SITREP - Mata Leao

Commo from our members who are in OSUT, Jump School, RIP, Ranger School, etc.
Mata Leao
Inprocessing

SITREP - Mata Leao

Post by Mata Leao »

Rangers,

Greetings! On 36hr pass now, enjoying my time away before I go back for my cross rifles. NoLimits71 has been in my platoon for the cycle, he's had an ongoing injury and hasnt been training but he's been a great friend and battle buddy. I was grateful to find someone familiar to talk to while in Basic. PT has been a breeze so far, my first test was a 297, but all since have been 300+. My last test scores were 97pushups 88 situps and 12:45 on my 2mile. My run and pushups have gone down since being here but I'm still doing my best to get over a 300 each tests. I'm looking forward to more freedom in Airborne so I can PT on a higher level again. Ruck marches have also been easy, the pace hovers between 15 and 18 minutes and less than 65lbs, it's a pretty easy walk compared to the prep work before coming here. The hardest part so far has been dealing with the younger guys and the high level of immaturity.

I had the honor of being PG throughout White Phase, it was definitely an experience. I enjoyed being held to a higher standard and making sure my platoon was squared away every day. I admittedly enjoyed being relieved for a change of leadership during the start of Blue Phase. The lack of discipline and outright buddyf*cking that goes on by the other trainees can really get out of hand with minimal to no accountability being maintained. I learned quite a bit about leadership in my three weeks time though and that was worth all of the lost sleep and frustration I endured. I also only qualified as a marksman during white, but I improved and shot better during the combat qual which included dumbies. I'd never fired a weapon prior to training and didn't know what to expect but I'm confident with more time on the weapons I'll reach Expert soon.

The countdown till Graduation begins when I head back tonight. I will post another SITREP as soon as I'm able to again. Thank you again, Rangers, for all you've done and the time you put into the forum. Special thanks to Ranger Hakweergr, I'm far ahead of the curve! Time to drive on towards Graduation.

Never Quit!
-Mata leao
Ship date: 20110418
Mentor: Hakweergr

Failure to prepare is preparing to fail!
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Re: SITREP - Mata Leao

Post by K.Ingraham »

Looking good so far.
Now you understand why you need to make it all the way through. Never quit!
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
Ndog275
Ranger

Post by Ndog275 »

Keep it up, don't quit.
A 1/75 93-97
B&HHC 2/75 97-99
RS 3,4&5-95

This mighty soldier on the eve of the war he waged
Told his troops of lessons learned from battles fought.
"May your heart grow bolder like an iron-clad brigade"
Said this leader to his outnumbered lot.

www.75thrra.com
www.tacticaltailor.com
Mata Leao
Inprocessing

Post by Mata Leao »

Rangers,

OSUT has come to an end! I ended up being PG again from FTX till Graduation, the second time around was much easier. My Drill Sergeants let me plan our final patrol/raid/assault. It was awesome, by far the best time I've had in OSUT. I came in 2nd for the PT award, my final scores were 101 push ups, 88 sit ups, and a 12:40 2miler. I was disappointed but I did my best and never quit so I don't feel too bad. I also had the honor of carrying the guidon during Turning Blue and Graduation on Friday, it was excellent to stand out front with the Captain and First Sergeant. The last 14 weeks have been boring at times, and frustrating at others, but they were all worth it. I've moved to Airborne hold where I'll be for apx. 4 weeks from what I've heard then onto Airborne school. I'm less than enthusiastic about an extended hold, but I'll make sure to stay motivated with my pt and studying so I can stay sharp for when it matters most. I'd never have imagined it 14 weeks ago, but now that most of them are gone, I miss my battle buddies. Eagerly awaiting the next target to pop up. Thank you again, Rangers.

Never Quit!
Mata Leao

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Excellent SITREP; great accomplishment. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Ndog275
Ranger

Post by Ndog275 »

Good job so far, keep up the intensity and don't quit.
A 1/75 93-97
B&HHC 2/75 97-99
RS 3,4&5-95

www.75thrra.com
www.tacticaltailor.com
Mata Leao
Inprocessing

Post by Mata Leao »

Rangers,

I am proud to say I earned my wings last Friday. I had the opportunity to jump first from a C-17 on one of my jumps, it was by far one of the highlights of my life thus far. It was a perfect jump, even down to the landing! I wasn't a fan of the Airborne skits ::slap:: "behold the 34ft tower!!", but they provided my battles and I with a lot of good joke fodder. The PT was weak and we had the misfortune of having two 4 day weeks forcing even longer than usual days and limiting pt time on our own. My PT has suffered a bit, but I'm still where I need to be for my APFTs. Fortunately, today was the first day of 'pre-RASP' and we already had five people quit. It was pathetic. Seeing those guys quit made me a bit angry, there were a lot of guys who deserved to be here that aren't because others were given contracts instead. I'm as motivated as ever though and excited to be around the men I want to join. The DFAC alone makes me want to never leave. We have an APFT coming up and then RASP preparation PT until RASP begins. I've heard we will be rucking at least once a week ontop of hard Ranger lead PT. I'm looking forward to getting started and being even stronger once RASP begins. Now to get my locker squared away and in bed so I can PT my @** off tomorrow morning. Still doing my best to lead from the front!

- Mata Leao

goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

haha yeah those 3/75 guys know how to make a chow hall! good job so far, take advantage of the good PT while in Pre-RASP and RASP, it might get you ready for life in Regiment!
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

ZoneIV wrote:Yeah.....I thought the SGT Blackhat theatrics were a bit silly and over-the-top almost 30 years ago. Good SITREP. Keep up the good work.
As they were 45+ years ago.
Good SITREP. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

ZoneIV wrote:almost 30 years ago.
:lol: these kids nowadays, I swear..
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
Ndog275
Ranger

Post by Ndog275 »

Good job stud. Keep up the good work!
A 1/75 93-97
B&HHC 2/75 97-99
RS 3,4&5-95

www.75thrra.com
www.tacticaltailor.com
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

use the quitters' weakness as fuel. feed the hate and drive on.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
Mata Leao
Inprocessing

Post by Mata Leao »

Rangers!

I take great pride in being able to finally tell you all that I have graduated with class 01-12! I received my scroll and donned my beret for the first time on Friday. It has been a long journey, but I can count these last eight months as some of the best of my life. I saw how close the Rangers on the forum were prior to entering the Army and now I understand why, I can count my Ranger buddies as some of the best friends and men I have ever known. I'm already sad to see some of them go as they ship to their respective battalions. The entire process has taught me more about being a soldier and a man than I'd expected, but I am grateful for all of it, it's been extremely humbling. There isn't much I can say about the course but you all know the drill, "hit the woodline!!" etc. and then the fun stuff which I'd do over again in a heart beat. Every day taught me more than the day before. It's absolutely true that you have to earn every day in the organization and continually prove yourself, RASP was just the beginning to see if you might have what it takes. Now I'm waiting to out processes and get to my battalion, proud to be going to the Pacific Northwest! Also, I finished the class with a 300+ PT score, 80PU 83SU 1248Run 13PUL, not exactly where I want to be at but I WILL keep getting better. I have to throw in that Ranger Songs were one of the best things I learned in class, hands down haha. As always, THANK YOU RANGERS, for leading the way before me and helping make this organization what it has become. Special thanks to Ranger HakweeRgr for everything he's done for me! Now, onto the real beginning and School as soon as possible!

RLTW!
Mata Leao

Return to “Letters from School”