Introduction Able

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

Able
Egg

Introduction Able

Post by Able »

hello Rangers, Soldiers, DEPers, and fellow future soldiers.

I would first like to say how proud i am for all of you for serving/wanting to serve this great country of ours, while others may take it for granted.

ok, so here is a little background information about myself. I have been a military brat my entire life (my father served in the army for 25 years) and i was born in Ft.Benning while we were stationed several places later before my father retired. During high school i really 'let myself go' and got up to 350lbs while playing football and no really caring about my future. During my senior year, i dropped out and took time away from everything to figure out my life.

I found myself playing video games('MAG', for those of you who might be interested) LITERALLY non-stop for days at a time (this is about 3months after i dropped out), then my father had several long discussions with me about what i was going to do with my life and my future, stupid me had pretty much forgotten all about my life since i was in a giant depressed hole. i had no accomplishments to call my own, and i really didn't want to be some washed up 30year old bragging about his high school football days (have you ever watched 'Friday Night Lights' the movie?...), so i asked one of my 'friends' who i knew through playing video games if he could send me a copy of p90x so i could lose weight and do something with my life (yea i paid him) after about 6months of continuously working out (p90x, running, muay thai) i lost a total of 100lbs, but i knew i still had not gotten to my goal for joining the army.

I continued to workout (p90x, running 3miles a day, and a work out plan made by my father) and then i got down to 210lbs (current weight) my life had literally made a 180 degree turn for the better, i could run 6miles without stopping and doing so many things i never would have thought i could accomplish, i finally made up my mind to become a U.S. Army Ranger when i talked to my father and a local army recruiter SSG.C (just rank an initial to protect identity right?). I later decided myself that if i was going to join the army i would try to 'Be All I Can Be', i started talking more with my father about how exactly to become a ranger (special forces/green beret) and what i should expect when i actually get there.

And here is where all my 'knowledge' training gets started, as i said before my father was a Drill Sergeant, he was also a ROTC instuctor for a certain ivy league college and more recently a HS JROTC teacher. he has begun to teach me alot (i do mean alot, creeds, acronyms, map reading, drill, marching, etc... even basic of the basics i have remembered by heart) about the army and the things should know to excel above the rest so that i could become the best i could be.

so currently i am attending an adult school to finish earning my high school diploma (about 10 weeks i will obtain it). im working out harder then ever right now:
-Push ups: 80 (50 non-stop)
-Sit ups: 100+ (all non-stop)
-2miles run: 15min (i have not timed a sprinting 2mile, that is just my normal 2mile run)
-pull ups: 6 (i still have some trouble on these since they are awkward for me, but im trying to get to 20 before basic)
also i am doing rucking to help me get more accustomed to carrying 'heavy' weight on my back for miles at a time, i packed a 40-50lb rucksack and fast walked/marched about 3miles in 20 (ish) minutes.

lastly, here is why i have signed up on this community/message board/rangers den :). i would like all the information i can find to help improve my knowledge of the army and the rangers, since it would be easier to remember stuff available on the internet.

also, if i could message some one for more 'personal' information that would be greatly appreciated.
(sorry if i wrote too much)
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Introduction Able

Post by Steadfast »

Welcome, seems you're headed in the right direction.

For personal information - use the search feature - Head on down to
Recruiters and Schools - Q&A & read everything.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site, Able.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Welcome...
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Able
Egg

Post by Able »

Thank you Ranger Jim, Ranger charlie, and Ranger steadfast.
Warchief
Ranger

Post by Warchief »

Welcome to the site. Good Luck achieving your goal. Don't ever quit.
Ranger Class 10-82
ODAs 236, 233, 232/065, 10th SFGA
ODAs 545, 565, 5th SFGA
Able
Egg

Post by Able »

SITREP:

i competed Geometry and English advanced composite at the adult school with 85+% in both classes, all i have now is Civics and some elective credits. so i expect to be done with attaining my Diploma in about 2-3 more months. I have been studying map reading more, and it has become basic knowledge to me (coordinates, azimuths, resections, etc). now i am reading the 'infantry rifle platoon and squad' handbook my dad gave to me.

physically i am doing intense workouts everyday, starting with a 2-5mile run followed with a 6mile ruck march. the later in the afternoon i do a brief elastic band workout to warm my body up then 4-5pm i do iron weight workout. i have also increased pull ups from 6 to 9 pull ups.

also some questions i could not find answers to after looking around the website.
-is the extended APFT scale and official scale to be counted toward the APFT test?
-throughout RASP what ruck weight should people expect to carry?
-while i am not in the army yet i am training for the ruck marches, should i focus on heavier ruck weight, greater distance, or both?

sorry rangers for my ignorance and stupidity, but i would greatly appreciate if you could answer these for me.
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

2 excerpts of what you said:
i competed Geometry and English advanced composite at the adult school with 85+% in both classes,
sorry rangers for
Advanced English? but you do not know how to capitalize the "r' in Ranger nor the (personal) "i" but for 5 or 6 times in two posts here.

I see you also called one of our Ranger's, Ranger charlie.
That is an insult not to be called by his name - is this some sort of laziness on your part? Or is it because you think you are being friendlier by cutting it short? We are not your friends nor your pals.
His name is Ranger CharlieRanger1FFV - no one gave you permission to shorten the name he earned in service to our country.
also, if i could message some one for more 'personal' information that would be greatly appreciated.
It is your job on our site to use the search function and to read everything on here - it is not up to us to point out this information to you. Do you honestly believe you are the first one here to ask for information?

I do not want an apology. I want you to demonstrate in future posts you understand what was said here.

You did a good thing getting back in shape, now it is time for you to do the same to your mind - make it work to get your infomation you seek by doing your own leg work and investigate this site.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Able
Egg

Post by Able »

Understood Ranger Steadfast. I do not know what I was thinking when I made those mistakes, I assure you it will never happen again.

I also understand that I do have to do the footwork to find the information I am looking for, but I could not find answers for the three questions I stated in my second post while reading and searching this website, or any website Ranger Steadfast.

Return to “Introduction Archive”