General Question about Army procedures

This Archive will be used for posts 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

Squidward89
USN Veteran

General Question about Army procedures

Post by Squidward89 »

Being a former Navy guy, I'm not completely sure on what Army protocol is for certain things. I'm trying to help out my son, who is currently stationed at Ft. Bragg with the 82nd Airborne, but my understanding doesn't seem to jive with what he knows.

The question is, "If a soldier who is in the 82nd wishes to transfer to another unit in the 82nd, how does he go about doing that?"

Here is the background information. My son is a PFC who just got out of Basic and Airborne School (10/8 and 11/7 respectively) and just arrived at the 82nd earlier this month. His initial wish on getting into the Army was to go to combat and become a Ranger. He missed out on RASP and now the Brigade he is assigned to at the 82nd, just recently got back and wont be going anywhere for about 2 years. There is another Brigade at the 82nd that is scheduled to go to Afghanistan sometime later in 2011.

It is my feeling that my son could go to someone and request a transfer within the division so that he can get to combat sooner, but he doesn't think that is a possibility. Part of his hold up is he is the only 'newbie' in his company, his leading sergent (I'm not sure what he's called or what his official title is now) is real busy with some other stuff while he get's ready to go to Special Forces schooling, so my son thinks that him just being a cherry PFC, it would be a bad idea to bother this guy. So what kind of guidance can I give to my son?

In the Navy, I would have gone to my division Chief first, then he would probably arrange a meeting with my Div. Officer, and then he would take it to the Engineer and so on. My thought is that my son should start with his immediated head in his chain of command and ask what he can do to find out about a transfer inside the 82nd to go to the Brigade getting shipped out sooner. His platoon leader, I would think, should either walk him through the process or arrange a meeting with the person or persons who could get this process going. It would seem to me, that there would be a soldier in the unit that is leaving later in 2011 that has already be deployed, is married or is getting ready to have a kid and would love to trade places with my son for an opportunity to stay in the states a bit longer.

Anyway, that's my question and the background and I would appreciate any information that I could pass on to my son to help him in his journey. I've tried to assure him that he will go eventually, but two years to a 19 year old is an eternity. :(

Thank you.
USS Memphis SSN-691 1985-1989
US Navy SCUBA Diver, class 87-27-SC
Naval Nuclear Power School, class 8405
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Re: General Question about Army procedures

Post by Disinfertention »

PM sent to ya.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
Squidward89
USN Veteran

Re: General Question about Army procedures

Post by Squidward89 »

First, thank you for the replies. I appreciate any 'intel' I can pass along to my son.

Second, my son does want to go to Ranger school and while he got turned down at Airborne school to go to RASP, he plans on re-enlisting in the future with a RASP guarentee. He realizes that both Ranger Battalion and Ranger School are the elite and require him to get better if he want to be numbered amoung the best.

He's new to the Army and to his battalion at the 82nd, but I'm confident he'll find a mentor to direct him in how to become one of the best. It's not just about schools or advancement for him at this time, but getting into the fight and proving himself. While I wasn't in the Army Infantry at a time of war, I do understand part of his mindset.

Also, he's not asking me to gather info, that's just me trying to help him reach his goal. He's a determined young man, and I know he'll reach his goals eventually, but It's just hard for me to sit on the sidelines and not try to do anything. I'll pass along all info I get and he can use it if he wants.

Thanks again for the info and your guys service.

Sincerely,
Squidward
USS Memphis SSN-691 1985-1989
US Navy SCUBA Diver, class 87-27-SC
Naval Nuclear Power School, class 8405

Return to “Introduction Archive”