Pain during boot running

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
Cisco4711
US Army

Pain during boot running

Post by Cisco4711 »

Hello Rangers, i'm currently at Pre-Rasp waiting to class up, hopefully soon!

But meanwhile, when I run in boots, lately they've been hurting. I changed the insole since at RASP only standard issue is allowed(getting a different boot is out of the question.) I've had them for about 2 days and they're still breaking in I guess, but I was wondering what you all did to fix the pain when running in boots or if it's something I simply have to get used to? I get shin splints in my left leg and I'm afraid that over time they might turn into stress fractures if I don't fix it. The insoles I bought were Superfeet, Green.

Thanks for any advice Rangers and I'll keep driving on!

P.S- Any thoughts on the Belleville standard issue boots? I notice a couple of people wearing them and some say they're better than the regular boots we get issued.
173rd Airborne Brigade Combat Team
Feb 2010- Present
Oto-Man
Ranger

Re: Pain during boot running

Post by Oto-Man »

I'm not a medic, and I don't play one on TV, but it sounds to me like a case of acute silicas vaginitis...

Seriously, get em soaking wet and go for a 2 mile walk with the laces VERY Loose....slow pace...if you get hot spots or burning, tighten them up a bit....take em off and let em rest for two days, put em back on, lace em up and you'll be surprised at your new set of feet. The shin splints are either low potasium( changed your diet-add bananas), or piss poor stretching, and drink water!!!

Good luck
B Co 2/75 (WEBCO)
1988-1990
RS Class 1-90
Baseplate
Ranger

Post by Baseplate »

Stretching was key for me when I had shin splints. If your boots aren't broken in get them wet and I don't mean a little wet I mean wear them in the shower and don't take them off all day they will be broken in after that
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

I think the wet boot trick went out with the all leather boots, the nylon cordova things they got now are just more robust versions of the hi-teks we bought back around 1990.
My suggestion is to train smart & there is nothing smart about running in boots. Get in the best shape you can without needless abuse.
Otherwise, have boots well broken in for RASP, but to run in them? I vote 'no'. Suck it up while you're in RASP, but don't get a head start on injury.
Others may know more & better.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
RANGER513
Ranger

Post by RANGER513 »

There are ALOT of other Rangers on here far, FAR more qualified to answer your question than me, wildman. But if you are in Pre-RASP and NOT physically ready, well, you're just a little behind the power-curve, don't ya think ????!!!!!

I have no problems with ya staying in shape and keeping the oxygen breathers ready to go, but one of your main goals at this stage in the game is to remain 100 percent healthy and ready !!

Some of us " old timers " were forced to run in boots. It was stupid then, and in my opinion, its still stupid now. I'm with Ranger Ingraham, if ya don't have to run in boots, don't ! Stay healthy and prepared for RASP.

My .02
C Co 2/75
1986 - 1992
RS Class 9-87

RLTW

" The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena............ "
rangerabe
Ranger

Post by rangerabe »

Fuck the wet boot, suck it up and drive on. If your body can't handle it, then fuck it, your histrory, and go back to mommie.
RS 8-76
Bco 1/75
Aco/S2 2/75
rangerabe
Ranger

Post by rangerabe »

Fucking pussys
RS 8-76
Bco 1/75
Aco/S2 2/75
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

rangerabe wrote:Fucking pussys
Good to see some things don't change with time Sarnt. :lol:
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

cams wrote:
rangerabe wrote:Fucking pussys
Good to see some things don't change with time Sarnt. :lol:
:lol: How did we ever manage, just taking things one day at a time & dealing with it as it arose? You know, like they do in "war"?
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

Don't run in boots
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
RANGER513
Ranger

Post by RANGER513 »

rangerabe wrote:Fuck the wet boot, suck it up and drive on. If your body can't handle it, then fuck it, your histrory, and go back to mommie.

See ! I told ya !!! Far better than my reply !!! 8)
C Co 2/75
1986 - 1992
RS Class 9-87

RLTW

" The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena............ "
Cisco4711
US Army

Post by Cisco4711 »

Roger that Rangers!
173rd Airborne Brigade Combat Team
Feb 2010- Present
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

on a different note, the bellevilles are waaay better than that shit they issue in basic. the belleville 390/790s are also blue book standard for duties in batt.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
rangerabe
Ranger

Post by rangerabe »

You have to be hard and build your legs and feet to with stand the punishment of harsh conditions, no boots made can do that, they can add to a more comfort level once in shape, but your feet and legs will give out unless their in shape.
RS 8-76
Bco 1/75
Aco/S2 2/75
C-MAC
USAF Veteran

Post by C-MAC »

Only a comment on the boots, because that's all I am qualified to comment on. I beat the crap out of them running/hiking in rain, whatever..

From my civilian experience Belleville's military boot is very good, as is to a lesser degree Altama's (your SI? Not sure). Just got a pair of the Danner's but so far, so good (no break in/light/tough).

Anyway, something about "the man makes the boot" keeps running around in my head. But that's just a zoomie talking.....
If you want to be successful at anything, you'll need to develop a never quit attitude. Don't let life happen to you. Grab it by the throat and make life dance to your tune.
Ranger KW Driver

Return to “About Army Physical Training”