Despite Crash, Ties Strong Between SOF, Conventional Aviatio

News posted by members of this site. If you want to publish your own article or have something of value for the front page please indicate it as such.
Before posting make sure it hasn't already been posted. Write a concise and pertinent intro if you are going to post here.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
Check for duplicates before posting, otherwise post it in the original thread. If you want to post an article of your own or find it significant for the front page please let us know. Rangers Lead the Way
Chiron
Ranger

Despite Crash, Ties Strong Between SOF, Conventional Aviatio

Post by Chiron »

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- The call came over the radio -- a U.S. Army Ranger unit needed support after one of the thousands of night raids U.S. special operations forces have executed over the past 10 years in Afghanistan.

An elite Navy SEAL team loaded onto a CH-47 Chinook to fly to the target. Like many other nights, pilots assigned to the 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment, the one dedicated to Joint Special Operations Command, did not fly the mission.

But unlike most nights, a rocket-propelled grenade slammed into the Chinook on Aug. 6, sending it crashing to the ground and killing everyone aboard: Eight Afghan commandos and 30 U.S. troops, including the 17 SEALs. It marked the deadliest day in U.S. Special Operations Command's 24-year history.

FULL STORY
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
U.S. Army 1980-1984 and 1987-1990
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton
Baseplate
Ranger

Re: Despite Crash, Ties Strong Between SOF, Conventional Avi

Post by Baseplate »

Even if a bird kills everyone here and there it still beats walking
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

Baseplate wrote:Even if a bird kills everyone here and there it still beats walking
And by not walking you can sleep longer before it's time to go....
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
U.S. Army 1980-1984 and 1987-1990
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton
hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by hobbit »

Using chinooks for special ops insertions (and at night no less), is borderlne criminal. I have photos I took of chinooks flying 155mm artillery pieces to an American FB...in 1970. Even then this aircraft was OLD.
L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. -Albert Einstein
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

hobbit wrote:Using chinooks for special ops insertions (and at night no less), is borderlne criminal. I have photos I took of chinooks flying 155mm artillery pieces to an American FB...in 1970. Even then this aircraft was OLD.

Brother, agreed the design has been around forever. Hell the Marines fly a bird similar.

However, the current models are upgraded and provide an ability to deliver troops at high altitudes in AFG. Here in Washington state we have people get stuck on MT Ranier, and the only way to get a rescue to them is the USAR Chinook unit on FT Lewis.

The Osprey has killed more Marines in its time of service than any other airframe in the same time frame.

Anyone remember the MH-53J PaveLow? SOCOM specific bird retired because it tried to do all the jobs that the Chinook and the Blackhawk did. Didn't do either job well.

Tough
Rangertough
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
C CO/HHC 2/75 '93-97, Bragg '97-'99, HHC/C CO/A CO 2/75 99'-'01 RS 8-94.
CloakAndDagger
US Army Veteran

Post by CloakAndDagger »

The basic design of the H-47 might be old, but the airframes aren't neccessarily old--the assembly line still occasionally runs. I've also heard that the Vietnam-era issues of them leaking hydrolic fluid like a sive have largely been eliminated. The avionics in the current birds are also (relatively) new.

The bird is a big, strong, tough, reliable, and flies high (for a helicopter), but it's also a big slow target. The H-53, on the other hand, is big, strong, cranky, unreliable, but could fly high; it has a frequent tendency to crash without being shot up. During my tour in A-stan in April-September 2002 --if I recall correctly (my memory is a bit rough on this... I'm remembering occasions, not research)-- I wanna say we lost 3 or 4 -53's, no -47's (I got there just after Op Anaconda finished up), maybe one -60, and one or two -64's (we also lost a C-130).
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

hobbit wrote:Using chinooks for special ops insertions (and at night no less), is borderlne criminal. I have photos I took of chinooks flying 155mm artillery pieces to an American FB...in 1970. Even then this aircraft was OLD.
There was aa Chinook unit in Viet-Nam that mounted a 105mm in the rear of the bird (same gun that is still used on the AC-130). The unit was nicknamed "Guns a-go-go." The initial Chinooks were fielded in 1960, and one of the prototype birds is still flying.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by hobbit »

Jim wrote:
There was aa Chinook unit in Viet-Nam that mounted a 105mm in the rear of the bird (same gun that is still used on the AC-130). The unit was nicknamed "Guns a-go-go." The initial Chinooks were fielded in 1960, and one of the prototype birds is still flying.
A 105? For what reason? To battle with nonexistant communist armor south of the DMZ? I think the first time American aircraft encounterered communist armor was during Lam Son 719. A lot of L Company teams pulled missions up in that area previous to the battle. We never encountered NVA tanks but that doesn't mean they weren't there. Most of the aviation support for the battle was provided by the 101st. We took a bloody nose there.
L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. -Albert Einstein
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by hobbit »

Jim wrote:Check out the ACH-47A:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CH-47_Chinook
It's been a war horse who's earned its oats, no argument there.
L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

Return to “The News Dump”