Will Scoliosis/Asthma affect my eligibility to join the Army

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
Chuiy

Will Scoliosis/Asthma affect my eligibility to join the Army

Post by Chuiy »

Hey guys, I know a variation of this question has been asked more than most of you would like to know, but heres my predicament, I have Asthma AND scoliosis. My scoliosis is minor, and its never bothered me one bit. However my asthma is well under control with an inhaler, and I can compete with my teamates in soccer, and in football (Im a kicker for my highschool team, but the training is hard) however without my inhaler I notice asthma symptoms, but I still believe I can pass basic without my inhaler. Will I be able to join the military with a combination of asthma and scoliosis even though their both only minor hinderances. And more importantly, will I be eligable for ranger school? I've heard of some people being denied for knee issues, but I have nothing like that which would render me unable to keep up, I can run 8 miles like nothing which I believe would go to show my setbacks are only minor.

Thanks if anyone can offer some advice!
Baseplate
Ranger

Re: Will Scoliosis/Asthma affect my eligibility to join the

Post by Baseplate »

I would give it a 98% chance that you are boned as far as joining the army is concerned. 100% if you still use a inhaler
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

"Hey guys" isn't the form to use on this site.

I don't know anything about scoliosis but your asthma is keeping you out of the army. Asthma is non-waiverable.
However, the final word belongs to a recruiter, just don't get your hopes up.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

Yeah thats a big no go.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
Chuiy

Post by Chuiy »

If "Hey guys" Isnt the correct form to use, then Id appreciate you correcting me, and not just telling me what I cannot use. Please and thank you, sir. Also, I understand alot of you would have had me rather use the search button, but i know asthma is waiverable if I can show decent pulimnary lung function and I havent used my inhaler since 13. I am 15 and still using it, but ONLY precautionary and I havent had an attack since I was 2, and when I use my inhaler, I rarely notice a difference unless its a blizzard outside, then it acts up. But I will most likely just say I havent used it since I was 13. Anyways, the general idea of this question wasnt to find out if asthma would keep me of track, because I know it can be bypassed, but will BOTH ailments combined affect me?
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

You are 15, thus too young to post on this site. One of the mods will be along to take care of you and your attitude.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Chuiy wrote:If "Hey guys" Isnt the correct form to use, then Id appreciate you correcting me, and not just telling me what I cannot use.
Or you can read the site FAQ and SOPs like you always should when you enter new turf. Rangers use initiative and are resourceful. As you are fifteen, you have time to get over the "please take my hand" and figure out how to take care of yourself.

The asthma question is OK, provided you did a search first - it was discussed in depth just a couple days before you appeared in this very forum.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

Seeing how you are 15, you won't be able to post a reply to this and should be in the "read only" mode before long. If not, so be it. Either way, I will give you some well needed advice.

There is a reason some medical conditions are non-waiverable. You may not be bothered by your asthma unless you are in blizzard conditions, but guess what, you will be expected to be able to fight in blizzard conditions if needed. I don't think you understand, but asthma can kill you. It is not to be trifled with. If there is any possibility you may need a rescue inhaler under stressful conditions, I for one, would not grant you a waiver. Lucky for you that is not my decision. Also, if you were to get a waiver for enlistment, know this: The MD at MEPS who would give you a waiver has absolutely nothing to say about whether you would be medically cleared for service in a Ranger Batt. That is entirely the decision of the Battalion Surgeon. Not having been there for over ten years, I can still tell you with 100% certainty that any B-SURG will tell you no. Period. end.

As far as proper conduct for the site, You are very fortunate this isn't the ArmyRanger.com of old. You would have (and still may be..) attacked from all sides for your apparent insolence. This can be chalked up to your relative immaturity, but you need to fix it double quick. There is a reason for everything here. Using proper titles and etiquette is very necessary for your survival in the military, let alone in a Ranger Batt. Military courtesies are taken to a level that nobody else reaches, save the service academies. You will have a very big chest and arms from many push ups if you do not comply. It has a secondary benefit of teaching attention to detail. Thirdly, the men on this site had served their time with honor and distinction, some before you were even born. They have earned the privilege of being shown at least a modicum of respect. Your last post had more the tone of sarcasm and annoyance from a spoiled kid.

Use the search feature, for it is your friend. This subject has been covered ad-nauseam, and you will find a wealth of info here. The question on your mind should not be "if" you can get a waiver, but "should" you get a waiver.

If you cannot join the military, there are many other ways you can serve you community and country. I have found the Fire Department to be every bit as rewarding, prestigious, and physically tough as military service. Something to think about.
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Chuiy wrote:If "Hey guys" Isnt the correct form to use, then Id appreciate you correcting me, and not just telling me what I cannot use. Please and thank you, sir. Also, I understand alot of you would have had me rather use the search button, but i know asthma is waiverable if I can show decent pulimnary lung function and I havent used my inhaler since 13. I am 15 and still using it, but ONLY precautionary and I havent had an attack since I was 2, and when I use my inhaler, I rarely notice a difference unless its a blizzard outside, then it acts up. But I will most likely just say I havent used it since I was 13. Anyways, the general idea of this question wasnt to find out if asthma would keep me of track, because I know it can be bypassed, but will BOTH ailments combined affect me?
This wonderful little child has been deactivated for lying to us in his introduction saying he was 16.
Don't come back to this site Chuiy until you are already a U.S. Army Ranger.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4

Return to “Recruitment Process”