Best read on Operation Anaconda?

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

cbiwv
Tadpole

Best read on Operation Anaconda?

Post by cbiwv »

I have recently become interested in this particular mission. I have researched the books that are available and there are several. Could someone please suggest at least one that they would consider worth the purchase? Thanks.
2nd Armored div(FWD)1990-1992
1st Infantry div(Desert Storm)1991
101st Airborne(18th FA Bgde)1992-1994
Edge
Ranger

Re: Best read on Operation Anaconda?

Post by Edge »

Not a Good Day to Die by Sean Naylor is very good book about the entire operation going into detail on both the conventional and SOF sides of the story. The negatives on the book in reviews written by others were too much military slang, seemingly tedious facts but that's irrelevant for Veterans like yourself and other future soldiers like myself. Some have also said that the author seems to have an anti-SEAL slant , having not served in the military yet I wouldn't know, but this book seems to be the most complete picture of Operation Anaconda without having participated.The actual story is 377 pages but there's also prefaces and indexes with additional information so its not incredibly long but long enough that you'll feel like its money well spent. I'm actually reading it a second time right now. Amazon has some independent dealers listing it for around 6 bucks with 3 for shipping. If you want more detail on the Neil Roberts rescue in particular Roberts Ridge is available as well but I have not read that.
"Out of every 100 men, 10 should not be here,80 are nothing but targets, 9 are the real fighters and we are lucky to have them for they the battle make. Ah, but the ONE, ONE of them is a WARRIOR,and he will bring the others back."-Heraclitus 500 BC

Mentee to Ranger Invictus
B Co 3/75
Baseplate
Ranger

Post by Baseplate »

Two Wars by Nate Self
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
BruteForce
US Army Veteran

Post by BruteForce »

I've read all three of the aforementioned books: Get them all.
US Army 1986 - 1994
InfoSec/InfraGard/NetGuard (1994 - Present)
Random world and Adventures of BruteForce
C-MAC
USAF Veteran

Post by C-MAC »

I don’t want to go all “academic” on you, but here are some good resources which are not books;

USAF Air power study (you know a zoomie would lead with this.)
http://www.af.mil/shared/media/document ... 26-037.pdf

Good materials from CAC Center for Lessons Learned (all declassified/public). Also search the CALL Library for some additional Lessons learned materials.

US Army Case Study

http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?Lo ... =ADA463075

SF perspective;

http://www.cgsc.edu/carl/download/csipu ... rmed_2.pdf
If you want to be successful at anything, you'll need to develop a never quit attitude. Don't let life happen to you. Grab it by the throat and make life dance to your tune.
Ranger KW Driver
cbiwv
Tadpole

Post by cbiwv »

I'm reading Not A Good Day to Die. The author sure likes Rangers and does not think highly of the SEALS.
75rangermom
Ranger Mom

Post by 75rangermom »

I've read both Robert's Ridge and Not a good day to die. the second is more technical but both are good.
I can do all things through Christ Who strengthens me.
cbiwv
Tadpole

Post by cbiwv »

Buddha wrote:They all complement each other. It was a large operation, and as a participant, reading them all helped close the loop on some questions I had.

I bet that was interesting? I sent you a pm.

Return to “The Mosh Pit”