Intro- Matthew

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

MattPJA
Embryo

Intro- Matthew

Post by MattPJA »

Hi all, my name is Matthew and like alot of people that come to this board, I wish to achieve the Ranger tab someday.
What separates me from everybody else trying to do the same thing? Probably not much, but that means spit. I was a nerd most of my life, out of shape most of my life, I was home-schooled and never got to participate in High School level sports.

I couldn't do a single pullup last year, I can do 14 on a good day now. (pt scores below)
Pullups: 14 (only 12 with palms facing away)
Pushups in 2m: 55
Situps in 2m: 59
2mi Run: 14:41

I've learned alot about training and nutrition, currently I'm undergoing a training plan from stewsmith.com.

I have always wanted to serve in the military to some degree, a quote from Ronald Regan sums up my thoughts "Most people spend their whole lives wondering if they've made a difference, the Marines don't have that problem".

More than that, something changed in my life about a year ago. Funny or not, my drivers ed teacher was a Navy Seal in Vietnam. He changed the way I looked at things, and over the past year I've slowly been turning my eye to infantry or special ops.

I'm training everyday, I graduated High School and currently studying for CLEP tests/ASVAB and plan on taking college courses in the winter. I have braces on and they will be off in a little less than 2 years(I'm 18 now, will be 20 August 2012).

This means that I have from now until I decide to go to the recruiter next year to push myself and ace the PFT, and ace the ASVAB. My plan is to enter on DEP with my braces, so hopefully by the time they're off I'll get shipped out quickly.

Before I end my introduction I'd like to thank you for your service and for creating this website. -Matthew
Earthpig
Ranger

Re: Intro- Matthew

Post by Earthpig »

Welcome to the site, Matthew, and thanks for your interest in our community.

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
al_2ndWolfhounds
Ranger

Post by al_2ndWolfhounds »

Welcome and thank you for your interest in serving our great Country.
RLTW

Active service 01/67-12/73
Ranger Class 10-68
2/27 Inf 25th Inf Div Vietnam 01/69-01/70

"In America, anybody can be president. That's one of the risks you take." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
“The enemy is anybody who’s going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.” – Joseph Heller, Catch-22
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

A tip... If you have a home school H.S. Diploma, you will probably need 15 college credits to enlist.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
Ranger Ron
Ranger/LRRP/Admin

Post by Ranger Ron »

Welcome to ArmyRanger.com and thanks for your interest in serving our great country. Please read and heed the ROE document I sent you by PM (Private Message).
SUA SPONTE - "We few, we happy few, we BAND OF BROTHERS;
for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother!"
- Shakespeare

RLTW! - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave

RS 3-70
SSG VN 69-70
I Co., 75th. Inf.
4/9 Inf., 25th ID

Mentored Ranger kozzman555
http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 183
http://www.ranger.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 3537
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Welcome. It seems you have a decent plan. Now it's up to you to make it work.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
MattPJA
Embryo

Post by MattPJA »

Hello again; I'm looking for some advice from a Soldier's point of view.

It's been a year since my last introduction, and I'll make this update curt as to not waste your time.

I turn 20 in August 2012, and my braces are scheduled to be off sometime in 2012.
I did very well at a blue-collar job, but left to go to school full-time.

I have been running on the cross country team (division III), and improved my running times accordingly:

2 mile: 11:51
3 mile: 19:20
5 mile: 32:19 in snow, hills, and mud.

I've kept myself in line-- but I did receive a speeding ticket (mistake on my part, and it won't happen again).

Goal:
Military: To serve as a combat medic in the Rangers.
Post/Pre Military: To be a flight paramedic.

Question:
I'm going to school full-time, and I'm taking an EMT-Basic course in January.
I have the option of entering my school's paramedic program in Fall 2013, and in the meantime I am taking gen-eds/EMT courses/getting a part-time job as an EMT.

Which would you advise:
Joining the military a year from now (after the fall semester) and going in with an EMT-B cert/better PT.

Or joining the military 3-4 years from now, and have experience as a paramedic/be a PT stud.

Thank you for your time, and your service, -Matthew
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

RFR certification, which you get in RASP, is the equivelant of somewhere between EMT-B and EMT-I (not quite an EMT-I, but you do IV sticks, nasal pharangeals, etc. that you don't do in EMT-B). If you are going in as a medic, you will doing SOCM which is at or above the EMT-P level. So, honestly you will have to do this training in the military regardless, whats the point of doing it as a civilian too? And instead of paying for it, you will be payed to do it in the army. Just my thoughts.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Intro- Matthew

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site, Matt.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

And actually, just remembered that as a Medic you get EMT-B certified in AIT anyways. And from what I found online, you leave SOCM as a nationally registered USSOCOM EMT-P.
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010

Return to “Introduction Archive”