Obtaining opt 40 - Wrist surgery

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
Elguapo
Ranger

Re: Obtaining opt 40 - Wrist surgery

Post by Elguapo »

Chapter 2
Physical Standards for Enlistment, Appointment, and Induction

(2) Current retained hardware that is symptomatic, interferes with proper wearing of protective equipment or
military uniform, and/or is subject to easy trauma, does not meet the standard (V53.7). Retained hardware (733.99)
(including plates, pins, rods, wires, or screws used for fixation) is not disqualifying if fractures are healed, ligaments
are stable, there is no pain, and it is not subject to easy trauma.

Chapter 5–3. Medical fitness standards for initial selection for Airborne training, Ranger training, and Special
Forces training, and Reconnaissance and Surveillance Leaders Course training

The causes of medical unfitness for initial selection for Airborne training, Ranger training, Special Forces, and
Reconnaissance and Surveillance Leaders Course (RSLC) training are all the causes listed in chapter 2, plus all the
causes listed in paragraphs 5–3 and 5–4.

(9) Retained hardware that is integral to maintaining fixation or stability, or presents a risk to mobility or a risk of
further injury by its presence.

Now, as you can see, according to the Army Regulation (AR 40-501), you are good to go to Enlist into the military. This can been seen under Chapter 2, which I quoted here for you today.

However, in Chapter 5 section 3, you can see that retained hardware prevent you from going to Airborne School, which is obviously needed for the 75th.

If I were you, I'd look into getting the pins removed. That might just be your only way in to what you want to do.
USAR 04-05
TXARNG 05-Present

OEF 08-09
HOA '12

RS 5-10

Return to “Recruitment Process”