Sitrep from Grim666

Commo from our members who are in OSUT, Jump School, RIP, Ranger School, etc.
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Re: Sitrep from Grim666

Post by Sleepy Doc »

Awesome job, brother! It's about time we got a medic with enough sack to finish RASP. Now is when the fun begins..

You are about to take on one of the most exclusive jobs in the Army, that only a privileged few have undertaken. You are going to be a line medic in a Ranger Rifle Company. Think about it; the are are hundreds and hundreds of medics in the combat arms units, probably in the thousands. However, depending upon manning, there will be about 30 to 40 guys in the army who can say they are Ranger platoon medics at any given time. That is a very exclusive club. As I said before, a position not to be taken lightly. From now on, you come after the well being of your men. You will rarely get to take a break during a roadmarch, you will carry more weight than most, you will never, EVER go anywhere without your aidbag, and your weapon. You will be one of the last to rig for a jump, because you will be handing out air-sickness tablets, earplugs and likckies and chewies. You will not complain about anything, at least not in public, and you won't badmouth anyone at any time. You will become a subject-matter expert in all things related to the health and safety of your men, even something simple as digging a slit trench for a patrol base. If needed, you will work late to make sure your platoon has its med and shot records up to date. You will learn exactly what is required for a Ranger School physical, because you don't want your men being kicked back for some stupid shit like that. You will hound your men about turning in their records, because you know that every little health issue is an extra 10% in disability when you ETS or retire and go to get your VA bennies. You will become trained and licensed to drive every vehicle in the Battalion motor pool, because at any time you may have to evac with the vehicle on hand. You will get your EFMB, because to Joe, every good medic has one. Because the Joes deep down don't trust medics, and think we are really lazy, you will qualify expert with your personal weapon. You will do all this, and more. Much, much more..

It is a heavy mantle, too be sure, but efforts like this will not go un-noticed. You will know you are there when you have Joes from two companies over coming to you with their medical problems and the other medics call you "Doc". Be humble & self effacing. In short, let your actions speak for themselves. They have already, by your making it thus far.

Again, outstanding!

RLTW!
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

excerpt of Grim666 wrote:Well the first leg of the journey is complete. I have successfully graduated RASP class 09-12.
Congratulations Ranger Grim666.
I've sent you a packet via PM & I've upgraded your title.
Welcome to the brotherhood Ranger Grim666.
Kudos to your Ranger Mentor - The Sleepy Doc.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Great Job, Ranger . . .welcome the brotherhood.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

Jim wrote:Well done. I took the liberty of quoting you to some of the troops in the pipeline.
Remember and live the Ranger Creed...
Best advice you could give anybody..
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
Grim666
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Grim666 »

Thank you Ranger Steadfast, Ranger CharlieRanger1FFV, and Ranger The Sleepy Doc. It is truly a honor to have earned the title Ranger. It holds new meaning after enduring the process to get here.
Graduated RASP Class 09-12
Successful Mentee to Ranger The Sleepy Doc
75th Ranger Regiment, RSTB 2013 - 2016
528th SOSB, SOMEDD 2016 - ????
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Ranger Grim666, now the tough part begins. God, how I envy your youth! Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Grim666
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Grim666 »

