O5B Ranger Dorz

This Archive will be used for posts 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

recdream
Inprocessing

O5B Ranger Dorz

Post by recdream »

I served with a bunch of legendary and heroic fellas at 2nd Batt! Early to mid 80's

I was in 3rd Squad under Jack "Doc Savage" Smith, in B Team under the most famous Canuck ever Mitch "Chuckles" Conway who somehow made it to CSM
I was the favorite pull toy RTO for the legendary SFC Palacios (at the time) aka "Sgt P". Guam can grow some real Rangers..
Our top was 1Sg LG Leon Guerrero, another immortal hailing from Guam (what the hell do they feed those guys over there anyways???)
There were hundreds of the "tuffest dudes" there and this was back in the day when we wore BLACK berets...

HOOAH
OTT (who said that alla time?)
Wahila
RLTW

words that are still burned into my brain

I remember names like LT Odom (is he a general yet?), Benny Davila, Rich MaHaffey, Kai, TC White, Col Powell, the super soldier Greg Birch now a CSM (ret), Giles, Kevin "Doc" Trujillo and so many other brave souls.

I never really understood how out of place I was as a mere 05B/radio operator in a Ranger Battalion. I was lost and confused most days but with the care and training heaped upon me by the greatest leaders of our time I somehow made it through.

Basic was a breeze, AIT a snap, jump school was fun. RIP - uhh, I made it through somehow... then new meat/newb/fng status for evers...praying every night not to let my buddies down, being thrown to the wolves at pre-ranger and I just remember being given a can of turkey loaf on graduation before being shipped off to Ranger School, where living legends walked the earth. Cold, sleep deprivation, and pushups (how many? which arm?) and then back to 2nd Batt just in time for Panama and Jungle School! YAY! I wasn't freezing cold anymore, I was finally warm again and understood the language everyone was speaking again. balboa beer...aaah then endless adventures to tell for my Al Bundy moments of glory to the grandkids. Spec Ops training, super fun night combat jumps, dirt bikes (no more walking?) Pathfinder, Jumpmaster, PLC, BNOC, crazy trainings in unique places. I still get a pain in my neck and back whenever I hear "LBRB". Rangerness with haunt me. Leave it better than how you got it. My granddaughter asked me the other day why I straightened the little creases in the hymnal whenever we were at church and I told her about a wise and powerful being named Sgt P, who taught me to always leave things in better shape than what you received them.

I was there, though even after all these years I still think I was superfluous and I sincerely hope I contributed something. I know I made mistakes so I ask for forgiveness of my transgressions. For those years and for those many warriors I served with and under, I say "thank you" from the bottom, top, and whole volume of my heart! /salute. I owe debts of gratitude to all who served and are serving Sua Sponte so thank you. I owe my life to doc Trujillo for keeping me alive in the jungle of Panama when I had a fever spike to some stupidly high number. I owe my life to Jack Smith for saving me from drowning when TC White made me laugh so hard during our "baby seal" training in Coronado I fell off the LBRB with my ruck/radio and was on my way down, down, down. Countless rescues from stupidity on my part, riggings, weapons, chopper crashes, death runs by LTC Powell (RIP), being revived by TC White when I got alcohol poisoning from my initiation and so many other life lessons I am ever so thankful far. My family still looks at me funny when I am in a hurry and mix peanut butter with milk so you can get it down fast. I rarely have any issues sleeping and can sleep anytime, anywhere. I still carry my Ranger coin to this day (no one gonna catch me without it).

And I must admit it. I am PROUD! So VERY VERY PROUD of our Regiment!

Rangers Lead the Way!

Didja know Jesus was the first Ranger? The bible says he came to lead the way....
Dan Harris
A/2/75, 1st Platoon, 3rd Squad 1980-1982 RTO aka "Bird" and/or "Dorz"
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Re: O5B Ranger Dorz

Post by Slowpoke »

Welcome youngster.
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
GoldCoast
Ranger/Matchmaker

Post by GoldCoast »

Awesome intro!
HHC 2/75 (1998- 2000)

Duty a mountain; Death a feather.

One of these days I'll start off slow...
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

O5B Ranger Dorz

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site, 2nd Batt.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Very cool intro indeed. Welcome 2nd Batt Brother.

I too was an RTO out of C/E, humping a 110lb ruck all over Gods creation (all 145lbs of me at the time) tapped to run with B Co for most deployments under SSG Hayes. By then LG was the RCSM, what an absolute stud.

I'm sure most of us feel the exact same way that you still do.

Pull up a rock brother, I'll grab you a beer.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
Invictus
Ranger

Post by Invictus »

I just saw CSM Birch at the RHOF ceremony yesterday, he gave a killer speech! Also, CSM Pickering, who is already a member, got to chat him up a bit.

Welcome here Old Scroll
recdream
Inprocessing

Post by recdream »

awww, I sooooo wanted to be there to honor Greg Birch! I found out too late and could not get there! Anyone know how to reach him? I need to pay my due respects. How was the speech?? C'mon, share up! If anyone knows have him call my cell [cell # deleted] Dan Harris (I hope he remembers me)
Dan Harris
recdream
Inprocessing

Post by recdream »

Oh,, and thanks for the welcome!

While I wasn't one of the uber guys of legend, I did ruck around with some of them.
Dan Harris
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Ranger, check your PM's (private messages).
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant

Return to “Introduction Archive”