Introduction - Ashlander

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

Ashlander
Embryo

Introduction - Ashlander

Post by Ashlander »

Hey there Rangers, my name is Matthew. I was discharged from the Air Force in 07 for failing an Asthma test. (I did have it as a child, but im not affected by anymore. I had no breathing problems in BMT and I've passed an Asthma test at 2 civilian clinics as proof of this.) I'm in the process of getting into the Army. I've been trying to get in for about 3 years now, but I recently switched to a different recruiting office, and things are actually starting to look in my favor. They say i have a 90% chance of getting my waiver approved and they're thinking I should be enlisted and sworn-in (again lol) by mid-July at the latest.

Now I've been thinking about possibly being a Ranger. I'm planning on going in as Infantry or Cav Scout, and would like to go to Airborne school after OSUT. I would just do Option 40, but I'm not sure if I have what it takes to actually be a Ranger. What kind advice do you guys have for me? How did you decide to go for it?
Chuck_Finley
Ranger

Re: Introduction - Ashlander

Post by Chuck_Finley »

If you're "not sure if" you "have what it take" then don't bother. You've already quit before you started.
B 3/75 90-92
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

How far in your AF training/time in did you get?
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Ashlander
Embryo

Post by Ashlander »

Steadfast wrote:How far in your AF training/time in did you get?
I was in the AF for a total of 64 days. Got sent to the 319th Medhold Squadron during the 5th week of training. At the time they had a 6 and a half week BMT. The Asthma has no effect on me, thats not a problem. They just have a zero tolerance for it. I ran, met all the PT requirments and everything just fine. Honestly, if my RE code didn't prohibit me from re-joining the AF I would be doing that instead of the Army. But since I can't, I'll still proudly serve as a soldier in the Army.
Chuck_Finley wrote:If you're "not sure if" you "have what it take" then don't bother. You've already quit before you started.
I fully intend on going in as either Infantry or Scout Cav, and then going to Airborne School. It's just that final step of going to RASP and joining the 75th that im on the fence about.
Hminus2P
Ranger

Post by Hminus2P »

Chuck_Finley wrote:If you're "not sure if" you "have what it take" then don't bother. You've already quit before you started.
Ashlander wrote: I fully intend on going in as either Infantry or Scout Cav, and then going to Airborne School. It's just that final step of going to RASP and joining the 75th that im on the fence about.
To reiterate if you are on the fence about going to RASP or serving with the Ranger Regiment dont bother with it, because at one point in your training someone is going to knock you off that fence.

QRT
RS 7-88
Dco 2/505 PIR 86-93, 95-99
Eco, Aco 1/507 00-02
Chuck_Finley
Ranger

Post by Chuck_Finley »

Don't take what I said the wrong way. There is nothing wrong with serving as an 11B in a non-Ranger unit. Plenty of men have done this and went on to have exemplary careers both in and after the military. But being a Ranger isn't something you just think about doing or consider and be successful at it.

You can almost compare it to the same mindset required when a man decides to get married (I use this analogy because more people can relate to what "should" be the mindset of getting married). You don't (or shouldn't!!!!) ask a woman to marry you (enlist with and Option 40 contract) with the thought of "well let's give this a go and if I can't hack it, c'est la vie....." because if that's what you do, your marriage is shot from the beginning ,as you've already given yourself an "out". You should go into a marriage with a drive and passion that this is your life, this is what you want to make of yourself, this is who you want to become with every fiber of your being. Nothing can stop you. Nothing can prevent you from being the best husband (Ranger) that you can be. That relationship (and the family that comes of it, much like your Ranger family) is your all consuming purpose in life. There are no other options. There is no Plan B.

That's what it takes to be successful as a Ranger. It begins with your attitude before you even start the process.
B 3/75 90-92
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Chuck_Finley wrote:
Don't take what I said the wrong way. There is nothing wrong with serving as an 11B in a non-Ranger unit. Plenty of men have done this and went on to have exemplary careers both in and after the military. But being a Ranger isn't something you just think about doing or consider and be successful at it.

You can almost compare it to the same mindset required when a man decides to get married (I use this analogy because more people can relate to what "should" be the mindset of getting married). You don't (or shouldn't!!!!) ask a woman to marry you (enlist with and Option 40 contract) with the thought of "well let's give this a go and if I can't hack it, c'est la vie....." because if that's what you do, your marriage is shot from the beginning ,as you've already given yourself an "out". You should go into a marriage with a drive and passion that this is your life, this is what you want to make of yourself, this is who you want to become with every fiber of your being. Nothing can stop you. Nothing can prevent you from being the best husband (Ranger) that you can be. That relationship (and the family that comes of it, much like your Ranger family) is your all consuming purpose in life. There are no other options. There is no Plan B.

