Rangers who should have passed, but didnt...

Three phases and 62 days of hell. This section named in honor of MAJ John Whyte who was taken from us on 04/17/05.
avidwanderer
USAF Vet/US Army Chopper Pilot

Rangers who should have passed, but didnt...

Post by avidwanderer »

After reading posts about people who should have passed but didn't, and people who shouldn't have passed but did, I have a question. If by circumstances you can't control you dont pass, if you dont quit, you can recycle, right? (Outside of RAP week of course). Which means if someone BFs you on a patrol and you get a no-go, you could theoretically choose to recycle until you get a go? Is that correct? Thanks for any help.
Nov 2001--March 2006 52 SFS, 49 OSS
as active duty air force security forces
--crossed to army--
March 2006-May 2006 WOCS Class 06-07
May 2006-Nov 2007 B Co. 1/145th
Nov 2007-In a US army CAB
Oct 2008--Oct 2009 Camp Speicher B. 3-10 AVN
Oct 2010--Present JAF Task Force Six Shooters (Calvary)
AIR CAV!!!!
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Dude, I've heard different things with different classes/people.

I recycled mtns and then failed patrols again second time through. I was not given the option to stay and go thru mtns again......I wasn't given the option of starting RS all over again either. Though I have *heard* of folks who have.

I definitely would have continued if I could have.

Luck plays a big part of Ranger School. There were times I thought RS was really easy, and times I thought nothing could suck worse.

Hope that helped.
Silverback
Ranger

Re: Rangers who should have passed, but didnt...

Post by Silverback »

avidwanderer wrote:if someone BFs you on a patrol and you get a no-go, you could theoretically choose to recycle until you get a go? Is that correct? Thanks for any help.
Here's the science to counteract the opinion(s)

Each Observation Report (OR) contains a number of tasks that must be completed. Each task contains numerous sub-tasks. In order to receive a "GO" on each task you must pass at least 70% of the Sub-tasks. To receive a "GO" on each patrol you must pass at least 70% of the Tasks.

Instructor narrative is a large part of each OR. Instructors are required to "explain" their decision on the outcome of the grade. I have seen (quite a bit) a Ranger receive a No-Go on a patrol but still be reccomended to go forward. This typically puts the student at a disadvantage because of the requirement to attain the all too important 50% of all graded patrols.

Confused??

I have never given a "No-Go" but over 90% of the students I graded have EARNED "No-Gos". In order to receive a No-Go the BF you received would have to be of monumental proportions. Luck becomes a factor when you allow circumstances to exceed your control. Luck is a factor when discussing medical conditions, climatic conditions and the like.

No-one has ever graduated Ranger school alone.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Ranger2

Post by Ranger2 »

Luck plays in when both your patrols in a phase are conducted in bad weather. At least in my experience it is hard to get anyone to do much when it is raining or snowing.

I also was graded on a squad recon that my RI didn't even travel with me, he was with a different squad. He said we used pyro and we didn't even have any, the opfor did. I started to question him on how he could grade me without being there but it went no where.

I passed but I still say that a lot of luck went into it.

Ranger2
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

It also sucks if you are on a graded patrol on like the last day of the problem when everyone has already had their patrols and they are zombies...
B 2/75
Ranger

Post by B 2/75 »

BadMuther wrote:It also sucks if you are on a graded patrol on like the last day of the problem when everyone has already had their patrols and they are zombies...
Or are already Tabbed Out and don't give a shit, in addition to being Zombies. When the RI calls yer name early in the morning on day 10 in Florida, sez your the APL for movement phase, and you're gonna get a look on yer mug kind like :shock: Well Fuck Me with a Twinkie, if I didn't eat it first!
- ALL THE WAY -
1st Plt B 2/75 - Sniper
Ranger classes 4-80 & 9-80
3/60 INF 9th ID
2/278 ACR TN NG
3/319 INF 80TH ID
4/4 FA
11th USAFAD (8" Special Wpns)
D/96 CA (A)
JIATF-East (Counter Drug)
478 CA (FID/UW) (IFOR/SFOR)
5 SFG (A) (OIF 1)
USSOCOM - Retired AUG 09
Biometrics Mgmt Office (AFG) (SAIC)
PM DoD Biometrics - Operations (SAIC)
Ranger2

Post by Ranger2 »

Speaking of limitations, I learned a big lesson in my recycle phase. Sleep is more important than food. You can go without food but not without sleep. The first time through mountains when it came time to rack out I would always take about a 1/2 hour and eat. The second time I racked out, it helped even just a 1/2 hour. You could think better and were better prepared for the next day.

