Term of Service

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
NoMoreRegrets
Tadpole

Term of Service

Post by NoMoreRegrets »

I've been discussing the length of service with my recruiter and also taking into account the admonitions that I have seen on this board that if I desire anything beyond being a private that I need to go at least 4 years. However, I'm wondering about how re-enlistment might work, especially for one at a Ranger battalion. If I were to only enlist for 3 years and towards the end of the term decided I wanted to stay in for another year (or two even), could I stay in the same unit? Thanks in advance for any assistance in grappling with this important decision.
NoMoreRegrets
- better late than never.
Bell

Post by Bell »

If you were to enlist for three years, you can reenlist and stay in your current unit. In fact, a lot of three year Rangers are reenlisting for the Ranger Regiment so they can go to RS.

If you're going to make the military your career, then sign for 4 or more. Slots for schools and promotions will be affected by how much time you have left in the service.

RLTW
Bell
NoMoreRegrets
Tadpole

Post by NoMoreRegrets »

Bell wrote:Slots for schools and promotions will be affected by how much time you have left in the service.
Thanks for the advice Ranger Bell. I don't think I will make it a permanent career as I think that would be asking too much of my wife and family, however, I do want to accomplish as much as possible during my term of service. I would most certainly like to be an NCO. Could you (or anybody else, for that matter) direct me to where I can research various schools that would be available, and learn the "time left" requirements for those schools and for promotions as well. I'll do the research - but if anybody can point me in a direction it would be much appreciated.

Also, as a follow-up Ranger Bell, could I reenlist at any time during the service, or is there a certain window of opportunity? For example, if there were a school or promo that I wanted to attain but it required 1 year of service, but I only had, say, 9 months - could I then go ahead and re-up then and there for another year so that I would have the sufficient amount of time remaining? Thanks again...
NoMoreRegrets
- better late than never.
Parabellum
Ranger

Post by Parabellum »

Most schools like Jump Master, Pathfinder, Sniper and Ranger require that you have at least 6 months left in the Army when you complete the course. The Special Warfare schools require 1 year left in service to attend. Most likely in 4 years you will get just Ranger maybe Jump Master. The Specialty schools will be given only upon reenlistment. Serving in Regiment now days you don't have much time for that shit. Regiment isn't going to send you to Pathfinder with just 7 months left in the Army. 99% of the guys that get the other courses are career oriented. First thing is first though, don't worry about all that shit now just worry about making it through RIP. Hope this helps.
"We spoke to them in the only language they understood - the machine gun."

HHC 1/75 Oct 98-Mar 99
B co 1/75 Mar 99-Apr 04
ROC RSTB RIP/PRC Cadre Apr 04-May 06
A co 1/75 May 06-Jul 08
HHC 1/75 Jul 08-Mar 09

RS 3-99
LowCrawler
Tadpole

Post by LowCrawler »

My father made E-5 in just over 3 years, as part of a four year tour.
He was on the list for pathfinder school, when Desert Storm 1 broke out and the instructors left for war(?) He got lots done with a four year enlistment.

maybe that helps.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
-Edmund Burke

"We make war that we may have peace"
-Aristotle

"A post a day keeps the smoke away"
-Doc
Parabellum
Ranger

Post by Parabellum »

LowCrawler wrote:My father made E-5 in just over 3 years, as part of a four year tour.
He was on the list for pathfinder school, when Desert Storm 1 broke out and the instructors left for war(?) He got lots done with a four year enlistment.

maybe that helps.
THANKS FOR THE HELP BUD! NOW SHUT YOUR COCK GARAGE! :twisted:

HHC 1/75 Oct 98-Mar 99
B co 1/75 Mar 99-Apr 04
A co 1/75 May 06-Jul 08
HHC 1/75 Jul 08-Mar 09

RS 3-99
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

H8 Train wrote:
LowCrawler wrote:My father made E-5 in just over 3 years, as part of a four year tour.

maybe that helps.
THANKS FOR THE HELP BUD! NOW SHUT YOUR COCK GARAGE! :twisted:
another turd with the knowledge about shit he's never done, Ranger H8.

thumbs down.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
Parabellum
Ranger

Post by Parabellum »

Yeah no shit brother. :roll:

HHC 1/75 Oct 98-Mar 99
B co 1/75 Mar 99-Apr 04
A co 1/75 May 06-Jul 08
HHC 1/75 Jul 08-Mar 09

RS 3-99
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Post by Disinfertention »

There is a window. It opens up when you have a year left on your contract. At that point you can reup for 2 to 6 years. So if you were to come in on a 3 year contract, like myself, when you are a year out you can reup for 2 and be out on the equivilent of a 4 year.

Kinda see how it works a little better? It's not so much of how much time you have, but how much effort you put in. I fully intend to be an E-5 by the time my window of reenlistment opens.

As far as getting as much done as possible on your time in... If you come to the Regiment, the only school you give a shit to go to and will be allowed to go to is Ranger school. Once you get back for that, you might get something else. But what the hell would you want any other school for? A Tan Berret, two scrolls, a tab, and three stripes on your collar.... what more could one ask for in three to four years?
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04

Return to “Recruitment Process”