Another sitrep. So far after graduating RASP I life has been interesting and fast paced. The first few days while they were figuring out where to stick us was no fun. We moved around just a bit. We finally had a home and could get started on our clinic time (which is technically a college class) with daily lessons by fire from the Major who runs the clinic, nightly homework, and weekly hands on exam tests and written tests. And every patient you have contact with in the clinic is a graded SOAP note. Once we finally got the hang of that and how to work our schedules we now start the other college classes. A and P that is normally a 16 weeks class condensed into 6 weeks. We go 3 days a week, 2 to lecture and 1 for lab. In addition we are also enrolled in a Medical Terminology and Ethics online class. We have not been able to log into the online part yet but already have a test next week. So things will really pick up for the next 6 weeks during which time you must prove yourself and earn your slot in SOCM. Your time for PT is some in the morning or you make it. I have had the privilege (due to me sucking at running) to workout with the SSgt here who really kicks your ass. I say privilege because he has taught me a lot that I just did not know ahead of time about working out and how to push myself past my limits. So while other guys do their thing I am getting my ass kicked to better myself and it has significantly improved me. But I digress, the key here is time management. You can't go have all the fun you want on the weekends and drink and party. Have to keep your nose in the books and keep your thirst for knowledge. The Major knows who is studying and who is not. This is not based on grades alone he just knows. I was lucky to have prepared myself well for what was to come by using this site for information about the program and to reach out to others who were already in the pipeline. I was as prepared as one can be walking in that door and it has served me well as can be shown by my grades and some of the trust I have earned from my peers. It is a long and difficult road but you will ultimately be much better off. You come out a great clinician and a great medic.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Jim wrote:Ranger Grim666, now the tough part begins. God, how I envy your youth! Never, never quit!
Let me say it again, Grim666, you have come so far in so short a time. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Stoicism
Inprocessing

Post by Stoicism »

If you can make it through pre-SOCM, than SOCM is a breeze....I've been in your shoes and know exactly WHO and WHAT you're dealing with. I'll see you out here in a few months bro. Parade rest to cadre and know the Ranger creed...or you.will.get.fucked.
Mentor: Joseph Pretty Deep Water
Homeless Ranger (SOCM)
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

It is a long and difficult road but you will ultimately be much better off. You come out a great clinician and a great medic...
Ahhh, Grasshopper! You have learned much, but cannot leave the temple yet...
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

Grim666
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Grim666 »

Well just a little update. We only have a week and a half left of classes. Yes we condense a full semester A&P class with lab into 6 weeks. We have 7 tests within those 6 weeks. During that time you have 2 additional online medical terminology classes as well. This is in addition to the time that you are in the clinic performing daily sick call and physicals. During clinic time you have homework, physical exam tests, and written test on the various aspects of clinic duties. There is a lot of work however, doable. You need to have good time management and the desire to succeed. That desire has to outweigh your other desires such as going to the bars and out on the weekends if you truly want to succeed to the Ranger standard. You have to be focused on what you want. It is not easy but you can complete it. You must maintain at least an 80 in each class as well. Below an 80 is considered failing. In between you must maintain your PT and complete the many other tasks assigned to you. However, being here I feel very good about the preparation I am getting to move on to SOCM which is why Rangers have one of the if not the best pass rate in SOCM. Not to mention the great knowledge you get to treat your men once you have graduated. If there are others who wish to pursue this path of becoming a Medic in the Regiment and have questions please let me know. If it is not already answered I will be happy to instill whatever small amount of knowledge I have.

Grim
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Good SITREP! Keep up the good work and never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Ndog275
Ranger

Post by Ndog275 »

Keep it up Ranger.
A 1/75 93-97
B&HHC 2/75 97-99
RS 3,4&5-95

This mighty soldier on the eve of the war he waged
Told his troops of lessons learned from battles fought.
"May your heart grow bolder like an iron-clad brigade"
Said this leader to his outnumbered lot.

www.75thrra.com
www.tacticaltailor.com
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

Sounds like our guy is kicking ass & taking names (and then patching up he guy's ass he just kicked :wink: )

For the record, the Distinguished Honor Grad of the first SOCM class was a dude from 3rd Batt..

Just sayin'
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

Grim666
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Grim666 »

OK moving on to the next step. I am officially at SOCM now. We in-process to Ft. Bragg and the schoolhouse this week. Then we officially start class next week. Graduated Pre-SOCM with A's in every class. That was a great accomplishment for me. Looking forward to continuing my education and training. It is great to be back with my family as well after a year. Can't wait to start!!!

Return to “Letters from School”