SITREP for Fat_Bastard

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
Fat_Bastard
Egg

SITREP for Fat_Bastard

Post by Fat_Bastard »

Rangers,

I went to the recruiters office today and wanted to update you on my progress with my weight loss and my road to someday becoming a Ranger.

From my first post about 3 months ago I have been working my ass off to lose the weight, it hasn't always been fun and it hasn't always been easy but I'm getting there, back in May I was at 266lbs down from 284lbs in January and could barley do 10 push-ups.

Today I went to the recruiters office and weighed in at 238lbs with 23% body fat and can pump out 40 push-ups. I was super happy that I am now within weight regs to at least dep in and get the ball rolling, bad news is that now there is absolutely no way to get the option 40 without being a citizen which I am still 9 months away from being able to apply for.

I'm really considering joining with an option 4. Being a Ranger is my dream and why I have worked so hard to get this far but now that there is nothing stopping me from joining I feel like I cant wait any longer, I just cant sit on the side lines anymore...

If I do go in option 4 and I truly bust my ass from now until I get to airborne school what are the chances realistically that I could volunteer for RASP? My recruiter is of course telling me that with my focus and determination I'm almost guaranteed to get a spot but I'd like to hear from someone who actually knows what my chances are. If there are normally a few people asked or at least 1 out of almost every class I will be that 1 guy, but if volunteers are only asked for out of maybe 1 in every 5 classes, it will make my decision a lot harder.

Thanks for any help in advance, I truly appreciate any advice or info anyone has to give.

(slightly skinnier) Fat_Bastard

P.S The reason I should be able to volunteer after airborne school is that my recruiter told me that you are now able to file you naturalization paperwork when you ship to basic and have your citizenship by the time you graduate, I'm still trying to research this and make sure it is true but he sounded fairly sincere in telling me about it.
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Re: SITREP for Fat_Bastard

Post by K.Ingraham »

I used to mentor another "fat bastard". He went in before he lost enough weight, and more importantly, before he achieved enough fundimental, core fitness and strength. Despite having made good progress - great progress in terms of his start point - at the completion of OSUT he had passed the PT test with what seemed to be enough slack to get by, he still failed the airborne PT test and never got his chance to even go to jump school.

My 2c worth is that you don't rush in on a hope that you get a shot at RASP. You are not at a level of fitness that will allow you to get the 300+ scores that can earn you a slot from OSUT without a contract. Don't grasp at straws and rush - hold out for the Opt40 and use the nine months to make fitness a true habit and lifestyle. It only gets harder after you pass RASP.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
RANGER513
Ranger

Post by RANGER513 »

K.Ingraham wrote:I used to mentor another "fat bastard". He went in before he lost enough weight, and more importantly, before he achieved enough fundimental, core fitness and strength. Despite having made good progress - great progress in terms of his start point - at the completion of OSUT he had passed the PT test with what seemed to be enough slack to get by, he still failed the airborne PT test and never got his chance to even go to jump school.

My 2c worth is that you don't rush in on a hope that you get a shot at RASP. You are not at a level of fitness that will allow you to get the 300+ scores that can earn you a slot from OSUT without a contract. Don't grasp at straws and rush - hold out for the Opt40 and use the nine months to make fitness a true habit and lifestyle. It only gets harder after you pass RASP.

Darn good advice right there, Wildman.

If ANYONE thinks they have crossed the finish line upon completion of RASP, they are in for a very rude ( Spec 4 Mafia ) awakening !!!!

Just like Ranger Ingraham said, make physical fitness a HUGE part of your lifestyle and never take your eyes off of the goal.

And most important....... NEVER QUIT !!
C Co 2/75
1986 - 1992
RS Class 9-87

RLTW

" The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena............ "
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Welcome. Follow Ranger K.Ingraham's advice. Be sure to read and heed the ROE PM I have sent you.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
Fat_Bastard
Egg

Post by Fat_Bastard »

Thank you Ranger K.Ingraham and Ranger RANGER513

First of all sorry for not getting back sooner I have not had readily available access to the Internet as of late.

