Vibram Five Fingers

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
Baseplate
Ranger

Re: Vibram Five Fingers

Post by Baseplate »

MattPJA wrote:@Silverback
I was aiming at the validity of the training itself, considering that running shoes are a "new" convention.

I'd tend to agree with you about the prices, but the feel of Chuck Taylors isn't really the same as a Vibram.
I'm not saying that Vibrams aren't overpriced either, you pretty much pay $80 for an over-engineered pair of neoprene dipped toesocks.

Toesocks= $12
Neoprene dip=$10

Total= $22
So, $58 dollar premium?
I think I will take my running advice from someone who runs faster than a 15 minute 2 mile.
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
mortar_guy78
Ranger

Post by mortar_guy78 »

ZoneIV wrote:
MattPJA wrote:@Silverback
This is not FaceBook or Twitter. The "@Silverback" crap is not the proper way to address a Ranger on this site. You have been sent a PM regarding how things are done on this site and how to address Rangers. Read and heed these instructions.
Dammit, you got there first. :P
HHC 4/64 AR '97-'99
HHC 1/75 RGR '99-'01
HHC 1/508 ABCT '01-'04
C co, HHC 2/1 IN '04-'07
C co, B co 1/24 IN '07-'11
D co 308th MI '12-'15
7th SFG(A) MICO '15-'18
C co 308th MI '18-Present

Keep your mind in hell and despair not.

THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
Nomad
Ranger

Post by Nomad »

I have a pair of FF shoes and my thoughts are this:

They're awesome for working out, if you're in a gym style environment and you're doing a lot of leg work. CF is a good kind of WO to us FF for.

I do not like running in them at all. I use a pair of Nike Free's to run in. I don't wear socks and they feel very close to a natural gait but without tearing my feet up on gravel, sand etc.
The Holmchicken
Ranger

Post by The Holmchicken »

Many people considered Crossfit and functional fitness a fad. Many people consider the Vibrams a fad. I think for general, everyday use they will fall out of favor for most people. For those who take their fitness seriously, these will be a staple for many years. I've never used them but most people that I know who have them, love them. The only thing I can say is wear them for excerising or recovery. Wearing them to a party makes you a homo.
2/75 97-00

It's not that I'm lazy........it's that I don't care

75th RRA
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

wearing them to a party is about as cool as wearing ACU's to a movie theatre. oh, but oh wait, apparently where I live now that's the cool thing to do...
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
deathtaco
Tadpole

Post by deathtaco »

Bigboybob,

These shoes are all part of the "barefoot running" craze going around. The main problem with these those is their major selling point - there's nothing between you and the ground. Often your foot will take a beating with these shoes. I'd recommend them for lifting, but I'd just as soon say buying a $20 pair of Converse will serve you the same purpose.

I'd recommend either Nike Frees or Newton Running Shoes if you're trying to improve your running form. The 5-fingers are great for climbing, lifting, trail running even - but short of that I'd say get a more practical shoe that will train you to run right, without sacrificing stability or possibly injuring yourself.

Good Luck,
Taco

*PS: I own a pair of Newtons. My running feels more efficient and I don't have any aches after running.
"To lead, you must first learn to follow."
blackbird777
US Army Veteran

Post by blackbird777 »

only hippies wear them
theblackknight
USMC

Post by theblackknight »

The mind is a like a parachute.
Amateurs talk hardware, Professionals talk software.
theblackknight
USMC

Post by theblackknight »

mine was packed with the classic kitchen utensils and underwear.
Amateurs talk hardware, Professionals talk software.
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

Some of the other manufactures have came out with their own barefoot style footwear plus they don't look as odd as the Five Fingers. Here is the 2011 line from Merrell. I am tempted to try a pair of the trail runners.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
The Holmchicken
Ranger

Post by The Holmchicken »

I guess Big Army had enough of something different.

Subject: ALARACT 241/2011 - MODIFYING WEAR OF IMPROVED PHYSICAL FITNESS UNIFORM (IPFU)
Originator: /C=US/O=U.S.
GOVERNMENT/OU=DOD/OU=ARMY/OU=ORGANIZATIONS/L=CONUS/L=WASHINGTON DC/OU=DA PENTAGON TELECOMMUNICATIONS(UC)/OU=ALARACT RELEASE AUTHORITY(UC)
DTG: 232122Z Jun 11
Precedence: ROUTINE
DAC: General
To: /C=US/O=U.S. GOVERNMENT/OU=DOD/OU=AUTODIN PLAS/OU=AIG 6-AZ/OU=ALARACT /C=US/O=U.S. GOVERNMENT/OU=DOD/OU=ARMY/OU=ORGANIZATIONS/OU=ADDRESS
LISTS/CN=AL ALARACT(UC)
--------------------------------------------------
UNCLASSIFIED//
THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN SENT BY THE PENTAGON TELECOMMUNICATIONS CENTER ON BEHALF OF DA WASHINGTON DC//DAPE-HRI//
SUBJECT: MODIFYING WEAR OF IMPROVED PHYSICAL FITNESS UNIFORM (IPFU) 1. THE PURPOSE OF THIS MESSAGE IS TO MODIFY THE EXISTING WEAR POLICY FOR THE IPFU.
2. THERE ARE A VARIETY OF MINIMALIST RUNNING SHOES AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE AND WEAR. EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY, ONLY THOSE SHOES THAT ACCOMMODATE ALL FIVE TOES IN ONE COMPARTMENT ARE AUTHORIZED FOR WEAR. THOSE SHOES THAT FEATURE FIVE SEPARATE, INDIVIDUAL COMPARTMENTS FOR THE TOES, DETRACT FROM A PROFESSIONAL MILITARY IMAGE AND ARE PROHIBITED FOR WEAR WITH THE IPFU OR WHEN CONDUCTING PHYSICAL TRAINING IN MILITARY FORMATION. THIS CHANGE WILL BE REFLECTED IN THE NEXT UPDATE OF AR 670-1.
3. HQDA POC FOR UNIFORM POLICY IS
4. EXPIRATION: THIS MESSAGE EXPIRES UPON NEXT PUBLICATION OF AR 670-1.
5. EXPIRATION CANNOT BE DETERMINED.
2/75 97-00

It's not that I'm lazy........it's that I don't care

75th RRA
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

I bought a pair of the Merrell Trail Gloves out of necessity. I suffered a big toe injury and have been unable to wear just about any shoes or boots. The Trail Gloves didn't cause pain when I tried them on so I bought them.The toe box fits my feet well. I walked in them for a couple of weeks and finally got around to running in them. They remind me of wearing moccasins except with better traction. I am not ready to start serving the kool-aid yet, but I have not experienced beat up feet or any other speculative injuries with the exception of sore calves. Of course I am slower in them and anyone needs to ease into it and give your body time to adjust. AS for you DEPs, stick to regular running shoes ! Those are what you will be wearing for PT and you need to learn to run in them.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:

Return to “About Army Physical Training”