Ranger2
B 2/75
Ranger

Post by B 2/75 »

Fish3069 wrote: I recieved day 1 goes in both Mountains and Florida, which also happened to be the only patrols I recieved during those two phases. Fish
Tabbed out on fookin Day One of the 12-day. Man oh Man, what a deal...
- ALL THE WAY -
1st Plt B 2/75 - Sniper
Ranger classes 4-80 & 9-80
3/60 INF 9th ID
2/278 ACR TN NG
3/319 INF 80TH ID
4/4 FA
11th USAFAD (8" Special Wpns)
D/96 CA (A)
JIATF-East (Counter Drug)
478 CA (FID/UW) (IFOR/SFOR)
5 SFG (A) (OIF 1)
USSOCOM - Retired AUG 09
Biometrics Mgmt Office (AFG) (SAIC)
PM DoD Biometrics - Operations (SAIC)
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Sober, when I went through RS was when the RI's gave you no indication of how you had done. No feedback to improve on, whatnot.

We had a large contingent of IOBC guys in my first class.
I have no idea how the RI's grade, but I saw some REALLY fucked up 2nd Lt. missions, which apparently received a "go", because those guys passed and me and a bunch of others recycled.

(No ORP, didn't even stop, we just all ran on to the objective like wildmen, with rucksd, no support or security...afterwards the RI said that was the best mission he had seen yet....I was bewildered...

No offense, but other then from RI's/RTB cadre, everyone else I know who has gone through RS has acknowledged that luck plays a big factor. Luck in many ways, not just passing patrols.
avidwanderer
USAF Vet/US Army Chopper Pilot

Post by avidwanderer »

Thanks rangers for the advice. My plan of action is to try and get goes all the way, but not to expect it... Im telling everyone Im going to be gone for 3 months at least, even though RS is supposed to be 60-some days. When one is SL, how do you motivate or 'keep people in line' if you get your patrol on the last day. At PR I got my patrol also on the last day--everyone was dragging ass and didnt give a fuck. I was in charge of planning phase, and keeping security. I ran around in circles until 3:00PM waking everone up, and trying to beat the RI to my security guys when he would come over. Ended up with a no-go, because I failed to help the guy making the terrain model, and he made a shitty terrain model. I learned from that: if you want it done right, do it yourself.
Nov 2001--March 2006 52 SFS, 49 OSS
as active duty air force security forces
--crossed to army--
March 2006-May 2006 WOCS Class 06-07
May 2006-Nov 2007 B Co. 1/145th
Nov 2007-In a US army CAB
Oct 2008--Oct 2009 Camp Speicher B. 3-10 AVN
Oct 2010--Present JAF Task Force Six Shooters (Calvary)
AIR CAV!!!!
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

avidwanderer wrote:When one is SL, how do you motivate or 'keep people in line' if you get your patrol on the last day. At PR I got my patrol also on the last day--everyone was dragging ass and didnt give a fuck.
Best way to do this is to bust your ass every day when other people are in charge and help as many guys who need help when they ask for it, and sometimes when they don't. Believe me, when you get close to the end, you know who you want to help and who you don't want to help. By then those who you don't want to help are usually sticking out like a sore thumb in the minds of everyone who busted their ass to help people through the course.

But, another good way is to just plain expect it and demand it. You have to walk them through it (your expectations of their performance) and be more forceful in your commands (example - IMT'ing across 200 meters of open sand on a final assault in the last exercise of the Florida phase).

You've got to keep things really simple for people when they are exhuasted and totally spent like they will be at the end of Florida.
Kelly-Belly
Tadpole

Post by Kelly-Belly »

This might not be the place to ask this, but has almost everyone here that went through Ranger School got recycled? Dis is in Florida right now and he hasn't recycled yet, so I was just curious. Oh yeah, and what does "tabbed out" mean? I might be having a blonde moment.... :D Thanks Rangers...
Kelly

This should be you...that they call Incredible...

Return to “About Ranger School - In Honor of Ranger BattleBoar - RIP”