people are not ashamed to admit they didn't make it through whatever selection process they attended.

Also, being in everyone's shit all the time got it to the point where i couldnt keep a good working relationship with my platoon. Basic was a team graded exercise, and running against the grain only made my time in IET more difficult than it had to be. I had to learn that leadership, especially peer leadership is about a lot more than yelling at people when they fuck up.
You're missing my point completely stud. I never mentioned shame or yelling at anybody as a leadership trait.

There is no shame in failing, as long as you gave 110% to the objective. My point was did things change that much that your DS's came out and spoke so freely with young Privates about it. Just doesn't make sense to me, and how did that become a fortunate thing for you as a Private in training. Did they quit? We're they LOM'd? Maybe I'm just getting old and cranky.

As far as "yelling and getting in everyone's shit", there was no mention of this by me. I stated that you have a goal to reach, and you need to harden your heart and let others who give 50% to fall where they may. These folks will not carry you into RASP, they will go on to big army and forget all about you, unless you let them slow you down, then you'll be right next to them.

Drive on, time to get mean young man. Being friends with everyone ain't gonna win the prize.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92

cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

http://www.armyranger.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=63211

NSD, Read this. From a newly graduated Ranger. It helps to make my point.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

NeverSayDie wrote:Got called doc for the first time yesterday.
You have good reason to be proud. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70

Return to “Letters from School”