Insight Request - Starting new pushup program

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
Petey488
Embryo

Insight Request - Starting new pushup program

Post by Petey488 »

Hello Rangers,

I am a current DEP in as a 25c Option 40 contract. This is something that I have always dreamed of doing and I plan in no way to screw up this opportunity up and as a result I am training myself to show up to RASP in the best possible shape I can be in. Currently I ship out to basic Oct 4 and then I have 13 weeks of AIT. As a result I have around 9 months until RASP and I plan on not wasting any time in between. Currently I seem to be stuck at 60 push ups. I do not have access to weights (monetary reasons) and only have a pull up bar as well as some resistance bands. So as of now I am stuck at doing body weight exercises.

Anyways, I was looking into starting this new push up program. It essentially has be doing push ups every hour of every day for 2 weeks. After that you take a 2 week break and do your own push up workout, and then you proceed to follow the program again with your new push up max. Here is a glance at the program. (RI stands for the percent of my max, and SF stands for the amount of time in between sets)

WEEK 1

Mon: 100% test, relative intensity (RI) 30% Set frequency (SF) 60 min
Tues: RI 50% SF 60 min
Wed: RI 60% SF 45 min
Thurs: RI 25% SF 60 min
Fri: RI 45% SF 30 min
Sat: RI 40% SF 60 min
Sun: RI 20% SF 90 min

WEEK 2

Mon: 100% test RI 35% SF 45min
Tues: RI 55% SF 20 min
Wed: RI 30% SF 15 min
Thurs: RI 65% SF 60min
Fri: RI 35% SF 45 min
Sat: RI 45% SF 60 min
Sun: RI 25% SF120 min

WEEK 3

Mon: 100% test

My question is, do you think this program as well as a pull up program will help me prepare to max my pt test before basic? Or will this just burn out my muscles. Time is not an issue with this because I don't care where I am, if I have to do push ups in the middle of a supermarket I will not let that stand between myself and my goal. Also should I focus on biceps and triceps as primary muscles too? I have no clue if muscular endurance or muscular strength will help me out more in achieving my goal.

Lastly, I was wondering if anyone had any advice as to how to stay in shape during my 13 weeks AIT. My recruiter, who is a 25 series and a Ranger, stated that it will be hard to find time to stay in shape during AIT. I'm just worried I might lose all my gains as I am someone that isn't naturally athletic and has always had to work hard to succeed at the things I do.

Thank you Rangers for your time and insight
Petey488
Embryo

Re: Insight Request - Starting new pushup program

Post by Petey488 »

ZoneIV wrote:So how did you come up with this? I find this simply amazing and have never seen anything like it but then again I am a FOG. Are you such a finely tuned and calibrated athlete that you have the abiliy to vary the intensity of your pushup workout in 5% increments?

I didn't come up with this, it's call the "Evil Russian - Drop and give me 100 workout." And I'm sorry I don't really understand what you mean by varying intensity. Are you talking about how it jumps from 45% to 40%? That just means that the one day I would do 45% of my max, which is 27 and then the next I would do 40%, which is 24. Thank you for your response also sir.
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

Petey, I am familiar with the Evil Russian stuff. Trying to keep on schedule throughout the day is probably going to be the tuff part. I know you feel that ZoneIV is your buddy and all and that is why you didn't reply to him as Ranger ZoneIV.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
NeverSayDie
Tadpole

Post by NeverSayDie »

Petey488,

PM Inbound.
Last edited by NeverSayDie on July 27th, 2010, 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mentee to Ranger K.Ingraham

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Post by IEDmagnet »

ZoneIV wrote: Oh yeah.....I am not one of your buddies.

Bwahahahahahaha!!!!!!! :mrgreen:
A/3/505 PIR, 82nd 96-98
B/2/121 Inf, 48th BCT Iraq 05-06
B/1/118 Inf, 218th BCT Afghan 07

I'm not stupid, I'm crazy...there is a difference.
Petey488
Embryo

Post by Petey488 »

Well, I just wanted to post an update if any Rangers our there care to see my progress (probably not though haha). Anyways, after finishing a week of this program I have increased my max by 5, something that used to take me months to do. As a result, I am pretty excited to see what the next week will do to help me. Also, Sorry Ranger ZoneIV, I meant no disrespect.
gillieman03
Embryo

Post by gillieman03 »

By no means am I a Ranger and I will try and refraim from getting out of line but I will tell you what my push up program was that helped me achieve really good results. Go to military fitness and look at the push up push workout and pull up push workout and follow those two workouts to a KEY. Lets say on monday you did 10 sets of max pull ups, 20 push ups, 10 dips and 30 abs... increase each of those by either 5 or 10 reps (always try and go for one more pull up after every set; you'll see an increase in the last sets BEFORE you even see an increase in your first few sets)

I started that program with 30 push ups and 20 dips and by the end of the first week i was doing 40 reps. After your second week test yourself like they tell you too.. wait a few weeks and make sure your doing push ups EVERYOTHER day making sure your doing 300+ push ups in a workout. After its been a couple weeks start that program over again BUT with a weighted backpack (textbooks, weights.. sand) try not to go too heavy but make it difficult because it is. I started it out with 25lbs and 10 sets of 20 reps. If you can increase your reps by 3 - 5 for the workouts (I did 5 and worked good) but on your rest days tuesdays and thursdays dont use a backpack, do what it says on the even days (do how every many pushups throughout the day)

after 2 weeks with the back pack test yourself again. Then start the next-level of pushups on that same site, and do that program for a month and see how you do. Make sure you follow the next-level of push up program to a KEY... if you feel like you can't do another set lets say you just finished 6 sets and your dead and don't think you can do another.. do ONE more. Send me a PM with any questions and let me know how it goes. Make sure your doing the pushups PERFECTLY, no bobbing or looking like a worm and trying to do your pushups as quick as possible. Attention to detail will serve you well as I have been put in my place a number of times on these forums, because the lack of.

Like I said before I am NOT a Ranger and I know for a fact the Rangers on this site have A LOT more insight than I do on working out, this is just a program I did and what worked well for me. This site has a SHIT ton of valuable information (A SHIT TON) and just do your homework, make sure your also have a good back routine and leg routine, look on here for some good PT sessions to add in for some excellent cardio or just research your own endurnace program... there's enough on this site to get you going and more... Ranger Nomand has some AMAZING PT workouts that you should do, don't read them just do them.

Go read Ranger cdwdirect's Thread about RIP or RASP, READ IT...

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=21739" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Holmchicken
Ranger

Post by The Holmchicken »

gillieman,
When the topics on this website include how to pass a drug test, then feel free to wade in there, Cheech. Until then, stop dispensing advice. To anyone. On anything. No one cares. Shut the fuck up.
2/75 97-00

It's not that I'm lazy........it's that I don't care

75th RRA

Return to “About Army Physical Training”