The PowerPoint rant that got a colonel fired

News posted by members of this site. If you want to publish your own article or have something of value for the front page please indicate it as such.
Before posting make sure it hasn't already been posted. Write a concise and pertinent intro if you are going to post here.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
Check for duplicates before posting, otherwise post it in the original thread. If you want to post an article of your own or find it significant for the front page please let us know. Rangers Lead the Way
DangerClose
Ranger

Post by DangerClose »

I thought this was a pretty good article and the PowerPoint tells a unique story from the perspective of an O6 that for some reason found their nuts. Of course, when the media grabs it and makes a mockery again of the whole 'war on terror' that will be another story but an interesting article indeed...

Excerpt:
Throughout my career I have been known to walk that fine line between good taste and unemployment. I see no reason to change that now.

Consider the following therapeutic. I have been assigned as a staff officer to a headquarters in Afghanistan for about two months. During that time, I have not done anything productive. Fortunately, little of substance is really done here, but that is a task we do well.
Link:
http://www.armytimes.com/news/2010/09/a ... t-090210w/
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Re: The PowerPoint rant that got a colonel fired

Post by rgrpuck »

That power point shit is dangerious....
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

rgrpuck wrote:That power point shit is dangerious....
Concure
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

I like that guy's writing style! He pretty much laid it out there. Good, hard sarcasm.

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Whenever a Soldier at that level speaks out it makes me wonder. What was the motivation? Since he is a Colonel I can offer a 100% Guarantee that this was not his first stint in a staff position and power point has been prevalent since the Mid-90's.... What was the motivation?

What if every Machine-gunner that was having a bad day could complain loud enough to get sent home? What if every medic that came out of a bad day covered in the blood of his comrades could complain loud enough to get sent home?

Where would the Army be? I am sick and tired of these top tier Prima-donnas complaining and moving on. So what, you had a bad day sitting in your hard stand building and someone may have raised their voice to you…GET OVER YOU SLUG! There are Soldiers fighting and dying every day and we pause to heap laudatory comments on some Staff puke who can throw a couple words into a blog.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

Silverback wrote:Whenever a Soldier at that level speaks out it makes me wonder. What was the motivation? Since he is a Colonel I can offer a 100% Guarantee that this was not his first stint in a staff position and power point has been prevalent since the Mid-90's.... What was the motivation?

What if every Machine-gunner that was having a bad day could complain loud enough to get sent home? What if every medic that came out of a bad day covered in the blood of his comrades could complain loud enough to get sent home?

Where would the Army be? I am sick and tired of these top tier Prima-donnas complaining and moving on. So what, you had a bad day sitting in your hard stand building and someone may have raised their voice to you…GET OVER YOU SLUG! There are Soldiers fighting and dying every day and we pause to heap laudatory comments on some Staff puke who can throw a couple words into a blog.
I've got a response, but not for here.

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

EarthPig wrote:I've got a response, but not for here.

RLTW
EP
I am waiting for a PM then
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Lefty
Rest In Peace | Ranger Advisor BDQ

Post by Lefty »

After reading the Times article and his entire rant, all I can say is "DUH!"

Where has this 06 been all his life? What he describes is something that has been going on since VN.
During the last days of my tour I attended several of the II Corps CG morning briefings, which were a little more primitive in technology but identical in content and manner of presentation. Back then the "art of the briefing" was a significant function of staff officers and either boosted or ended careers.

IMO, there was nothing new in his rant. How did he ever attain his rank without being part of the process he so sarcastically denigrates?

I have been out of the loop for virtual centuries, but it sure sounds like the Army I remember.

P.S. I tend to agree with Silverback.
RLTW
Lefty
SFOC 1969
6th SFG(A) 69-70
Ranger Class 13-70
MACV Tm 21 70-71 (2nd ARVN Ranger Gp 23d
BN)
2/13 Armor 1st Cav 71-72

"Experience teaches a dear school, but fools will learn in no other, and some scarce in that"
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

For the record:
1. I do not "Hate" officers.
2. I do hate Leaders who put their needs and comfort ahead of the average fighting Soldier
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Sure, this colonel called it exactly right, but as Lefty pointed out, this is 'how it is' and always has been, the technology only alters the appearance, not the substance. Might as well bitch about everything being painted green.

I wonder how long before he released that that this man knew that he isn't going to make brigadier?
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
Baseplate
Ranger

Post by Baseplate »

It would be cool if the army had the balls to bust him down to private hand him a rifle and send his ass out on patrol. Then he could have something to complain about
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
C-MAC
USAF Veteran

Post by C-MAC »

To an "outsider" it sounds like the Army and business world are not as far apart as I thought. If you remove some of the military lingo and replace it with appropriate business phrases it could represent 90% of the companies I worked for.

Problem here is the mission is much more serious- which is one of the main distinctions between military and civilian situations. If you demoralize someone in the civilian world, they may pack up and leave. If you distract someone or demoralize them in the military it has greater, more profound life-or-death implications. Either way you fail.

So without being disrespectful to the rank I would simply say why think about yourself before the men? Why take the time to write a rant, when perhaps you could have used that time to come up with new ideas to change the process, the battle, tactics or the well-being of those underneath you?

A good leader always takes time to evaluate their situation, reflect on mistakes and make changes they believe will result in improvements. He NEVER puts himself first. Never.

It's a damn shame that one moment of weakness, irrespective of motivation or intent, would destroy an entire career.
If you want to be successful at anything, you'll need to develop a never quit attitude. Don't let life happen to you. Grab it by the throat and make life dance to your tune.
Ranger KW Driver
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

C-MAC wrote: It's a damn shame that one moment of weakness, irrespective of motivation or intent, would destroy an entire career.
Keep in mind, nothing I have read indicates that this guy was the next Patton. He was a staff officer working in some obscure HQ. I am certain it sucked but it is always about perspective. Conducting a Patrol in Baghdad (waiting for the IED) sucks a lot more than making some power point slides. I know because I have executed both missions.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"

Return to “The News Dump”