Vibram Five Fingers

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
Silverback
Ranger

Re: Vibram Five Fingers

Post by Silverback »

I was trying to highlight one important fact that is often overlooked. If it isn't broke don't fix it.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

Silverback wrote:I was trying to highlight one important fact that is often overlooked. If it isn't broke don't fix it.
Most would agree that allowing freedom of movement and articulation is good for our bodies when we train, so why is binding our feet shoes and boots so that our feet do not function and articulate as nature intended correct ? Considering all of the foot, leg, knee, and hip problems we have I am not convinced that things are not broken as far as shoes go.

The photos in this article demonstrate the difference in our stride with shoes v. barefoot. Article.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
BigboyBob
Tadpole

Post by BigboyBob »

Hmm...I started quite the discussion

Unfortunately, I'm now more indecisive in regards to buying them or not! :?

Thanks Rangers for y'alls advice, it is your's that I value the most in regards to matters like these. I definitely enjoyed the humor in the thread.

I think the only thing unanimously agreed upon is how ridiculous they look!
Mentee to Ranger Invictus

"Never was anything great achieved without danger."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."
-Socrates

Ship Date: 20110104
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

BigboyBob wrote:Hmm...I started quite the discussion
Shut the fuck up! If we were all in agreement then that wouldn't be any fun. :D
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

jrgong wrote:Do you have any knee or hip pain today? Did you suffer from shin splints? Perhaps wearing these type of shoes might have solved those problems for you.
You are assuming I had/have problems? I have no knee problems, hip problems or anything else. I have back issues but that is because I fractured my back on my seventh jump...other than that...nothing.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
shootingman99
Embryo

Post by shootingman99 »

Rangers and others,

I think you would enjoy the book "Born to Run." It's all about why barefoot running is so much better for you, and a very entertaining read. Vibrams are basically barefoot running with slight protection. I ran with my regular running shoes but modified my foot stride to land on the balls of my feet instead of heels....it felt strange but no more shin splints literally instantly when I had terrible ones before.

Shootingman99
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

shootingman99 wrote:Rangers and others,

I think you would enjoy the book "Born to Run." It's all about why barefoot running is so much better for you, and a very entertaining read. Vibrams are basically barefoot running with slight protection. I ran with my regular running shoes but modified my foot stride to land on the balls of my feet instead of heels....it felt strange but no more shin splints literally instantly when I had terrible ones before.

Shootingman99
I think you would enjoy reading the Ranger hanbook and until you have lived the creed nobody is too concerned about your opinion.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Baseplate
Ranger

Post by Baseplate »

Silverback wrote:
shootingman99 wrote:Rangers and others,

Shootingman99
I think you would enjoy reading the Ranger hanbook and until you have lived the creed nobody is too concerned about your opinion.

HA Burn
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
MattPJA
Embryo

Post by MattPJA »

I have a pair of Vibrams that I use about 1/3rd of the time compared to my running shoes.

Most barefoot running hippies will say that the point of running barefoot is to teach you how to run and use the nerves in the feet and build up calluses and such, so wearing so much as socks or even Vibrams defeats the point in their eyes.

I'm not a hippie, and I don't feel like getting a bunch of rocks jammed inbetween my toes and getting blistered ripped up feet when I go for a run.

I personally like them to a degree because they help strengthen your legs in certain areas that shoes simply don't.

The only thing I'd like to point out, is that running shoes have only been around for about 40 years I think, before that everybody wore Chuck Taylors, and before Chuck Taylors, sandals?
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

MattPJA wrote:The only thing I'd like to point out, is that running shoes have only been around for about 40 years I think, before that everybody wore Chuck Taylors, and before Chuck Taylors, sandals?
Vibram Five fingers - $80.00 range
Teva Sandals - $40.00 range
Chuck Taylors - $20.00 range

So here's is my overarching point, why not buy the less expensive alternatives? unless you are a slave to fashion...
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
MattPJA
Embryo

Post by MattPJA »

@Silverback
I was aiming at the validity of the training itself, considering that running shoes are a "new" convention.

I'd tend to agree with you about the prices, but the feel of Chuck Taylors isn't really the same as a Vibram.
I'm not saying that Vibrams aren't overpriced either, you pretty much pay $80 for an over-engineered pair of neoprene dipped toesocks.

Toesocks= $12
Neoprene dip=$10

Total= $22
So, $58 dollar premium?

Return to “About Army Physical Training”