Recruitment Question

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
Baseplate
Ranger

Re: Recruitment Question

Post by Baseplate »

If you want the Opt. 40 you should hold out. To me it sounds like the recruiter is trying to plus up his numbers for this month.
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

I would not recommend signing any contract that does not give you the option you want. Do not get involved with maybe aspect of contracting. It is feasible that Ranger contracts are not forecasted this far out but I am not sure.

If you want an OPT-40 then sign an OPT-40
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Post by IEDmagnet »

Reno'in is not as easy as he's trying to sell it. Do like these wise gentlemen are telling you, they're right.

<----Former BS artist (.aka recruiter)
A/3/505 PIR, 82nd 96-98
B/2/121 Inf, 48th BCT Iraq 05-06
B/1/118 Inf, 218th BCT Afghan 07

I'm not stupid, I'm crazy...there is a difference.
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

Opt. 40 contracts, until just the last couple days, were closed except for some of the support E co. support MOS jobs that are hard for Regiment to fill. But today they had 11x opt. 40's available again, and there was like 7 13F opt. 40s available, which were all gone by the end of the day. here's the situation for all that are curious: USAREC has filled its "mission" for this fiscal year and are 20,000 deep into next years mission. have fun trying to be a tough guy with an organization that doesn't need you. BUT, things become available randomly (like today), so you need to stay on top of your shit and hold out for what you want. the need for Rangers is never going to end, it just might not be on the system the particular week or month your trying to sign a contract. One kid in our office today wanted Ranger medic, we got him 68w, and I printed out the AIT application for him in case opt. 40 for 68w doesnt come back in between now and when he leaves (which it should). shitty thing is, he's a good kid, in good shape, and has about 2 years of college knocked out, would be the kind of guy i could see working in Batt. I really hope it works out for him. What I am getting at though, is that your recruiter probably isn't lying to you if he says opt. 40 isnt available, you just have to remember all that means is its not available Right Now.

On a side note, does anyone else on here feel that we should start setting some pre-reqs besides ASVAB test scores to get an opt. 40? I would like to see a requirement to score atleast a 250 on a PT test before giving out an opt. 40. I know we all know the guys who took an opt. 40 just to get an airborne slot or they took one with the attitude of "well if i make it, i make it, if i don't, i don't". I think this is bullshit and is taking slots from the guys who deserve them. The air force administers a PAST test to its prospective PJ's and CCT before they get it in there contract, the marines make you pass a test and then go before a board before you get a recon slot, and i'm not sure what the navy does with there bud/s guys, but I believe they do have some sort of pre-req. Just a thought....
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

Well, that is a valid thought process on the issue, but the way I see it, and the way RASP is set up now with a board and everything, is it just gives the cadre a better lot to chose from. And if there is a vetting process out there for opt. 40's, than thats ok that there isnt as many 40s available, because than you know the guys who are taking them deserve them, unlike now where its probably half and half. That solves the issue of the kid who cant do 10 push ups getting a slot and the kid who can score a 300 right off the bat not getting one because the other kid got into MEPS that morning faster. And as far as recruiters handing them out: if it is available, the applicant asks for it, and there qualified, you have to give it to them (and thats my problem). also, heres the other thing: most recruiters out there have no fucking clue if someone would make a good Ranger or not, unless its obvious (there fat, or there an all state wrestler). You wonder why so many kids come on here asking if opt. 40 means they get to go to Ranger School? alot of recruiters think that thats the case. so no wonder.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
August
Embryo

Post by August »

Pat89 wrote:Rangers,
So my situation is that I am wanting to DEP with an Opt. 40 and deploy next summer after I graduate college. My recruiters told me that when they talked with the ROC, they said there were not contracts online for that far in advance (he mentioned they would come online in October/November). Is this a correct statement? Also they said that I could sign an 11x Option 4 now and I could re-negotiate when they come online. Normally I would say this sounds like B.S. but they explained that I could do this re-negotiation process from school (in NY) instead of having to fly home (NC) to sign the whole contract. I explained to them that I would back out of my contract if I were to not get the Option 40 and they said they understood. Does this sound like a good move or should I spend the money in November/December to fly back and get my contract?
I just went to meps yesterday, (August 13) and they told me that because my ship date wouldn't be until next July the training dates for RASP and BAC wouldn't be loaded on the system until January. So this makes me think that is a correct statement.
RASP Class 06-12
August
Embryo

Post by August »

Pat89,

Thanks for the heads up. I'm calling my recruiter every week to ask him to check the computer for jobs so I doubt I'll have to wait until January if you got an opt. 40 with a ship date only one month before mine would be.
RASP Class 06-12
August
Embryo

Post by August »

I watched one of the guys at MEPS call the ROC and he said that the ROC said that the training dates are too far out to be loaded yet. I only somewhat believe this because the 68w part of the training is more than four months long so that I wouldn't start BAC until 2012 but I'm just going to keep having the recruiter check the computer until it appears.
RASP Class 06-12
whiskeytangofoxtrot
Embryo

Post by whiskeytangofoxtrot »

Rangers,

I have encountered this exact situation. They first explained there were no 68W slots available, much less a 68W w/ an Option 40. They called as they put it, The ROC and one magically appeared, with surprising perks might I add. Actually, Ranger Goon, your story made me wonder if it was in fact me who came into your office but the date of your post was about a month early.

They offered me a $5,000 sign-on bonus, entry as an E-4, as well as my choice of duty station anywhere in the world. They tried to tell me I could choose Ft. Benning and bust my ass and make a name for myself, and that would get me my shot at Ranger school. I didn't bite, I turned it down.

I do however have a question and that is, Could you see a lot of Infantry Ranger contracts potentially being available, as opposed to say, a 68W Ranger contract? Is there an easier shot at getting an infantry contract w/ an option 40 as opposed to a 68W based on the ratio of Infantry to Medics?

Also, if I did bite and take their offer, I read on another forum it was possible to lateral over as a Medic? Is there truth to this?

That forum did also mention that it was possible to enlist as a Forward Observer and lateral over. Keeping that in mind, could I enlist as a 13F w/ Option 40 and then re-enlist/re-negotiate as a 68W? Not gonna lie, I love saving lives more than anything, and the medical training I'd receive would be second to none.....However.....the thought of raining down hate and discontent like a mother fucker on some camel-fucking shitstick Al Qaeda dicksneeze gets me a little antsy in my pantsy.
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

From what I have seen in my limited time as a recruiter thus far, there have been more 11x opt. 40's pop up than 68W opt. 40's. Switching MOS's is always a re-enlistment option. One of our medics that I met right before I left was a former 11B who did just that. We also had a pvt. that was in the process of switching over to an M.I. MOS right before I left. If you get to Batt., do well, and get your Tab, then you can pretty much do anything. I think that most would even say that you would be an even more valuable Ranger Medic with prior line time experience as an 11B.
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010

Return to “Recruitment Process”