35F + Option 40 = impossible, according to MEPS

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
Terrence_87
Future Soldier

35F + Option 40 = impossible, according to MEPS

Post by Terrence_87 »

Hello Rangers,

For the past 48 hours, I've been working with the liaisons and First Sergeants at MEPS and at the company level here in Chicago, IL. I have one request, which I am standing by. I want 35F with Option 40. It is that simple.

At MEPS, my first liaison told me that "35F never has and never will come with option 40". My stomach sunk for a quick moment. I asked, how does one get into the RSTB with 35F? He replied that the only way to get into the 75th Ranger Regiment with a non-combat MOS, and especially an MI MOS, is to first graduate AIT and airborne. Then, once you arrive at your first duty station, fill out some sort of form to be released from that unit and sent to attend RASP 1. (Of course, this is only if the Regiment needs your MOS at that very moment).

That path does not sit well with me at all. I told him that I will not sign, stood up and went to the holding area. A few moments later, he called for me, and he took me into the First Sergeant's office, who they referred to as "Top." She was incredibly kind and she seemed to give a darn about me getting this MOS and option combined. She said that she would contact "ROC" and see what she can come up with, but there was something wrong with my packet. My recruiter had neglected to obtain my high school transcripts, which prevented "Top" from calling "ROC" right away. She sent my recruiter to obtain both my high school and college transcripts to prove that I'd taken Algebra (a requirement for 35F). She sent me back to the holding area to wait fro my transcripts to arrive. 1600 rolled around, MEPS was closing, and only my college transcripts had manifested, so I was sent into layover and told that I would return to MEPS the next morning.

As my recruiter was dropping me off at home, his First Sergeant called him and told him that, instead of going back to MEPS the next morning, that we would meet with him at "company" instead. The next morning (today), we did just that. The First Sergeant said that he and Top were going to work together to see if my desired job could be put together somehow.

In the meantime, the First Sergeant began to preach about enlisting as 18x. He said that is much more difficult and prestigious than being a 35F in the RSTB, and that the SF guys are generally a higher caliber soldier than the Rangers. I cringed at his audacity (no disrespect or offense to SF soldiers). He applauded the research I had done on the process and all, but he simply said that I understood the information incorrectly. He repeatedly said that he didn't think that it was possible for any 35-series future soldiers to enlist with opt. 40, but he would try his best nonetheless. I thanked him for all of his and his unit's efforts and headed to work.

I have not heard anything about the position being "created" since, so I'm sort of on edge right now.

Have any of you Rangers heard about this criteria? Is it true that no civilian can gain an Option 40 alongside a 35-series MOS, or is this some mumblejumbo meant to weed out those who aren't willing to be patient?

Thank you Rangers,

Terrence
GoldCoast
Ranger/Matchmaker

Re: 35F + Option 40 = impossible, according to MEPS

Post by GoldCoast »

Terrance - you are on the right track. Stick to your guns. 35F + Option 40 may not exist; however, the recruiter can find a way to get Airborne School and RASP in your enlistment contract. They may just not know how. I am going to PM you the contact information for the Ranger Regiment LNO - he can point you or your recruiter in the correct direction to make a slot if one can be made.

On another note, there is no shame in pursuing 18x, but if your mind is made up then you should definitely fight for what you want. No one ever said it would be easy. Good luck.

.....and... PM sent.
HHC 2/75 (1998- 2000)

Duty a mountain; Death a feather.

One of these days I'll start off slow...
Terrence_87
Future Soldier

Post by Terrence_87 »

Ranger GoldCoast,

Thank you. This contact is much appreciated.

I'm sticking to my guns until I'm completely out of ammo and rocks for throwing. I don't plan on giving in anytime soon. I may see what happens over the next 30 days, while my MEPS medical qualification is still valid. I'm hoping for the best.

-Terrence
Invictus
Ranger

Post by Invictus »

The short answer, is that what you were told is bullshit.

https://www.benning.army.mil/75thranger ... uiting.htm
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Post by Disinfertention »

Invictus wrote:The short answer, is that what you were told is bullshit.

https://www.benning.army.mil/75thranger ... uiting.htm
Agreed. If MEPs and the recruiting station still want to dick around I'd say calling the LNO is sound advice. Get them to talk to one another since it seems they side stepped that option and it will get spelled out.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Perhaps it is an NCO position and therefor not open to privates?
Email the POC in Invictus' link and ask in a brief email which are the "entry-level" positions.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
Terrence_87
Future Soldier

Post by Terrence_87 »

K.Ingraham wrote:Perhaps it is an NCO position and therefor not open to privates?
Email the POC in Invictus' link and ask in a brief email which are the "entry-level" positions.
Roger that, Ranger K.Ingraham.

-Terrence
Terrence_87
Future Soldier

Post by Terrence_87 »

Ranger K.Ingraham,

I have contacted the POC via email about the "entry-level" positions.

-Terrence
Terrence_87
Future Soldier

Post by Terrence_87 »

UPDATE:

Rangers,

My query has been answered by the Senior Intelligence NCO of the 75th Ranger Regiment.

The SFC suggests that I enlist with 35F + Airborne if possible. He says "we will be out to recruit for 35F," and "Don’t worry about the option 40 at this point there will plenty of opportunities for you to join the RGT."

This advice, though from a notable source, seems to negate everything I've been reading on this website (and others) about how you must negotiate everything you sincerely want INTO YOUR CONTRACT. I sincerely want to be in the RSTB, assisting the Rangers whom I admire, but that bulb is flickering for the time being.

Any advice Rangers?

-Terrence
GoldCoast
Ranger/Matchmaker

Post by GoldCoast »

If I was a wannabe 35F/ Airborne Ranger and the Senior Intelligence NCO of the Ranger Regiment told me to do something I would trust him. 'Nuff said.
HHC 2/75 (1998- 2000)

Duty a mountain; Death a feather.

One of these days I'll start off slow...
mortar_guy78
Ranger

Post by mortar_guy78 »

GoldCoast wrote:If I was a wannabe 35F/ Airborne Ranger and the Senior Intelligence NCO of the Ranger Regiment told me to do something I would trust him. 'Nuff said.
That's just what I was gonna say.
HHC 4/64 AR '97-'99
HHC 1/75 RGR '99-'01
HHC 1/508 ABCT '01-'04
C co, HHC 2/1 IN '04-'07
C co, B co 1/24 IN '07-'11
D co 308th MI '12-'15
7th SFG(A) MICO '15-'18
C co 308th MI '18-Present

Keep your mind in hell and despair not.

THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
Terrence_87
Future Soldier

Post by Terrence_87 »

Rangers,

I think I will follow the his instructions or go 18x. Before I commit to 18x, I must do much more research. My primary interest in 18x is primarily the guaranteed language training. My worry with 18x is the consequence of failure. Failures become 11b, which is not where I want to be professionally. I will sort all of this out soon and keep everyone posted.

Thanks Rangers.

-Terrence

Return to “Recruitment Process”