Bankruptcy & secret clearances

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
ToyRider
Egg

Bankruptcy & secret clearances

Post by ToyRider »

I have filed for bankruptcy, and want to become a ranger, does this affect my entry, and how if so.....
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

without being a subject matter expert (only 20 years OJT) I will give you this advice. When initiating a clearance ENSURE that you are 100% Honest. You should also ensure that if and when you fill out something called an "EPSQ" that you save a copy to disc and protect it with your life.

This is all you need to know do not attempt any further inquires into this subject!
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
the_machine
Tadpole

Re: Bankruptcy & secret clearances

Post by the_machine »

torinryder wrote:I have filed for bankruptcy, and want to become a ranger, does this affect my entry, and how if so.....
While not a Ranger, I recently finished my inital workup for a security clearance and i agree with what you were told....

Be 100% percent honest and hide nothing as anything you attempt to hide will be found out about and lying on a security clearance is a no go for sure.

Finances are a big issue and you need to be explicit about everything, names dates $$ amounts...all of it.
11-M(B co. 3/15 inf, 24th inf)

Why did I re-enlist?...the scenery changes, the pay is good and i get to play with dynamite.
B 2/75
Ranger

Post by B 2/75 »

If the reason for your bankruptcy is that you were careless with your (lack of) money, it CAN have an effect on a clearance, particularly if you are trying for anything more than a Secret NAC (National Agency Check). If you were running around racking up credit card debt which exceeded your ability to pay off, you might be in trouble, as that is an indicator of personal immaturatiy and irrisponsability that they tend to shy away from when handing out the "responsible person" badges. Like they said earlier, be brutally honest, and omit NOTHING. Non-disclosure is the kiss of certain death.
- ALL THE WAY -
1st Plt B 2/75 - Sniper
Ranger classes 4-80 & 9-80
3/60 INF 9th ID
2/278 ACR TN NG
3/319 INF 80TH ID
4/4 FA
11th USAFAD (8" Special Wpns)
D/96 CA (A)
JIATF-East (Counter Drug)
478 CA (FID/UW) (IFOR/SFOR)
5 SFG (A) (OIF 1)
USSOCOM - Retired AUG 09
Biometrics Mgmt Office (AFG) (SAIC)
PM DoD Biometrics - Operations (SAIC)
Parabellum
Ranger

Post by Parabellum »

It most likely will.
"We spoke to them in the only language they understood - the machine gun."

HHC 1/75 Oct 98-Mar 99
B co 1/75 Mar 99-Apr 04
ROC RSTB RIP/PRC Cadre Apr 04-May 06
A co 1/75 May 06-Jul 08
HHC 1/75 Jul 08-Mar 09

RS 3-99
REMF
Embryo

Post by REMF »

CONUS all I do is clearance stuffs, so this is kind of my forte.

Generally speaking, financial problems are the number one disqualifier for clearances. 5ish figures of unsecured debt are what I see clearances kicked back for. On the other hand, I HAVE seen guys with bankruptcies in their past get approved for secret, and on rare occassion top secret clearances

If the bankruptcy is very recent, or for a large amount of unsecured debt, you're probably in trouble. For good reason as well, I'm not questioning your personal integrity, but money is how an average civil servant or military member is turned into a spy. We do it, rest assured, the other side does it.

The only thing I can tell you is make sure you've got paperwork out the ass to back up that you're making a 100% attempt to get your finances in order, and generally be a more responsible individual. If and when the investigator comes to talk to you/your acquaintances having something to show is good.
Worldweaver
Ranger

Post by Worldweaver »

Rangers, I have been cleared through Meps with an 11x opt 40 contract. The 1st SGT at Meps told me that my security clearance would be reviewed over the next few months (during the time I'm in Benning) and I would be contacted as to my eligibliity for RIP. My difficulties, are from a Bankrupcy of about 30 thousand from May of 2004, fincancial troubles originating from my divorce in 2003. Another recruiter told me to ask again for RIP while at jump school if my clearance was turned down initially. Does this sound plausible? Or is this just wishful thinking on my part, and recruiters blowing smoke up my ass? Thanks for the assistance.
Go Tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, that here obedient to their laws we lie.
--Simonides

Bco. 1/75 2006-2010
RS 06-08
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Worldweaver wrote: Another recruiter told me to ask again for RIP while at jump school if my clearance was turned down initially. Does this sound plausible?
If you enter the Army without an Option-40 contract then this is the only hope you have (and it's not a good one either)!
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

If you have your Option 40 on ship day, you passed the ENTNAC check and will recieve your clearance.

You should have talked to a security inteviewer after securing your contract. This is a requirement for all jobs requiring a clearance.

They'll start running it ASAP.

Congrats and beat your fucking face.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
Bugsy
Ranger

Re: Bankruptcy & secret clearances

Post by Bugsy »

ToyRider wrote:I have filed for bankruptcy, DOES THIS MEAN I HAVE TO BEAT MY FACE FOR NOT USING THE SEARCH BUTTON?.....
YES FUCKER IS DOES..................... SO DROP AND JUST GET BUSY KNOCKIN OUT "FIDDY!!!"

1984 - 1985 5th Inf Div
1985 - 1986 75th Inf Ranger Regt
1986 - 1988 3/12 SFG (ABN)

The strength of the pack is the Wolf... and the strength of the Wolf is the pack... :twisted:

Return to “Recruitment Process”