Comrades question Iraq vet’s memoir, memories

News posted by members of this site. If you want to publish your own article or have something of value for the front page please indicate it as such.
Before posting make sure it hasn't already been posted. Write a concise and pertinent intro if you are going to post here.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
Check for duplicates before posting, otherwise post it in the original thread. If you want to post an article of your own or find it significant for the front page please let us know. Rangers Lead the Way
C-MAC
USAF Veteran

Comrades question Iraq vet’s memoir, memories

Post by C-MAC »

I didn't see this posted and apologies if it was.

Pull quote;
Comrades have questioned how a man with the physical injuries Montalvan claimed could return to duty so soon, come back for a second tour and then apply for the elite Ranger course at Fort Benning. In his book, Montalvan said he would “self-medicate” with alcohol and “Ranger Candy” — ibuprofen.
READ MORE
If you want to be successful at anything, you'll need to develop a never quit attitude. Don't let life happen to you. Grab it by the throat and make life dance to your tune.
Ranger KW Driver
Baseplate
Ranger

Re: Comrades question Iraq vet’s memoir, memories

Post by Baseplate »

Just one more asshole who needs to be kicked in the taint
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
CatFish Driver
Ranger

Post by CatFish Driver »

I went to airborne school with this douchebag. Concure with Baseplate 110%
Ranger School Class 08-02

"Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice, moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
--Senator Barry Goldwater
Lefty
Rest In Peace | Ranger Advisor BDQ

Post by Lefty »

Judging from the history of VN posers, I have a hunch this is just an early entry in a long line of OIF, OEF, etc. posers and wannabes coming down the pike for the next 30 or more years.
RLTW
Lefty
SFOC 1969
6th SFG(A) 69-70
Ranger Class 13-70
MACV Tm 21 70-71 (2nd ARVN Ranger Gp 23d
BN)
2/13 Armor 1st Cav 71-72

"Experience teaches a dear school, but fools will learn in no other, and some scarce in that"
C-MAC
USAF Veteran

Post by C-MAC »

You will have to forgive me, but I just don't get this. In some respects it is worse than a guy simply all-out pretending.

You were there. You served. You did the job. Whatever happens, nobody can take that part away from you. Who cares what you did? So you weren't some super-hero, ass-on-fire, red-eyed killer who went through experiences with a pucker factor of a nanometer. Why not count your blessings? What? All for a good story?

Why the heck would you want to lie about what happened? Why not just count yourself lucky and tell folks- "I did my part". It takes away from everything you legitimately contributed.

Just my two cents.
If you want to be successful at anything, you'll need to develop a never quit attitude. Don't let life happen to you. Grab it by the throat and make life dance to your tune.
Ranger KW Driver
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

What's worse is that his exaggerations are going to overshadow the good work he was trying to do, helping returning soldiers deal with their demons.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
Buzz
Ranger

Post by Buzz »

C-MAC wrote:Why the heck would you want to lie about what happened?
Because if he did not lie about it he would not be eligible for VA benifits.
2nd squad-1st plt-C 2/75 77-78
RS 4-78

The way I became a Ranger and have earned the small amount of success I have had in life has been mostly due to one quality - determination. Lefty.
C-MAC
USAF Veteran

Post by C-MAC »

Buzz wrote:
C-MAC wrote:Why the heck would you want to lie about what happened?
Because if he did not lie about it he would not be eligible for VA benifits.
So steal from your brothers who need it more- to enrich yourself?

There are few things more dishonorable than that.
Ranger KW Driver
C-MAC
USAF Veteran

Post by C-MAC »

By the way, I am guessing he never became a Ranger?

Here is his bio, mostly in 3rd ACR.

http://www.luiscarlosmontalvan.com/about.html
Ranger KW Driver
al_2ndWolfhounds
Ranger

Post by al_2ndWolfhounds »

This guy reminds me of our Bn Commo Officer in Vietnam who put himself in for a Purple Heart for a scraped knee he received when he slipped and fell during a rocket attack on Cu Chi, nearest rocket hit was over 300 meters from his location. The Bn CO had him visit the 12th Evac Hospital patient wards and then asked him how he could justify deserving an award of the PH. He couldn't and did not get the PH.
RLTW

Active service 01/67-12/73
Ranger Class 10-68
2/27 Inf 25th Inf Div Vietnam 01/69-01/70

"In America, anybody can be president. That's one of the risks you take." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
“The enemy is anybody who’s going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.” – Joseph Heller, Catch-22
C-MAC
USAF Veteran

Post by C-MAC »

I have two relatives, one from each side of the family that received a PH in Vietnam. One in Quang-Tin 69' and the other in Quang-Nam in 68'.

Neither one of them made it back or lasted a year in country. So an attempt to gain that award, without merit, is a little personal for me.
Ranger KW Driver

Return to “The News Dump”