38 YEAR OLD FORMER US NAVY SEAL DIES AT DC ZOO

News of interest to those in the Ranger and Special Operations Community. News is generated and placed here from the front page of ArmyRanger.com

Moderator: Site Admin

Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

Gunnar, a gray seal, was part of the US Navy’s Marine Mammal Program. He was taught to use a screwdriver, install equipment and fetch things off the ocean floor.

He was 38:

“In his career as a navy seal, Gunnar learned how to insert and remove equipment, use a screwdriver and turn a large wheel valve,” said the zoo in a statement, playing a pun on the US Navy’s storied SEAL commando units.

He arrived at the National Zoo in January 1979 from the Naval Oceans Systems Centre in San Diego, California, where he sired two female pups that now live in a New Jersey aquarium.

Read More

Yep :D
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Post by IEDmagnet »

[quote="TC204"]

Wow, it can do more than a 11B :)[/quote]

Well can it make complicated hand gestures like an 11B.... as an example, at this very moment I have the back of my hand facing you with my forefinger, ring finger, and pinky finger folded down. The finger in the middle is pointing up. The hand and arm signal means you are number one.
CloakAndDagger
US Army Veteran

Re: 38 YEAR OLD FORMER US NAVY SEAL DIES AT DC ZOO

Post by CloakAndDagger »

[quote="IEDmagnet"]Well can it make complicated hand gestures like an 11B.... as an example, at this very moment I have the back of my hand facing you with my forefinger, ring finger, and pinky finger folded down. The finger in the middle is pointing up. The hand and arm signal means you are number one.[/quote]

Posted to the memorable sayings thread!
hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by hobbit »

Be gentle with these navy guys around here. They had to do their time without benefit of "don't ask, don't tell".
L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. -Albert Einstein
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Post by IEDmagnet »

[quote="TC204"]The Navy didn't have "Foxhole Buddies"[/quote]

You're right, aren't they called "ship mates"? I don't remember any American Infantry calling our fellow troopers "mates".
Bushwack
US Army Veteran - Ranger Parent

Post by Bushwack »

[quote="IEDmagnet"][quote="TC204"]The Navy didn't have "Foxhole Buddies"[/quote]

You're right, aren't they called "ship mates"? I don't remember any American Infantry calling our fellow troopers "mates".[/quote]

Doesn't the NAVY refer to it's people as SEMEN?

Return to “Ranger, SOF and Military News”