That's what it takes to be successful as a Ranger. It begins with your attitude before you even start the process.
Wise words.

I keep seeing the Pastors sigline in my head while reading this.

"I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger, I was a Ranger because of the way I am."

Go forth and do great things bud, there's no shame in failing if you truly gave it 100% and then some. But by the same token, don't waste that valuable slot if you're not 110% prepared physically and mentally, there are many young men out there who ARE ready, and may not get the chance. Kapeesh?
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

About your screename, are you from Ashland? If so, what state?
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
Ashlander
Embryo

Post by Ashlander »

Chuck_Finley wrote:

I see your point. But I think every Ranger had some point when they wern't sure about it before they made up their mind 100%. You dont just wake up one day and decide your going to marry your girlfriend all of a sudden, its something you consider during the course of the relationship. (or so i assume, never been married and obviously never been a ranger) I'll take the point though and go as far as Airborne. When I know I'm ready I'll talk to someone about going to RASP, or Option 40 if i havent left for basic yet. This is of course assuming everything goes well with the Asthma waiver.
cams wrote:About your screename, are you from Ashland? If so, what state?
No, I'm not from Ashland. I get that all the time though, you're not the first to ask. This is just a username i came up with for something when I was probably around 12, it's just stuck with me ever since.
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

Ashlander wrote:But I think every Ranger had some point when they wern't sure about it before they made up their mind 100%.
Actually, no. Failure was never an option when it came to being a Ranger.

Marriage on the other hand......
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
Chuck_Finley
Ranger

Post by Chuck_Finley »

RangerX wrote:
Ashlander wrote:But I think every Ranger had some point when they wern't sure about it before they made up their mind 100%.
Actually, no. Failure was never an option when it came to being a Ranger.

Marriage on the other hand......
RangerX, I knew someone was gonna go there as I was typing that! :lol:

Ashlander,

At one time or another, everyone has doubts about certain things in their life. However, once you decide to do something, the time for doubt is gone. It is now time to commit "100% and then some". If you choose to pursue your options as a Ranger, work through, push aside, utterly crush and destroy and doubt, apprehension, uncertainty, hesitation or wavering you may have. If you don't, there will always be that lingering thought in the back of your mind that maybe you don't have what it takes, and it will make you susceptible to taking the easy path (quitting, dropping out, or even playing up and "injury") when life/training gets so hard that you swear that NO ONE ELSE has EVER had to go through the training that you're going through.

I'm sure you understand the gravity of what we're trying to impress upon you. I'm not trying to dissuade you at all. I just want you to be sure that you work through anything you need to prior to starting a potential career as a Ranger. Hell, I hope that you get a whole belly full of determination and motivation, fight for that RASP slot in Airborne School (that's what I had to do) and have a successful tour with the 75th Rangers.

And if you do, first round is on me. 8)
B 3/75 90-92
Ranger Ron
Ranger/LRRP/Admin

Post by Ranger Ron »

Welcome to ArmyRanger.com. I appreciate your desire to serve our great country. I see you have already received some very good advice from several great Rangers who have been there and done that! Now you need to search your heart and mind, set a goal and GO FOR IT! NEVER, NEVER QUIT!
SUA SPONTE - "We few, we happy few, we BAND OF BROTHERS;
for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother!"
- Shakespeare

RLTW! - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave

RS 3-70
SSG VN 69-70
I Co., 75th. Inf.
4/9 Inf., 25th ID

Mentored Ranger kozzman555
http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 183
http://www.ranger.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 3537
Ashlander
Embryo

Post by Ashlander »

Thanks for all the advice. I'll pop in and out if I have any other questions I can't find the answers to, otherwise I'll give you an update after I sign my life away at MEPS (again) and let you know how I decided to go about things.
Chuck_Finley
Ranger

Post by Chuck_Finley »

Ashlander, please do keep me updated. I'm intrigued as to what your decision will be. And regardless of how my earlier posts may have come across, I'm here if you have any questions.
B 3/75 90-92
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

excerpt of Ashlander wrote:
Steadfast wrote:How far in your AF training/time in did you get?
I was in the AF for a total of 64 days. Got sent to the 319th Medhold Squadron during the 5th week of training. At the time they had a 6 and a half week BMT.
Okay then, we do not consider you a veteran. On this site you will need to follow protocol by addressing Rangers properly. Go to the top of this intro forum & read:
Intro FAQ - New members read and heed!
You should pay attention to item # third as I have not seen you demonstrate you are aware of this rule. No one wants apologies, just fall in step and correct this deficiency.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4

Return to “Introduction Archive”