Introduction - Jason

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

Sawyer
Embryo

Introduction - Jason

Post by Sawyer »

Hello Rangers, and thanks for all you do.

I volunteered for the army in 2003, angling for an 11B contract with Rangers in mind (I don't remember if it was Option 40 then or not). Though I had never had an incident and had never been diagnosed, the MEPS doctor decided on the spot that I was asthmatic, and wrote such a severe statement in my records that my waiver applications were denied. So I went and fought fires on a forest service "hotshot" crew instead, getting my jollies from torching mountain sides, carrying 70 pound packs, eating smoke, sleeping in the dirt, and generally keeping the kiddies d***s in the dirt all day.

Now I'm bound for medical school and the HPSP recruiter thinks that common sense will prevail and I'll get a waiver for my alleged "asthma". So I'm rooting around on forums and trying to make contact with people who know the real deal about military medicine and what roles are available to docs in the army. So far, most of the docs I've contacted whine about not having broadband internet 24/7 and being forced to (gasp!) run once in a while. So I figure that if I want the low down on milmed, then I need to talk to guys that know something about commitment and sacrifice, and what better source than Rangers?

Thanks to all of you for what you do and for your willingness to stand directly in harms way. I'm still hoping for the opportunity to serve my country and to work along side a group as dedicated as you!

Sawyer
Sawyer
Embryo

Re: Introduction - Jason

Post by Sawyer »

I was on Modoc IHC in northern California for a season and then on Carson IHC in New Mexico for three years. I was lead saw for two of those years and senior firefighter for the third. Did you throw some dirt for a while, too?
Texas Rescue
Embryo

Post by Texas Rescue »

Props to you Wildland FFs...Grass fires are the devil.
Sawyer
Embryo

Post by Sawyer »

Lunch wrote:
Lunch wrote:Doin' the pack test next week...

Just a Type-2 militia type grunt, + B sawyer; currently on the Superior NF. We don't do dirt here...we got lotsa water.

Can't help you with the medical end of your questions; maybe some of the better informed Rangers or other members here can advise. Welcome to the site, thanks for your service...and for your drive to continue serving. Given the experience you have on your crews, the organizational structure, and the philosophy these folks take towards PT, training, and executing your mission, you definately would have an outstanding head start on your peers. BTW: the Army might make you wash your clothes and shower a little more frequently than you might be used to... :lol:
Edited to add...I just noticed the other thread where you were advised about the use of titles when responding to others on the site. Be sure to adhere to the established protocols that exist within this community. For examples, if any are needed, reference some of Ranger Ndog's mentoring threads...those future studs have got it down.
Thank you for the advice, Ranger Lunch. I've been reading/posting on several forums lately researching my options and have gotten to a point where I don't read too many of the sticky's/faq's/welcome messages. That was a big mistake around here, and I'm correcting it. (I'm really not trying to look like an idiot. :oops:) Now that I'm aware of it, I really like the sense of decorum it creates here.

On another subject, I've worked with quite a few Superior NF guys over the years, seems like a good forest to work for. I had several type 2 assignments before the hotshots would even talk to me, I always had fun on the Regs crews. And as for hygiene, I'll never forget coming in after 9 days in the black of LA's Station fire and walking the whole crew straight into the nearest In-n-Out Burger during dinner rush.:lol: Bathing a little more frequently than that would not be the end of the world.

Also, that's a nice looking qualifier in your avatar.

Thanks for the welcome!
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

we call that a "Koala-fying". good luck with your endeavors.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long

Return to “Introduction Archive”