Triggers

Rifles, Machineguns, Mortars, etc...
C-MAC
USAF Veteran

Triggers

Post by C-MAC »

No not Roy Rodgers horse- that's another thread, ex-girlfriends forum or something??

So I was going to replace the trigger on my Colt m4 style AR. I wanted a two-stage like the Gieselle Combat trigger or the KAC. Reason? Who the hell knows- I thought it might help improve my accuracy/MOA deviation. I spoke to a guy who deals with Colts; he is actually trusted/recommended by Colt. His experience is that triggers are rarely replaced on combat weapons: so don't do it.

Any experience otherwise in this group? Because I want to be properly equipped when New York State is invaded. :lol:
If you want to be successful at anything, you'll need to develop a never quit attitude. Don't let life happen to you. Grab it by the throat and make life dance to your tune.
Ranger KW Driver
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Re: Triggers

Post by Flesh Thorn »

Personally, unless I was building an AR for precision shooting like for hunting or a DMR style, I would just stay with the stock trigger.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Post by IEDmagnet »

x2
A/3/505 PIR, 82nd 96-98
B/2/121 Inf, 48th BCT Iraq 05-06
B/1/118 Inf, 218th BCT Afghan 07

I'm not stupid, I'm crazy...there is a difference.
Dan B 3/75
Ranger

Post by Dan B 3/75 »

His experience is that triggers are rarely replaced on combat weapons: so don't do it.
That's because "combat" weapons are designed to be compatible with fucking mouth breathing retards. The same thing applies to "service" pistols.

They design those things NOT for those that actually take pride in shooting, and are dedicated to developing skill, but for the absolute lowest fucking common denominator who will only receive the most rudimentary training based on the dismal budget and training standards of any "typical" armed agency.

NO professional needs a 7-9lb trigger pull, but than again, there aren't that many professionals who carry firearms for a living.

I'd look into what the dedicated 3-gun shooters are using and go from there.
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

If a single stage trigger will work for you here is a cheaper alternative: http://www.triggerwork.net/ar15.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
abnhawk
Ranger

Post by abnhawk »

the standard AR trigger is fine....to poop on! :lol:

seriously, I hate the standard trigger and cant see any reason to stick with it besides not wanting to spend the money to upgrade. I'd be careful what you go with, as there are some substandard triggers out there. I haven't heard anything bad about the Geissele triggers, but I haven't used them either. I've seen KAC triggers malfunction by double firing on semi. I did a shooting course a couple of years ago with an AR with a 3lb trigger, and the only problem I had was all the shit talking by my friends when I won an end of course competition with it. One thing you may consider is putting a trigger in your AR that closely matches the pull of your trigger in your secondary, if you carry one.
C 3/75 89 -91
RLTW!
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

Flesh Thorn wrote:If a single stage trigger will work for you here is a cheaper alternative: http://www.triggerwork.net/ar15.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I just had a trigger job done on my PTR-91 ( USA made G3 clone) by Bill Springfield of triggerwork.net. I have only dry fired it since I got it back, but he did get all of the slop out and it has a nice clean break at 4.5-5 pounds which is an improvement over the stock 10-12 lbs. I will probably get my AR done next. I have yet to read anything negative about the guy's work and and it is only a 3-4 business day turn around to get your stuff back.
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

GoldCoast
Ranger/Matchmaker

Post by GoldCoast »

abnhawk wrote:the standard AR trigger is fine....to poop on! :lol:

seriously, I hate the standard trigger and cant see any reason to stick with it besides not wanting to spend the money to upgrade. I'd be careful what you go with, as there are some substandard triggers out there. I haven't heard anything bad about the Geissele triggers, but I haven't used them either. I've seen KAC triggers malfunction by double firing on semi. I did a shooting course a couple of years ago with an AR with a 3lb trigger, and the only problem I had was all the shit talking by my friends when I won an end of course competition with it. One thing you may consider is putting a trigger in your AR that closely matches the pull of your trigger in your secondary, if you carry one.
I had a Geissele during my deployment - it worked great on semi and full auto. I only put a few hundred rounds through it, but it fit correctly, and performed smoothly and reliably.

I have experienced double firing on semi with the Colt auto triggers as well, but that was on a Colt M4 that was shot more than it was ever designed to be.
HHC 2/75 (1998- 2000)

Duty a mountain; Death a feather.

One of these days I'll start off slow...

Return to “Weapons of War”