Introduction - Daniel

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

Dann
Embryo

Introduction - Daniel

Post by Dann »

Greetings Rangers, Veterans, and those who are continuing to serve this beautiful country. I want to say thank you for your service that allowed me to live a free life and be able to type this very post.

My name is Daniel. I have lived my whole life in Virginia and I sure am proud to call The United States of America my home. I'm currently employed at a car dealership and enjoy working. I attended high school up until the 10th grade, when I decided to obtain my GED and head over to community college in order to start ROTC and complete it two years earlier than I normally would have. I have always been debating if I should enlist or go through ROTC, always leaning towards enlisting. I currently have 30 college credits, and I am enrolled in MSI. I have decided to enlist, and I am waiting to hear from my recruiter on the status of him finding me an Option 40 to go in as an 11X (It took a while, but he finally got the point that it was Option 40 or no signature). I have been viewing this forum daily and I am very grateful for it and the time that was taken in writing all of the information that I have found. I have been doing Physical Training exercises daily in order to get in the best shape of my life.

Here is some information about my health:
Height: 5 feet, 6 inches.
Weight: 140 pounds
Diet: I eat everything except for "junk food".
Sleep: Roughly eight hours a night.

I do have access to a local gym. I have not conducted the Physical Training Test in sequence yet, but here are some numbers pulled from different days, but within one week:
Push Ups - 71
Two Mile Run- 13:16

I want to do much better with my running, but my knees and ankles have been causing me a little pain. Not enough that it would keep me from running if I had to, but I do not want to injure myself and to not be able to run for weeks. I would love to gather as much information as I can from all of you Rangers, and hopefully improve both physically and mentally. Thank you very much again for serving this beautiful country, and I am looking forward to reaching my goal of completing the Ranger Assessment and Selection Program.

-Daniel
Elguapo
Ranger

Re: Introduction - Daniel

Post by Elguapo »

Welcome Daniel.

I appreciate you having the cajones to decide you want to stand up for what's right. A question for you though...What is wrong with your knees and ankles that is stopping you from working out? If it's a reoccurring problem that can't get fixed, you just might not be suited (physically) for the job. It's pretty demanding. On the other hand, how badly would you be affected by it if you drove on? Make a wise decision. It sucks to have to live the rest of your life with pain. Many here do.
USAR 04-05
TXARNG 05-Present

OEF 08-09
HOA '12

RS 5-10
Dann
Embryo

Post by Dann »

Ranger Elguapo,

Thank you for your time. Luckily, nothing is seriously wrong, the pain just now started when I began to run harder and faster too soon. I realize this was a mistake on my part, and I must slowly progress. I'm positive that I could continue any physical fitness required without injuring myself. I just would like to change my running pattern for now so my body is used to the abuse.
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Welcome. Your desire to serve our country as an Army Ranger is appreciated. I agree that your pain is probably due to pushing yourself too hard and too fast. Keep us informed of your enlistment progress and be sure to read and heed the ROE PM I have sent you.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
al_2ndWolfhounds
Ranger

Post by al_2ndWolfhounds »

Welcome and thank you for your desire to serve our great country.
RLTW

Active service 01/67-12/73
Ranger Class 10-68
2/27 Inf 25th Inf Div Vietnam 01/69-01/70

"In America, anybody can be president. That's one of the risks you take." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
“The enemy is anybody who’s going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.” – Joseph Heller, Catch-22
Dann
Embryo

Post by Dann »

Ranger ZoneIV, thank you for the welcome. I am from Fairfax sir.
Elguapo
Ranger

Post by Elguapo »

How are your knees holding up Dan?
USAR 04-05
TXARNG 05-Present

OEF 08-09
HOA '12

RS 5-10
Dann
Embryo

Post by Dann »

Ranger Elguapo

I am relieved to find out that the pain was not serious, it was coming from my IT Band. I searched and found a post about some stretches for it as well. I will now start off slow and work my way up so my body is used to the faster running. There isn't much pain anymore, and I'm anxious to get back to running. Thank you sir.
Elguapo
Ranger

Post by Elguapo »

That's good news Dan. I also suffer from IT band problems. Just as you've found here, different stretching techniques can greatly alleviate the pain. Keep up the good work, and stay focused on your goals.
USAR 04-05
TXARNG 05-Present

OEF 08-09
HOA '12

RS 5-10
Dann
Embryo

Post by Dann »

Rangers

Unfortunately I won't be getting my Option 40 contract as soon as I hoped. I found out my college credits will expire in time if I decide to take the contract in January. I will have exactly 42 credits at that time, only 20 shy from obtaining my Associates degree. As much as I want to go now, I realize that the smart thing to do is at least finish another semester or two in order to obtain my degree. Hopefully I will just go ahead and finish my total of four years while I'm at it. This isn't what I want to do right now, but it's something I know I should. I will continue to read all the information on this site, as I have learned very valuable information that has changed me for the better. I have also never been so fit physically and mentally. I thank all Rangers, and other military members who have and are serving this beautiful country. I have no excuses for not being in the best shape of my life when the time does come around. I'm very eager to finish school and obtain my Option 40 contract. Thank you once again Rangers.

-Daniel
Dann
Embryo

Post by Dann »

Rangers

I just wanted to post an update. I recently obtained my associates degree and I am currently enrolled in a four year institution. Thank you

-Daniel

Return to “Introduction Archive”