Option 40 information

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
Hminus2P
Ranger

Option 40 information

Post by Hminus2P »

As I have worked this issue over the last few weeks for my son I will pass along what I have learned in regards to 11x option 40. recieved an email from the Regimental recruiting office today (for the moderators if you would like i can forward to you) who explained the situation like this they have cut the number of contracts down from 225 to 75 a month as of now all FY11 slots are filled. They are doing this for quality control ( as I am sure you have all seen some of the specimens who initially take a contract and quit or physically unable this is a great thing) and will begin to look at recruits in OSUT based on GT scores and PT scores. Other MOS's will still have option 40 available. Hoope this helps any and all in understanding the process as it stands today.
RS 7-88
Dco 2/505 PIR 86-93, 95-99
Eco, Aco 1/507 00-02
MammothJ
Embryo

Re: Option 40 information

Post by MammothJ »

I am not saying this isnt what you heard, i was just wondering if any one else has heard anything more in regards to this. I'm starting the DEP process in the next week or two, and was wondering if there was any more info on this. I know no matter what im going to be "standing in line" waiting for an option 40 slot on my 11x, which im 100% ok with. Just wanted any more heads up on this.
Squidward89
USN Veteran

Re: Option 40 information

Post by Squidward89 »

What is an Option 40? While I'm not sure, I'm guessing an Option 40 has to do with getting a RASP contract when you enlist. If that is so, then here is some information I have learned through my son's experience.

When he was getting ready to sign up, we were asking his recruiter to put Ranger on his contract. Now either his recruiter didn't know about being able to do this or did know but didn't want to try to do it, but whatever the case, he told my son that it couldn't be done. The only thing he said he could put into his contract was a contract for Airborne school and that is what he got.

His recruiter went on to say that opportunity for Ranger slots would be offered in Basic and at Airborne school. On this he was correct. However, there were apparently only a limited amount of RASP contracts in Basic, and even though my son scored the highest in his platoon of those wanting RASP, he didn't get a contract in Basic. (No one in his platoon recieved a RASP contract.) He did however meet with the Ranger Liason at Airborne School and filled out the paperwork. It appears that upon graduation of Airborne school he will be put into RASP hold and begin his RASP class sometime in January.

I guess what I'm saying is that if the option 40 is what I think it is, and you don't get it, that doesn't automatically mean you won't get a shot at getting RASP.

One other thing my son was talking about before he got to Airborne school was the possibility of re-upping (sometime later) at his unit with a condition to go to RASP. I don't know if that is a real thing or just a rumor he heard, but it was what he was looking at doing if he didn't get a RASP contract at Airborne school.

I hope this information helps anyone wanting to be an Army Ranger.

Sincerely,
Squidward
USS Memphis SSN-691 1985-1989
US Navy SCUBA Diver, class 87-27-SC
Naval Nuclear Power School, class 8405

Return to “Recruitment Process”