Recruitment Process: Am I on target? (Lengthy)

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
EV22
Embryo

Recruitment Process: Am I on target? (Lengthy)

Post by EV22 »

I've been reading up on how to exactly go about correctly getting a spot at Ranger school.
Before I begin, here's a short background on myself:

Height: 5'8
Weight: 165
Education: Bachelors of Science (Major: Information Systems/not that it matters?)
Military Experience: None
Sports played competitively: Ice Hockey, Lacrosse

This is what I have learned from reading through the forum, please correct me if I am wrong, I want to get this right.

--Head over to the local Army recruiting station, speak with the recruiter and set up an appointment at a local MEPS station. Now this is where the negotiating begins; I will not accept a contract with anything less than 11b with Option 40 (A slot at RASP?), a Max'd cash bonus, Army College Fund, and a few others..

Q.1: Am I not allowed to bring my own transportation to the MEPS station? Or is that a security issue? I have a feeling that after reading many of the people going for 11b option 40 have to wait and show the recruiter they are serious. I"d like to be prepared for this.

Q.2: I've read there are a few stations at the MEPS. I was trying to understand if there is a difference for someone that was going with option 40 versus not? If the only difference is a higher ASVAB score and physical fitness requirements, then I am not worried.

--So, the contract is signed. 11b with Option 40 including full benefits and the shortest contract possible/allowing me to re-negotiate later on. (Optimistically)

--Then the training begins. Basic, to AIT, to Airborne, to RASP? -To Deployment!

Q.3: With Option 40, do I need to still volunteer for RASP at Airborne school? Or is Airborne school something else that needs to be negotiated into my contract?

Q.4: I will admit that I have tried marijuana. There was an incident with me and a few buddies where I was directly seen red handed with the paraphernalia by a police officer. I tried to hide it (no evidence, no case right?) but it was found. Obviously the officer questioned me about it and instead of denying it and getting everyone arrested, I took the heat. Yes, those friends helped me out with everything after the fact. In New Jersey, a first offense allows you into a Conditional Discharge program, which I successfully completed. The next step is to get my record expunged. Will this in any way affect my clearance or stop me from getting a slot at RASP?

I am not trying to be spoonfed anything, but there are a few instances where I feel I may be confused and be screwed out of what I want. I want to be part of the lifestyle that you call being a "Ranger." I understand the 75th is a branch of the US Army, but to me they are completely different from what I have gathered.. In other words, I do not want to join the US Army, I want to become a Ranger. (If that makes sense..)

Thank you for any input or criticism that is needed Rangers.
EV22
Embryo

Re: Recruitment Process: Am I on target? (Lengthy)

Post by EV22 »

FreedomXforAll, thanks for the response. I read through the threads you posted but they don't seem to touch on the fact that a conditional discharge program is a form of pre-trial intervention, which means the court drops the charges..technically anyway.

Aside from that, I have one season left with a competitive team, Does the DEP program work so that I can get the contract drawn up for me so that I can leave for basic as soon as the season is over?
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

EV22 wrote: Aside from that, I have one season left with a competitive team, Does the DEP program work so that I can get the contract drawn up for me so that I can leave for basic as soon as the season is over?
The purpose is to delay your entry until the date you desire. As an example, if you want to enter active duty on 3 January 2011 (this will give you time to celebrate New Year at home) that is certainly something you can negotiate. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
EV22
Embryo

Post by EV22 »

Thank you Ranger Jim,

Yes, I will negotiate exactly what I want.. Is there a way to insist for an 11b versus an 11c? Without a doubt I will take the c, but is there a way to push for the b?

Thanks.

Return to “Recruitment Process”