I deeply value both of your advice however I am at the point in my life where I no longer wish to idly sit by and wait to take action. I would rather join and be regular infantry and have the opportunity to go and fight for the country that has given me so much, than have to wait any longer to hopefully get an opt. 40 later down the road.

I went to meps last week and scored a 95 on my asvab with a GT of 134 and passed both the regular physical and the airborne physical. I was told that no airborne contracts were available or are being attached to 11x for the whole of the new fiscal recruiting year so I signed up for a straight 11x with a ship date of 20110201.

In saying that I'm not giving up! I spoke with my step-father who gave me the advice that if I truly work at and am 100% committed to being in the very best physical shape I can be before I ship then by the end of OSUT I will get the chance to volunteer and will deserve it far more than if I had gotten my contract before I left. I am PT'ing every day, running Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday and swimming the days between to make this happen.

I will do everything that I can to make it into the 75th but should I not get the opportunity at the end of OSUT I will still be a U.S soldier either way and I will be proud to fight for my country.
rgrwest
Ranger

Post by rgrwest »

Fat_Bastard wrote:Thank you Ranger K.Ingraham and Ranger RANGER513

First of all sorry for not getting back sooner I have not had readily available access to the Internet as of late.

I deeply value both of your advice however I am at the point in my life where I no longer wish to idly sit by and wait to take action. I would rather join and be regular infantry and have the opportunity to go and fight for the country that has given me so much, than have to wait any longer to hopefully get an opt. 40 later down the road.

I went to meps last week and scored a 95 on my asvab with a GT of 134 and passed both the regular physical and the airborne physical. I was told that no airborne contracts were available or are being attached to 11x for the whole of the new fiscal recruiting year so I signed up for a straight 11x with a ship date of 20110201.

In saying that I'm not giving up! I spoke with my step-father who gave me the advice that if I truly work at and am 100% committed to being in the very best physical shape I can be before I ship then by the end of OSUT I will get the chance to volunteer and will deserve it far more than if I had gotten my contract before I left. I am PT'ing every day, running Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday and swimming the days between to make this happen.

I will do everything that I can to make it into the 75th but should I not get the opportunity at the end of OSUT I will still be a U.S soldier either way and I will be proud to fight for my country.

Son, sure glad you asked for advice and then shit all over the responses.

Now you are entering the service as an "unassigned Infantryman", can you say welcome to 3rd Infantry Division! Hope you like large clanky metal objects because that's where you are heading.

Best of luck in your future endeavors. No need to reply to me, I won't read your drivel any more.
Rgrwest
RC 13-87
C Co, 1-504 PIR, 84-89
B Co, 5th RTB, 89-92
A, 1-501 (ABN), 93-95
C, 2-11 INF (IOBC), 95-98
HHC, 1-509 PIR, 98-02
USASMA, 02- Instructor
OIF I - Feb 03-Jul 03 (Attached OPS SGM)
USASMA, 04 - Student
HHC, 1-30 INF, 3-3 ID, 04-06 (OPS SGM)
OPSGRP, JRTC, 06-07 (TF SGM)
G3, SETAF (Vicenza, Italy) 07-09 (G3 SGM)
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Apparently you made a realistic appraisal of your capabilities.

Welcome to the Army.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
ma91c1an
Triple Canopy

Post by ma91c1an »

Congratulations on signing up, and good job, losing all of that weight. Keep it up.

There is nothing wrong with being realistic, and serving as an infantryman is eminently honorable.

I personally appreciate your willingness to sacrifice and serve. Not everyone is cut out to make it straight into a Ranger Battalion. The Army needs straight leg grunts, too.

Like your father said: you can volunteer later, or you can reenlist for service in Regiment after you have some experience under your belt.
-------
Classes 12, 13, and 14-81.
Company A, 2d Battalion (Ranger), 1st Platoon, "Bad 'Muthers," 1980-1984;
SFQC 4-84.
Company B, 2d Battalion, 1st Special Forces Group (Airborne), ODA 151, 1984-1986.

Return to “Recruitment Process”