Introduction - Nathan

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

MudRucker
Future Soldier

Introduction - Nathan

Post by MudRucker »

Hello Rangers and fellow DEPs. My name is Nathan, I'm 29, and I ship on the 17th 11x. I was not able to secure an Opt 40 due to the military not approving of my "Charter" HS diploma forcing me to get a GED. My ASVAB score(manly my GT score) is up to standard for recruitment into the Regiment.
The main reason I signed without going back to gain a standardized HS diploma was my age. After months researching my options and stumbling upon sites like this one, I have learned about the differences between "big Army" and highly motivated individuals.

The only pre-quals I have for recruitment would be my 10 years as a fighter. The mental conditioning gained through that experience is probably the only thing that will prepare me for the hardships ahead. Pro fighting is not combat, I understand that and do not compare the two.
The fitness required to hurt someone for 5 rounds is nothing like Army PT so I still need ten more push-ups and one minute less on my run to get a 300 APFT(PUs performed to standard with chest to ground and fully locked elbows).

Rangers, thank you for the knowledge available on this and other resources. I have lurked in the shadows of this forum for a couple months and thought it wise to make a formal intro before I ship. My buddy that just graduated OSUT gave me a SITREP of his 11x experience. Main take-aways would be:
1) His whole company was put in 11c while in reception.
2) His last APFT was 287 and was offered a spot in RASP. He gave the spot to a fellow battle buddy that wanted it more than him. Good man.
3) He recommended learning the Ranger's Creed prior to ship.
Ship date - 20120117 Ft Benning 11x OSUT
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Introduction - Nathan

Post by Steadfast »

Welcome Nathan, the die is cast?

Did you at least try to get an Opt 4 for Airborne training?

Good luck - Read much of what Ranger goon 175 wrote in the recruitment forums.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
MudRucker
Future Soldier

Post by MudRucker »

Ranger Steadfast, I went to MEPS a few times to speak with the liaison and sat on hold with ROC for hours with no success. The excuse is that I signed at the end of the fiscal year 2011 when all Opt4/40 were taken.
I am not deterred and possibly more motivated having to earn my spot "the old way". I have no experience with active Army life so dealing with the cards I'm dealt will be sufficient for the time being, as my wife and I adapt.

Rangers, thanks for the welcome and well wishes to us DEPs, your efforts on this site are much appreciated.
Ship date - 20120117 Ft Benning 11x OSUT
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site, Nathan.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776