2 mile Improvement

Basic & AIT
FreshMeat
Future Soldier Mod/ Opt40

2 mile Improvement

Post by FreshMeat »

Rangers, I was curious as to how much time if any at all did OSUT take off of your 2 mile PT test? I asked my recruiters and they all said about a minute. I also asked my good buddy who just got out of the Corp and he said his basic took almost 2 minutes off of his 3 mile time. Im going to show up in the best shape possible. I was just hoping that OSUT is at a good enough pace to push me even further and will improve my 2 mile time.

Josef
Ship Date - 20100915

Mentee to Ranger HakweeRgr
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Re: 2 mile Improvement

Post by IEDmagnet »

I've found that the best way to improve your run time is to push yourself when you run. Don't take the easy way and remain comfortable during PT. It has to hurt some. Another good thing to do is run sprints, which will build you up some.

Always remember my favorite Jem too, "It's gonna hurt if you run fast, it's gonna hurt if you run slow. So run fast and get it over with."
A/3/505 PIR, 82nd 96-98
B/2/121 Inf, 48th BCT Iraq 05-06
B/1/118 Inf, 218th BCT Afghan 07

I'm not stupid, I'm crazy...there is a difference.
Baseplate
Ranger

Post by Baseplate »

When I arrived a basic training I ran a mid 15 two mile. When I graduated I was running a low 12. When you fist get to basic you will all run in a group slow as hell. then you will be split into ability groups. Usually slow, medium and hard. Make sure you always get into the group that gives you the most challenge without you having to fall out and walk for the next 45 minutes. It does you no good to be in a group that is running so fast that you fall out after 5 minutes and the same goes for being in the deadass slow group where you run so slow it actually hurts. there are going to be times where you do circuit training as well where you jog from station to station. Sprint to each station my personal techneque was to get so pissed off at everyone around me that I either ran fast or just punched them in the nose (they don't like it when you punch other privates without thier permission).
Or the better answer is just run all the time run. If you get to week 10 or so and you haven't gotten close to where you need to be on your run. You are probably fucked because after that there is less PT and more actual training. There happy?
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
FreshMeat

Post by FreshMeat »

Ranger Baseplate, Thank you!!! That is exactly what I was looking and that is also how I plan to tackle OSUT. My 2 mile time right now is almost at 14 minute's flat. I was hoping that there would be some way like you explained to push myself, so I could take some more time off of the 2 mile run.

Ranger ZoneIV, Thank you very much for your time and response.

IEDmagnet US Army Veteran, Thank you very much.
Ship Date - 20100915

RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

My runs sucked when I started OSUT. If you have the chance, try being a road guard. Doing this had major impact on my run times, sprinting ability, etc.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
FreshMeat

Post by FreshMeat »

RangerX, Thank you for your time and post. However please excuse my ignorance. What is a Road Guard? Either way you said it helped you, so Ill be volunteering for it.
Ship Date - 20100915

IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Post by IEDmagnet »

Road Guards are soldiers that wear reflective vest during the runs. They ensure that the road doesn't up and leave before or after the unit passes. Roads in that area of Georgia are known to move themselves to make the path go on forever.

On a serious note, they control traffic for the unit's safety. Lots of sprinting, lots of extra work, but it is good for you. I did it as an NCO just to get the sprinting in cause I hated slow ass company runs.
A/3/505 PIR, 82nd 96-98
B/2/121 Inf, 48th BCT Iraq 05-06
B/1/118 Inf, 218th BCT Afghan 07

I'm not stupid, I'm crazy...there is a difference.
FreshMeat

Post by FreshMeat »

US Army Veteran IEDmagnet, Thank you for your time and response. I will be volunteering for this for sure. The extra sprints should help my cardio dramtically while Im at OSUT. Also it has to be a prestigious calling to be a Road Gaurd, Being that a road can up and disappear. That could lead to some pretty big problems.

Josef
Ship Date - 20100915

Return to “About OSUT”